The real deal on specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meeza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the school you receive your DMD/ DDS actually hold any weight for specializing? For example, completing a postdoc as a PhD candidate would be easier coming from a large name school, such as an Ivy League.

Specifically, would a name like Penn make for a more successful career, over UF? That being said, would it also be harder to be at the top of your class at Penn (I would think not, as I'm sure dental students at any school will work extremely hard).

Excluding the factor of cost, can anyone describe why you would choose one school over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

No I wouldn't say it's the name that inherently helps in specializing, it's the fact the Ivy's/some other schools are P/F and don't rank their students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Try to find the % of UPenn v. UF grads. who are specializing; residency programs likely have an idea of the clinical preparedness a specific dental school offers (for example, 90% of HSDM grads. end up specializing).

Reactions: 1 users