AAMC FL vs Real

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranjis McBasketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you guys took the MCAT, were your AAMC full length test scores for #1 and #2 similar to the real thing?

Members don't see this ad.

When you guys took the MCAT, were your AAMC full length test scores for #1 and #2 similar to the real thing?
When I took it we only had the sample test and test #1!!! My score on my actual test was lower than test #1!!! Not to scare you but my real test was more like the section banks on steroids. Maybe things have gotten better though with an additional practice test.

I am curious about this too. I scored 502 on full length 1 after about a month of prep. I'm not going to take full length 2 until a week before my exam, which is 6/30.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never took the AAMC FL but I took about 2-3 Next Step exams (which are "supposed" to be harder than the real thing) and got 504 on average. When I took the actual Mcat I got 493 on the real thing :mad::arghh::yeahright:. I was so angry for feeling deceived. I didn't take the actual Mcat any differently. It was my second time taking it too.

Reactions: 1 user
I have yet to take the real thing but what I have gathered from SDN is that the AAMC FLs are the closest to the actual test. And, this goes for all of the AAMC materials. The section bank (which is supposedly the most difficult practice set), is a representation of the of those difficult questions on test day, so give these questions more time and understand the explanations thoroughly (these are much harder than the q-packs).

After AAMC FLs, I think EK/NS FLs are the best out there.

Not really
I just took the test on 3/31 but I voided
But the Real test was nothing like the AAMC
the C/P really emphasized Orgo and Physics, If you didnt know your formulas and functional groups you were ****ed
The CARS passages were way longer than the practice, this threw off my timing alot
Bio was the one section that I thought was similar but it didnt have too many experimental based passages
P/S was the worst, there were alot of Sociology terms that I never seen before
But take everything I say with a grain of salt
Because AAMC is allowed to test anything and everything in their MCAT topics outline
On one test there may be alot of a particular topic and on the next not at all
Good Luck!

Not really
the C/P really emphasized Orgo and Physics, If you didnt know your formulas and functional groups you were ****ed
The CARS passages were way longer than the practice, this threw off my timing alot
Bio was the one section that I thought was similar but it didnt have too many experimental based passages
Because AAMC is allowed to test anything and everything in their MCAT topics outline
Good Luck!
I disagree, there was only waves on the physics MCAT... P/S was very sociological, I didnt know 30% of the terms but was able to go 50:50.

I agree with CARS was very long and boring. I guessed on 1 section due length and complexity.

As a biochemistry Major Sociology/Psych was hardest tied with CARS.

It's probably going to be different for everyone. I found my AAMC full length to be representative and I had hardly any orgo on my test. Next to none. The test changes so you just have to be prepared for any of the subjects that can be tested.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the response guys! Ill just have to keep grinding.

What about Kaplan? I got slapped silly by the Kaplan full length 1 today haha

Reactions: 1 users
Not really
Good Luck!

I disagree, there was only waves on the physics MCAT... P/S was very sociological, I didnt know 30% of the terms but was able to go 50:50.

I agree with CARS was very long and boring. I guessed on 1 section due length and complexity.

As a biochemistry Major Sociology/Psych was hardest tied with CARS.

I agree with both of you. I had a bunch of physics kinetics but when my sibling took it a month after me he had barely any physics.

My highest scores were bio and CARS while PS suffered the most. Sock/psych for my first attempt felt easy. Soci/psych for my second attempt was noticeably harder.