The Real Stony Brook Anesthesia 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gasmaster555

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a resident at Stony Brook Anesthesia, I cannot honestly recommend this program to anyone. Nobody but one or two people cares about you or your education here. The CRNAs are treated well and the residents are used to make their lives better. I cannot count the times when I have relieved a CRNA at 5pm so she can go home on time (although residents are technically supposed to go home at 5pm themselves). This has continued to happen this week even though we have our in-training exam in a few days. I am not lazy. I love anesthesia and I like interesting cases but the residents often do boring run-of-the-mill cases well into the evening, with no real educational benefit. The attendings use you as a workhorse. There are many days when I do not get a break to eat lunch, when I am stuck in a room to rot. There is no sense of community here. The nurses don't respect us and our attendings do not back us up. In fact, they throw us under the bus if something goes wrong. I regret the day I ranked this program and I hope my post dissuades you from coming here. Many of the current residents hope ACGME shuts the program down.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Gallagher (the PD?) seems like such a good guy though.

Might want to post this on the anesthesia forum too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You relieve the CRNAs because if you don't they'd get overtime. It's not about making their lives easier, it's about cost containment. If you're going to whine about a fact that's not that uncommon and almost certainly present when you interviewed, at least understand why they are doing it.
Presumably you have a lot of faculty. It's unfortunate that only 2 care about your education. They must prepare those lectures and intra op discussions for some other reason. Maybe for the CRNAs?

--
Il Destriero

Had a buddy graduate over a decade ago, seemed to like it. Maybe CRNAs were not as prevalent back then? I hear decent things about their other residencies so my impression of the hospital is positive. It sounds like youre just going through a tough time. Idk how different your experience would be at other academic programs in this day and age. :shrug:

The person you should be complaining to about having to relieve CRNAs is the chairman as it is a financial decision. If that is a regular occurrence perhaps the staffing model is flawed, and they need to shift some cRNA's from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock. We used to have some cRNA's that got out at 3 o'clock but as our practice changed the timing didn't make sense anymore and they were forced to leave or transition to the five or 7 o'clock shifts.
The person you should be complaining to about not being allowed to get out early before your in-service exam is your residency director. He is in a position to make that happen but chooses not to. Ask him why.
If you're not getting any real education, no didactics, poor teaching, poor supervision etc. the person to complain to is the ACGME particularly when they come by for their surveys.
All of those things can change.
Though probably not while you're still there.
I would recommend you keep your head down, crush them on their annual surveys and faculty evaluations, grind through the work,maximize your opportunities, and get the hell out of there and make a big payday.

--
Il Destriero

Lol... I'm on the other side of the curtain and have held retractors past 5pm so many days that this makes me laugh so hard. Whiner actually gets to sit down after 5pm, gets lunch breaks, and probably surfs his iphone... life is so hard. I have to go home late for 3 years and then get to make 250k a year. WAH WAH WAH.

Lol... I'm on the other side of the curtain and have held retractors past 5pm so many days that this makes me laugh so hard. Whiner actually gets to sit down after 5pm, gets lunch breaks, and probably surfs his iphone... life is so hard. I have to go home late for 3 years and then get to make 250k a year. WAH WAH WAH.

Wow. Just because you're unhappy due to whatever field/decisions you made, doesnt make any of your statements relevant to this thread.

Op is helping us out here and med students actually appreciate it. It'll help the students be more informed when they're making huge decision such as ranking Hofstra vs Stonybrook when the time comes. As someone set on anesthesiology I wish more residents were open like Op instead of saying their program is great on interview day and then bitching about everything with you once you're in.

Reactions: 1 user

Wow you're such a hard worker and everyone is very impressed. Can we hear about how little sleep you get too? You left it out

Reactions: 1 users
Wow you're such a hard worker and everyone is very impressed. Can we hear about how little sleep you get too? You left it out

Anesthesia groupies mad? Sounds like millenial complaints of not getting to go home at 5pm. Gee, whoever thought residency would involve hard work and staying past the regular 5pm working day. "Omg, nobody cares about meeeee!" It's like reality somehow changed and now all residents are dermatologists!

Anesthesia groupies mad? Sounds like millenial complaints of not getting to go home at 5pm. Gee, whoever thought residency would involve hard work and staying past the regular 5pm working day. "Omg, nobody cares about meeeee!" It's like reality somehow changed and now all residents are dermatologists!

Again, you're being very narrow minded. You said you're not in anesthesiology. You're clearly never going to become a anesthesiologist, given that you're already in residency.

Please keep your toxic culture contained to surgery. Kthanksbye.

Again, you're being very narrow minded. You said you're not in anesthesiology. You're clearly never going to become a anesthesiologist, given that you're already in residency.

Please keep your toxic culture contained to surgery. Kthanksbye.

You're probably never gonna become an anesthesiologist either if you're mindset is I get to go home at 5pm. So keep your entitled culture contained to ... oh god, not even a doctor and doesn't even know what he's talking about; kthanxbye.

So many cultures taking advantage of you where you work hard for 3 years then make 250k/year. Definitely martyrdom.

You're probably never gonna become an anesthesiologist either if you're mindset is I get to go home at 5pm. So keep your entitled culture contained to ... oh god, not even a doctor and doesn't even know what he's talking about; kthanxbye.

I don't think OP's point was about going home at 5 pm. It's more about the unsupportive culture of the program in which a nurse is higher prioritized than a resident on the totem pole.

Welcome to residency.

Without the CRNAs, you would be working much harder.

There are several issues at play here. As stated above it is a cost saving measure, as having them go over their shift encounters financial penalties. Further, they are in practice and employed. You are in training. Pissing you off at most results in a negative review. Pissing them off results in them finding another job.

Not sure why I'm wasting my time on you anymore. I know for a fact via family at a high regarded Ivy program that they're always out the door by 5:00pm.

And there's this:
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/educ...idents/anesthesiology/resident-life/life.aspx

and this
https://www.med.unc.edu/anesthesiology/education/residency/copy_of_FAQ#TypicalDayOR

I can go on for days with examples of gas programs that dont go past 5:00pm.

And you keep repeating 250k for some reason... Per mgma, median starting salary in gas is 400k.

Not sure why I'm wasting my time on you anymore. I know for a fact via family at a high regarded Ivy program that they're always out the door by 5:00pm.

And there's this:
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/educ...idents/anesthesiology/resident-life/life.aspx

and this
https://www.med.unc.edu/anesthesiology/education/residency/copy_of_FAQ#TypicalDayOR

I can go on for days with examples of gas programs that dont go past 5:00pm.

And you keep repeating 250k for some reason... Per mgma, median starting salary in gas is 400k.

You might wanna learn to read first before you start quoting me "typical OR days" and instead check out their call schedules:
  • G1 call: 2pm - 7am (total 18 hrs). The resident is "post call" after their shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G2 or G3 call: 11am - 7am (total 20 hrs). The resident is "post call" after their shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G4 call: Resident comes to work at the regular time (~6:00am) and gets sent home around 9pm when the number of cases in the OR comes to a minimum. The resident is on "home call" at this point and can be called back to work until 6:30am if needed (this seldom occurs). The resident is "post call" after this shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G5 call: Resident comes to work at the regular morning time (~6:00 am) and gets sent home no later than 7pm. The resident is on regular duty the following day.
  • Weekend OR call: 24 hour shift that starts at 6:30am. The residents on call for Sunday are "post-call" after their shift and are off Monday.

Furthermore, thanks for proving my point you frickn genius; if post-residency salary is that good, quit your complaining -- again, reading and logic failures. And LOL good luck finding gas starting 400k...no wonder CRNAs are taking all your jobs.

You might wanna learn to read first before you start quoting me "typical OR days" and instead check out their call schedules:
  • G1 call: 2pm - 7am (total 18 hrs). The resident is "post call" after their shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G2 or G3 call: 11am - 7am (total 20 hrs). The resident is "post call" after their shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G4 call: Resident comes to work at the regular time (~6:00am) and gets sent home around 9pm when the number of cases in the OR comes to a minimum. The resident is on "home call" at this point and can be called back to work until 6:30am if needed (this seldom occurs). The resident is "post call" after this shift and is off for the remainder of the day.
  • G5 call: Resident comes to work at the regular morning time (~6:00 am) and gets sent home no later than 7pm. The resident is on regular duty the following day.
  • Weekend OR call: 24 hour shift that starts at 6:30am. The residents on call for Sunday are "post-call" after their shift and are off Monday.

Furthermore, thanks for proving my point you frickn genius; if post-residency salary is that good, quit your complaining -- again, reading and logic failures. And LOL good luck finding gas starting 400k...no wonder CRNAs are taking all your jobs.

And it still averages out to 55hrs/week.

Also, 400k is mgma figure for what they're paying right now. There is no LOL, that is what's being offered to all grads right now. Gas that has better employment prospects for new grads than plastic surgery does.

And CRNA dooms day has been coming for decades now. Anesthesiology was even considered "dead" in the late 90s. The part that people miss is that CRNAs can never replace anesthesiologists. They actually make more money for anesthesiology groups.

You should really stick to your own saturated field.

Status
Not open for further replies.