The Real Rush Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ipGVn1znj


Where is the document this screenshot is from?? All I can find online is the 2014 data.
 
Thanks for providing the screenshot, IkeBoy18.

Well, there you have it, now it's official. 7 unfilled spots. I can only hope that this is the eye opener that Rush so desperately needs. Hopefully they will stop living in denial and acknowledge their inherent flaws. The time to change is now.
 
Thanks for providing the screenshot, IkeBoy18.

Well, there you have it, now it's official. 7 unfilled spots. I can only hope that this is the eye opener that Rush so desperately needs. Hopefully they will stop living in denial and acknowledge their inherent flaws. The time to change is now.

jesus man, did some rush attending screw your wife or something? i have never seen someone so obsessed with trying to trash a program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jesus man, did some rush attending screw your wife or something? i have never seen someone so obsessed with trying to trash a program.

Say what you will about me, but my objective is not to 'trash the program'. The point of this thread, which I had stated earlier, is to inform the applicants by presenting a side to a story that they would not have heard at interviews, dinners, etc.

If I really wanted to trash Rush, I could have. I could have publicly called out attendings, revealed embarrassing secrets, brought to light policies/practices which I find questionable, etc. In fact, a part of me would have found it personally gratifying to humiliate those who once humiliated me. However, such behavior would have been neither professional, nor constructive, nor helpful to those seeking an honest opinion.

Even now, in the very post you quoted, I stated my hope that they acknowledge their flaws and change themselves (as opposed to continuing to spiral down and face misfortune). I do genuinely hope that Rush becomes a better place, the place it wasn't when I was there.
 
Thanks for providing the screenshot, IkeBoy18.

Well, there you have it, now it's official. 7 unfilled spots. I can only hope that this is the eye opener that Rush so desperately needs. Hopefully they will stop living in denial and acknowledge their inherent flaws. The time to change is now.

Last year they had 8 unfilled spots so I don't think this will be as big of an eye opener as you think. Don't get me wrong though I think you probably influenced quite a number of people. Nice work? 👍
 
Say what you will about me, but my objective is not to 'trash the program'. The point of this thread, which I had stated earlier, is to inform the applicants by presenting a side to a story that they would not have heard at interviews, dinners, etc.

If I really wanted to trash Rush, I could have. I could have publicly called out attendings, revealed embarrassing secrets, brought to light policies/practices which I find questionable, etc. In fact, a part of me would have found it personally gratifying to humiliate those who once humiliated me. However, such behavior would have been neither professional, nor constructive, nor helpful to those seeking an honest opinion.

Even now, in the very post you quoted, I stated my hope that they acknowledge their flaws and change themselves (as opposed to continuing to spiral down and face misfortune). I do genuinely hope that Rush becomes a better place, the place it wasn't when I was there.
Thanks for showing such restraint...
You come across as definitely having an axe to grind, and all of those things you said you could have done, you did. Continuously. To the point that it made me question your motives. I think a bit of introspection will reveal to you that you did this as a vendetta against people who you felt treated you poorly. Not trying to defend the program, as I have no dog in the fight. I am sure they have their problems, but your motives seem to stem from a great deal of anger. I am sorry that you had a poor residency experience. It is probably best for your own well-being for you to move past it and let it go.
 
Thanks for showing such restraint...
You come across as definitely having an axe to grind, and all of those things you said you could have done, you did. Continuously. To the point that it made me question your motives. I think a bit of introspection will reveal to you that you did this as a vendetta against people who you felt treated you poorly. Not trying to defend the program, as I have no dog in the fight. I am sure they have their problems, but your motives seem to stem from a great deal of anger. I am sorry that you had a poor residency experience. It is probably best for your own well-being for you to move past it and let it go.


I'd have to respectfully disagree with the fact that Triple AAA has an axe to grind and is out to "get" Rush.

I do not know Triple AAA but personally know a number of Rush residents/past residents and they're experience was universally miserable. I lived with one for all of residency, so I feel pretty confident in saying that.

While I do not know this for fact, I feel that the point of the thread is for those applying and interviewing at Rush to not have wool pulled over their eyes on interview day. Yes Chicago is a blast, and in any interview day people can make a program seem good or great. Like the people who thought this before them, don't let that fool you and decide to go there. You're unhappiness and lack of support for years is just not worth it. Plenty of other programs to choose from.
 
I'd have to respectfully disagree with the fact that Triple AAA has an axe to grind and is out to "get" Rush.

I do not know Triple AAA but personally know a number of Rush residents/past residents and they're experience was universally miserable. I lived with one for all of residency, so I feel pretty confident in saying that.

While I do not know this for fact, I feel that the point of the thread is for those applying and interviewing at Rush to not have wool pulled over their eyes on interview day. Yes Chicago is a blast, and in any interview day people can make a program seem good or great. Like the people who thought this before them, don't let that fool you and decide to go there. You're unhappiness and lack of support for years is just not worth it. Plenty of other programs to choose from.

except you have multiple CURRENT residents, myself included, that have commented on how things have changed for the better. Yet you, as someone who didn't even go to rush, continue to come back to this thread to bash the program. its absolutely baffling to me.

if youre a medical student and reading this please dont rely on people who A. went to this program years ago, B. didnt even go here. chicago is an unbelievable city, and you'll probably work 55-60 hours a week at rush. if that sounds like fun to you come check the program out for yourself.
 
Gasguy01, So potential applicants are supposed to believe residents like you and the other two(Keyser-soze and Cobra30 ) on here who all have LESS THAN 5 POSTS TOTAL amongst yourselves ALL in defense of Rush? That Abe character seems to excuse all the abuse away just because people get into fellowhips, and is trying to make others out to be lazy. Please, go sell the koolaid to the idiots. The numbers alone two years in a row speak for themselves.

TripleAA, I hope you are much happier now. I had just as miserable time in residency due to a PD whom a friend of mine called "a rabid dog" who treated us like a bunch of kids as well. My mistake at the time though was speaking out about it, which got me into deeper **** and almost got my residency extended. Times are much, much better for me now, but that evil bitch is still there making others miserable. I got a call about four months after I left from one of the junior residents, a Hispanic guy. Sure enough, he was the next black sheep. PD's like that always find someone to focus on and terrorize. Often times it's a minority (woman, person of color). Sad.

Glad that is over. Our anesthesia techs and schedulers though were much better than yours it looks like.
 
Last edited:
With this thread and the Northwestern thread, it seems like Chicago programs aren't so hot.
 
Thanks for showing such restraint...
You come across as definitely having an axe to grind, and all of those things you said you could have done, you did. Continuously. To the point that it made me question your motives. I think a bit of introspection will reveal to you that you did this as a vendetta against people who you felt treated you poorly. Not trying to defend the program, as I have no dog in the fight. I am sure they have their problems, but your motives seem to stem from a great deal of anger. I am sorry that you had a poor residency experience. It is probably best for your own well-being for you to move past it and let it go.

For the record, I did not. Nowhere in any of my posts, did I name any attendings (ie publicly calling them out). It was other users who outed my PD. I had many criticisms of the program, but I did not do/say anything that could really be considered public humiliation. In short, I really could have done ALOT worse if I had wanted to.

I do admit that I feel alot of anger and bitterness towards many of the people at Rush, as well as the experiences which I endured. Anybody who had experienced the things that I described would have felt the same way, which is the point. I think it goes without saying that had I had a positive experience, I would have been one of the posters defending the program. It is because my experiences were so bad that I wanted to take the time to warn others who have not yet applied.

As with any bad experience, letting things go takes time. The healing process began the very day that I left that place and is continuing. I can take solace in the fact that I at least spoke out about my bad experiences and potentially saved others from the same.
 
Last edited:
Gasguy01, So potential applicants are supposed to believe residents like you Gasguy01 and the other two(Keyser-soze and Cobra30 ) on here who all have LESS THAN 5 POSTS TOTAL amongst yourselves ALL in defense of Rush? That Abe character seems to excuse all the abuse away just because people get into fellowhips, and is trying to make others out to be lazy. Please, go sell the koolaid to the idiots. The numbers alone two years in a row speak for themselves.

TripleAA, I hope you are much happier now. I had just as miserable time in residency due to a PD whom a friend of mine called "a rabid dog" who treated us like a bunch of kids as well. My mistake at the time though was speaking out about it, which got me into deeper **** and almost got my residency extended. Times are much, much better for me now, but that evil bitch is still there making others miserable. I got about four months after I left form one of the junior residents. Sure enough, he was the next black sheep. PD's like that always find someone to focus on and terrorize. Often times it's a minority (woman, person of color). Sad.

Glad that is over. Our anesthesia techs and schedulers though were much better than yours it looks like.

Thank you. Yes, life is now considerably better than it was in residency. I'm glad you're in a better place now too.

As an aside, this post is precisely the reason I waited before saying anything in the first place. I do admire your courage, and I wish I had been more outspoken at the time. Applicants/medical students: Do not expect to hear anything negative from any current residents. Those who feel that they are being mistreated are likely also holding their tongues out of fear of punishment. You deserve to hear all sides of each story, not JUST the positive side (which is all you would hear if our PD, several attendings, and the 'current' residents had their way).
 
Hey all,

TL😀R; Rush was way nicer than I thought it would be.

The full story: I hadn't read the negative post here or heard about the malignant reputation (and oh God did I hear negative things after I matched) until well after I locked myself in. I read the OP's post near the start of my intern year, and honestly it kinda scared me. Throughout my CA-1 year I was pretty apprehensive and ready to get totally rocked. But then CA-1 year came and went and CA-2 started. And my bum was only *mildly* sore, well within my expectations of residency!

So what's different now compared to back then? New program director, more helpful techs, and the guy who does the schedules and room assignments is being replaced by two other people. The program coordinator has two assistants who actually are very solid; between the three of them they are very reliable. I feel like the workload is reasonable, case diversity is solid and the rest of the crew is very likable. I've worked with many attendings who graduated from Rush; for instance basically the entire crew of Northshore at Skokie graduated from here and they have NIGHTMARE stories that are nothing like now. It's nothing like it was ten years ago, or even five years ago. My class has some complaints but for the most part we're pretty satisfied from what I've heard.

So in terms of what still remains . . . the program is a private practice. They've made attempts to make us happier, but ultimately their first priority is money. ALL of the problems previously mentioned can basically be traced back to the heads not being willing to add money to the educational side of the program. They've since realized this and remedied many of the problems previously mentioned, but you can still see it peeking through. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion.

-Me
Anesthesia PGY-something
 
Last edited:
Hey all,

Disclaimer: I'm like the most positive sucker out there. I probably feel more positively about everything than most people.

TL😀R; Rush was way nicer than I thought it would be.

The full story: I matched at Rush after my significant other got a job in Chicago and I was compelled to only preference Chicago programs. I hadn't read the negative post here or heard about the malignant reputation (and oh God did I hear negative things after I matched) until well after I locked myself in. I read the OP's post near the start of my intern year, and honestly it kinda scared me. Throughout my CA-1 year I was pretty apprehensive and ready for a rollicking good butt rocking. But then CA-1 year came and went and CA-2 started. And my bum was only *mildly* sore, well within my expectations of residency!

So what's different now compared to back then? New program director, more helpful techs, and the guy who does the schedules and room assignments is being replaced by two other people. The program coordinator has two assistants who actually are very solid; between the three of them they are very reliable. I feel like the workload is reasonable, case diversity is solid and the rest of the crew is very likable. I've worked with many attendings who graduated from Rush; for instance basically the entire crew of Northshore at Skokie graduated from here and they have NIGHTMARE stories that are nothing like now. It's nothing like it was ten years ago, or even five years ago. My class has some complaints but for the most part we're pretty satisfied from what I've heard.

So in terms of what still remains . . . the program is a private practice. They've made attempts to make us happier, but ultimately their first priority is money. ALL of the problems previously mentioned can basically be traced back to the heads not being willing to add money to the educational side of the program. They've since realized this and remedied many of the problems previously mentioned, but you can still see it peeking through. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion.

-Me
Anesthesia PGY-something

Glad to hear that things have improved so significantly. Indeed, this sounds nothing like the nightmare that I (and your attendings) endured.

I consider myself a reasonable person. All I really wanted was to warn everyone of my experiences at the program and hope that I could save others from the same fate. Along those lines, I indirectly hoped that the unsuccessful match results of the program would somehow bring about change. I don't know if my posting actually had this effect or not, but either way, it appears my warnings are no longer necessary.

Good luck with the rest of residency, kid. You'll still like being an attending A LOT better.
 
The market place has spoken.

In the 2014 NRMP match advanced positions across the country filled at a rate of 93.6%. At Rush the match rate was 38.4%. Of the 13 regular advanced positions Rush offered only 5 filled. This is all anyone needs to know.

How do you find this data? It would really help when judging between programs. All the interview dinners and tours give you the same information.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RUSH RESIDENT HERE!

Currently a CA3 and almost done. I saw this post when I was a CA1, thought it was ridiculous then (on so many levels) but wanted to wait and see. And now at the tail end of my residency, I will say that I 100% whole heartedly disagree with the original post (so much so that I decided to join sdn to post about it).

I echo everything all of the other Rush residents have said.
1.) Ancillary staff doubled: Anesthesia techs do all turnovers and are available on the spot, all we have to do is draw up meds. This takes away from the "service oriented" issue tremendously
2.) New PD: though I had no issues with the previous PD, the new PD has a completely different outlook/personality. Willing to work with residents and will take any resident complaint or issue to heart. Almost to a fault. Her only concern is resident happiness/education. Don't get me wrong, she expects a lot from us. But she should.
3.) Workload: We have more staff to assist with On Call scheduling and therefore call is completely fair. 4-5 calls per OR month is amazing. Typically 1 Saturday call and either a Friday/Sunday call. (can you expect anything less?)
4.) Coordinator: Basically a NON-issue. This person has a lot more staff assisting them and I never feel pushed/pulled around.
5.) Staffing: We have SRNAs and CRNAs that definitely take the brunt of the non-OR anesthesia time which leaves us with a variety of "resident level" cases. Also assists us in having 50-60hr weeks in the OR. NOTE*** I don't think I have ever relieved a CRNA unless I was on call.
6.) Attendings: Really are family to me now, so difficult to say anything negative. There is no one that I wouldn't want to work with. Most, if not, all are easy going and willing to mentor/teach. We also just hired a handful of newly fellowship trained attendings who are super eager to teach and take on more leadership roles.
7.) Education: like any big program, we do a lot of studying on our own. BUT daily we have either mock orals, case discussions, test questions, simulations, intraop prompts, M&M's, attending lectures, guest lecturers, journal clubs, supplemental online learning.... I think that's more than enough! If you need more than that, I can't even imagine it!
8.) can someone please ask how residents do post residency?! FELLOWSHIPS/JOBS: We have an EXCELLENT fellowship rate at highly competitive programs (CONSISTENTLY!). People go are able to return home, whether it be east coast or westcoast. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with job placement in highly metropolitan areas. If anything we are highly marketable because of our "workhorse" reputation.
9.) resident life: Coming from a large residency that allows for work/life balance in an awesome city, it makes it easy to make colleagues into friends and friends into family. Everyday, something is going on in the city, and I guarantee our residents are hanging out together. Makes any bad day, a good day.

So in conclusion: A program that trains you well for four years allowing for work/life balance that provides excellent fellowship/job perspectives.

Unfortunately I think this ill reputation/original post has contributed to our poor match the past few years (its the second link that pops up when you google RUSH Anesthesia!). One of the reasons I wanted to post and debunk the issues raised by the original post. I definitely think we're a different program than only 5years ago (definitely 10years ago). The general sentiment from residents are that they are happy. Furthermore, I am extremely. PROUD to say I came from Rush.

I will say to ALL applicants, DO NOT USE SDN to tell you how to rank. It doesn't have the same reliability as trip advisor-something you would use for a one week vacation. Why would you use it to decide something that will impact 4 years and potentially your entire career? The reason why you interview is to also interview the program. Every program ebbs and flows and has positives and negatives. You need to decide what is most important for you during four years and place the most value on that.

Do I need to make a 2.0? I'm sure the other Rush residents would support.
 
Glad to hear you are happy at Rush. Other than this thread, I have heard through the grapevine it is a good program. The truth is that most programs are fine. Only a handful are terrible, most are middle of the pack and a handful are leading the pack. The confusing thing is that the needs or wants of each applicant are different, so one person's number one pick might not even be a consideration for someone else.
 
RUSH RESIDENT HERE!

Currently a CA3 and almost done. I saw this post when I was a CA1, thought it was ridiculous then (on so many levels) but wanted to wait and see. And now at the tail end of my residency, I will say that I 100% whole heartedly disagree with the original post (so much so that I decided to join sdn to post about it).


I echo everything all of the other Rush residents have said.
1.) Ancillary staff doubled: Anesthesia techs do all turnovers and are available on the spot, all we have to do is draw up meds. This takes away from the "service oriented" issue tremendously
2.) New PD: though I had no issues with the previous PD, the new PD has a completely different outlook/personality. Willing to work with residents and will take any resident complaint or issue to heart. Almost to a fault. Her only concern is resident happiness/education. Don't get me wrong, she expects a lot from us. But she should.
3.) Workload: We have more staff to assist with On Call scheduling and therefore call is completely fair. 4-5 calls per OR month is amazing. Typically 1 Saturday call and either a Friday/Sunday call. (can you expect anything less?)
4.) Coordinator: Basically a NON-issue. This person has a lot more staff assisting them and I never feel pushed/pulled around.
5.) Staffing: We have SRNAs and CRNAs that definitely take the brunt of the non-OR anesthesia time which leaves us with a variety of "resident level" cases. Also assists us in having 50-60hr weeks in the OR. NOTE*** I don't think I have ever relieved a CRNA unless I was on call.
6.) Attendings: Really are family to me now, so difficult to say anything negative. There is no one that I wouldn't want to work with. Most, if not, all are easy going and willing to mentor/teach. We also just hired a handful of newly fellowship trained attendings who are super eager to teach and take on more leadership roles.
7.) Education: like any big program, we do a lot of studying on our own. BUT daily we have either mock orals, case discussions, test questions, simulations, intraop prompts, M&M's, attending lectures, guest lecturers, journal clubs, supplemental online learning.... I think that's more than enough! If you need more than that, I can't even imagine it!
8.) can someone please ask how residents do post residency?! FELLOWSHIPS/JOBS: We have an EXCELLENT fellowship rate at highly competitive programs (CONSISTENTLY!). People go are able to return home, whether it be east coast or westcoast. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with job placement in highly metropolitan areas. If anything we are highly marketable because of our "workhorse" reputation.
9.) resident life: Coming from a large residency that allows for work/life balance in an awesome city, it makes it easy to make colleagues into friends and friends into family. Everyday, something is going on in the city, and I guarantee our residents are hanging out together. Makes any bad day, a good day.

So in conclusion: A program that trains you well for four years allowing for work/life balance that provides excellent fellowship/job perspectives.

Unfortunately I think this ill reputation/original post has contributed to our poor match the past few years (its the second link that pops up when you google RUSH Anesthesia!). One of the reasons I wanted to post and debunk the issues raised by the original post. I definitely think we're a different program than only 5years ago (definitely 10years ago). The general sentiment from residents are that they are happy. Furthermore, I am extremely. PROUD to say I came from Rush.

I will say to ALL applicants, DO NOT USE SDN to tell you how to rank. It doesn't have the same reliability as trip advisor-something you would use for a one week vacation. Why would you use it to decide something that will impact 4 years and potentially your entire career? The reason why you interview is to also interview the program. Every program ebbs and flows and has positives and negatives. You need to decide what is most important for you during four years and place the most value on that.

Do I need to make a 2.0? I'm sure the other Rush residents would support.
Cool post Chief!