The skinny on Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beagle8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone, once and for all, give me an honest opinion on the programs in Chicago? and YES I have done a search and read old threads, but never in my life have I heard more conflicting things about programs in one city.

Case in point-- differing opinions and where I heard/got them from.
1. (old thread) UChicago > Northwestern>> Rush> Loyola>UIC
2. (student) Northwestern has lost a lot of their attendings in Medicine, and UIC is now the best program other than U of C.
3. (scutwork.com) Rush is more prestigious than UIC. Also, better fellowships and notorious for happy residents.
4. (old thread) UChicago sees a very limited amount of medicine/ pathology, but talk about it so much you'd think otherwise.
5. (Northwestern student) Northwestern does not even have aliver transplant/kidney/heart (one of those, I don't remember)
6. (resident at UIC) The program director at UIC is new and is takin the program in great directions.

Someone please help. One last aside---where would you place Northwestern, UIC, UChig in a list that includes Tufts, UMaryland, Jefferson, Brown,Yale???

Members don't see this ad.

This is an honest opinion but it's not going to be any better than anyone else's opinion from past threads. Good luck getting the information you want!

I am only familiar w/U of C and Northwestern. I felt like both programs get very, very strong residents, with U of C getting the edge at this point. Northwestern has dramatically improved their program to get rid of some things that were apparently problems in the past w/too many private attendings, etc. I don't think there is a problem at U of C with not seeing enough medicine/pathology, that sounds totally off base from what I saw on work rounds, what I hear from residents and med students there. I think it would be personal preference between the two based on your interview experience, but I would say U of C is the "better" program based on what I feel is important, but Northwestern has nicer logistics.

On your last list, I only saw Brown but I would put U of C and Northwestern over Brown for someone interested in an academic career or competitive fellowship.

I interviewed at all chicago programs and i talked to the faculty and residents. although everyone is obviously biased towards their own institution, this is what I have concluded. (my power rankings)

1) U of Chicago: best program in the city by far. excellent training. very research orientated. best reputation in city.

2) Northwestern: name carries it well. training could be better. good program but Northwestern name is what helps it get to number two spot. may drop a couple places in next few years.

3) Rush: solid training. very good reputation and fellowship placements. friendly environment. I think in the next couple of years may take over the number 2 spot.

=3) Loyola: excellent clinical training. not as much research going on. solid faculty.

4) UIC: traditionally not as good as above four, but program is improving a lot under Dr. Zar. Could see it going up a couple places in the next couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stryke said:
3) Rush: solid training. very good reputation and fellowship placements. friendly environment. I think in the next couple of years may take over the number 2 spot.

What makes you think this? I'll probably be looking at all the Chicago programs and would be interested in what's going on at Rush to improve their Medicine department and training.

Fermi said:
What makes you think this? I'll probably be looking at all the Chicago programs and would be interested in what's going on at Rush to improve their Medicine department and training.

Why does Rush have to improve it's medicine dept. I think they have a superb program for a place just established about 50yrs ago. I know residents there and they swear that they are happy, party hard and get drunk occasionally.