the real reason

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foot2foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, what are some of the real reasons out there about why you choose to pursue podiatry! Be honest please.

Members don't see this ad.

For me it is more because of past experiences. Back in 8th grade I had plantar fasciitis in both heels. The doctor I saw was a family friend and I did landscaping for him from 9th grade until Jr year in college. He always talked to me about what is best for me. During HS we had to do job shadows and I shadowed him for a week. It was really interesting to watch him. It was really appealing to me.

My analogy is like pitchers in baseball. The MD/DO is the starting pitcher who everybody goes to when they have any injury. They get the start and they go throughout the basics of what your injury is. If it is a foot injury they are not gonna get the complete game and be the sole reason someone is healed. The nurses are the set-up men and the long relief pitchers who get the basic vital signs and blood work. Then you NEED the closer who is the PODIATRIST. Every good team needs a good closer. The closer finishes off the game and that is what the podiatrist does for your foot injury. I know seems kind of odd that I have a sports analogy but as a huge sports fan this what I think of for why a podiatrist is a necessity.

A separate medical program for a group of doctors that focus solely on the leg is a great idea because when you look at the human body you can function everyday with just a minimal amount of issues with a broken arm or collarbone, but a broken foot or ankle causes problems to someone because now you can't walk.

I honestly didn't even know "DPM" was a thing until about a week ago. Since then, though, I've been doing my best to do research on it.

Always thought podiatry was a specialty one might go through while in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly didn't even know "DPM" was a thing until about a week ago. Since then, though, I've been doing my best to do research on it.

Always thought podiatry was a specialty one might go through while in med school.

That is kinda how I thought it was in September when I stumbled upon SDN. My advisors made it sound like it was EXACTLY what your last sentence stated. But since I realized this in September my only focus has been Podiatry.

Diabetic limb work, sports med, some surgery - but not only just doing surgery, & the residency only being 3 years helps since I'm just a little older than the norm