THE SOAP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I asked this earlier but how do you know if they downloaded your application? I tried adts but it only has dean's office.

ADTS, click on individual programs.. Check for pop up blocker...

Members don't see this ad.

I figure I'll get in on this thread even though I started that other one. I'm an AMG from a lower tier school with very good board scores/grades/etc trying to match in a less competitive field. The big problem seems to be the fact that I left my former program (I made a mistake, they screwed me for it and I resigned). I had two phone interviews on Monday afternoon but I'm getting the tuesday AM radio silence today as well. One place already told me they aren't offering me the spot.

I am really sorry to hear that. If one didnt work out, maybe the second one might... think positive, we are all in a similar boat and we should encourage each other.

You know, in a way this thread is kind of relieving. I really do feel bad for all of you who like me didn't match, but it beats the hell out of the "Oh I walk on water and am applying to all these programs" that I associate with SDN forums, and the support is nice. That said, what happens to people who don't SOAP.

Any AMGs who tried to match into a surgical subspecialty who now are trying to scramble into a prelim surg spot here? :luck::luck:

should i be worried, be honest

USIMG 228/230/pass CS
Internal Med Categorical
and IM Prelim and like 3 transitional

should I of spent my first 30 on Family Med instead of Prelim and Transitional??

Are the unfilled Im prelim spots / unfilled transitional spots more or less competitive than IM categorical

and IM prelim and transitional unfilled spots more or less competitive than family categorical

With no calls as of yet, should I just do FM in the next round? A lot of the IM categorical programs in SOAP are rural or Primary Care focus anyway without too much fellowship opportunity so isnt a IM program in SOAP and FM in SOAP not too much different as far as long term career prospects?

I am a june 2012 graduate of an mid-low tier american allopathic medical school. I applied for IM categorical and didn't match even with 10 interviews under my belt. I've applied to many of the IM prelim spots but heard nothing so far. Feel totally gutted 2nd time around. Best of luck to everyone!

A lot of the IM categorical programs in SOAP are rural or Primary Care focus anyway without too much fellowship opportunity so isnt a IM program in SOAP and FM in SOAP not too much different as far as long term career prospects?

In my opinion, IM rural/primary care and FM are not the same with regards to your long term outlook.

Should you go down the IM route, you will obviously be boarded by the ABIM, thereby making you at least eligible for IM-related fellowships. So, theoretically, let's say you go IM rural/primary care, you can hypothetically take 2 years out for research, and then apply for fellowship.

With FM, you will not have that option.

I sincerely wish you and all SOAPers best wishes.

sent out all 30 right at 2PM yest. No contact as of yet...sent mostly to FM, and a handful to IM...anyone heard anything from these specialties?

sent out all 30 right at 2PM yest. No contact as of yet...sent mostly to FM, and a handful to IM...anyone heard anything from these specialties?

Did the same thing too but with good ratio of IM and FM. None so far.

FMG canadian born, applied 30 at exactly 2pm yesterday to fm, im, TY... received one FM interview yesterday afternoon but since have heard nothing

FMG canadian born, applied 30 at exactly 2pm yesterday to fm, im, TY... received one FM interview yesterday afternoon but since have heard nothing

can you share your creds with us josephine?

I'm in kind of a weird position I think.

I went unmatched. I checked the unfilled programs and the program I ranked #3 has 3 open spots so I obviously reapplied. This particular program sent me a letter at the end of January saying I was a strong candidate and would make a great addition to their program.

Can someone give me some insight???? I don't understand how I didn't match into that program to begin with-I think the only answer is that they didn't rank me, but why send me a letter saying I'd be a great addition to their program, hope to see you next year letter? Did they do that to everyone?
So, does reapplying to this program make me more or less likely to get an offer from there? I'm totally freaking out. I haven't heard anything, from any program, and am constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Is it possible that they will offer me a spot without contacting me today? Is it possible that they think I didn't match there because I didn't rank THEM?

Please help me. I just don't get it. :scared:

I asked this earlier but how do you know if they downloaded your application? I tried adts but it only has dean's office.
On my ERAS adts, it showed by clicking on the program that my app was available but not yet downloaded.

So far, what I gather from the forum, no one has heard anything today. There were a few people who got calls yesterday but nothing today.

At this point, it just dreadful waiting game... you have done all you can.. think positive....

I went unmatched. I checked the unfilled programs and the program I ranked #3 has 3 open spots so I obviously reapplied. This particular program sent me a letter at the end of January saying I was a strong candidate and would make a great addition to their program.

Can someone give me some insight???? I don't understand how I didn't match into that program to begin with-I think the only answer is that they didn't rank me, but why send me a letter saying I'd be a great addition to their program, hope to see you next year letter? Did they do that to everyone?
So, does reapplying to this program make me more or less likely to get an offer from there? I'm totally freaking out. I haven't heard anything, from any program, and am constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Is it possible that they will offer me a spot without contacting me today? Is it possible that they think I didn't match there because I didn't rank THEM?

I'm sorry that this happened to you. I was pretty much in the same situation as you were. The only explanation that I could think of is that they didn't rank us high enough.
I have no idea if reapplying to the same program would boost your application but I hope it does as I'm doing the same thing too (my #1 has prelim spots), I even emailed the faculty member and she responded with a positive note. However, being previously burned, I really don't know how to react to it. I can only hope for the best and trying hard not to have another nervous breakdown. I have yet heard anything from them.

all you can see is if the application is available to the program you selected and if it has been downloaded as of yet - for me 28/30 have downloaded, with the two exceptions being NY based IM prelim positions. im guessing if it's not downloaded by now, it's not going to be before round 1 expires.

2 interviews so far, 1FM yesterday and 1IM this morning. Got an "interest" email late evening yesterday as well but no phone interview follow up after. By 3pm ET 15 programs have downloaded my application, 10 more downloaded by 6pm and last few after 9pm. I'm still not very hopeful. When should the next 10 applications go out? After the last offer (5pm) or before? Will programs be downloading and sorting and interviewing between first offer and last? I double it. I would think they already have their their 1-50 rank for the day. Thoughts?

That is really weird, If you are certain that you ranked them... then it just means they didnt rank you. Could be mis-communication, are you sure the spots open are not preliminary that you didnt apply too? Did you send thank you letters? I would definitely reapply and if they contact you makesure you mention to them that you ranked them 3rd. That way atleast they know that you are interested.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. I was pretty much in the same situation as you were. The only explanation that I could think of is that they didn't rank us high enough.
I have no idea if reapplying to the same program would boost your application but I hope it does as I'm doing the same thing too (my #1 has prelim spots), I even emailed the faculty member and she responded with a positive note. However, being previously burned, I really don't know how to react to it. I can only hope for the best and trying hard not to have another nervous breakdown. I have yet heard anything from them.
Well, my understanding of the match is that even if they didn't rank us highly, we still would have matched into their program because we were ranked and they were unfilled. If the program had filled then I definitely would have thought they didn't rank us high enough. But since there's three spots open...I just don't know.

I'm consistently throwing up. I don't know what to do. Absolutely no calls or emails. I was sure I would match. Peds-good USMLE scores (215/234), and a book chapter being put out through CHOP. First and second year grades not so hot (failed three in my first year but none after that) but everyone said as soon as you get an interview its an even playing field. I interview pretty well-at the open program, the first faculty I interviewed with told the program coordinator she wasn't doing any more interviews because "that was perfect".

So WTFFFFFF

2 interviews so far, 1FM yesterday and 1IM this morning. Got an "interest" email late evening yesterday as well but no phone interview follow up after. By 3pm ET 15 programs have downloaded my application, 10 more downloaded by 6pm and last few after 9pm. I'm still not very hopeful. When should the next 10 applications go out? After the last offer (5pm) or before? Will programs be downloading and sorting and interviewing between first offer and last? I double it. I would think they already have their their 1-50 rank for the day. Thoughts?

I think you are in a pretty good situation right now. I have heard of programs ranking last minute, so something might still come thru..... could you give more insight on the interviews you had?

I dont think downloading applications mean much, most of the time it is automatic. I wouldnt worry too much about that at this point.

That is really weird, If you are certain that you ranked them... then it just means they didnt rank you. Could be mis-communication, are you sure the spots open are not preliminary that you didnt apply too? Did you send thank you letters? I would definitely reapply and if they contact you makesure you mention to them that you ranked them 3rd. That way atleast they know that you are interested.
Yes. I sent thank you letters, I sent emails of intent, I did everything right (or so I thought).
When I reapplied, they had 3 categorical spots open. Categorical and preliminary spots are separated for peds in the "unfilled positions" listing.

I'm just panicking because it's noon and I haven't heard anything. My app was downloaded in 9 minutes (they can download at 2, I checked at 209 and it was downloaded). Has this ever happened to anyone else and they got a spot offered without further contact from the program??

I really want to email the faculty member that said my interview was perfect but I am so scared to break the rules. I am not going to email them, I just want to so badly so that they know I'm still very interested and want to be there.

. When should the next 10 applications go out?

I'd like to know that as well. It's just not clear from the website. Also, if some of the first 30 you applied to are still unfilled, can/should you reapply to them or is your prior SOAP application still valid.

I don't even know why I'm doing this. I have more chance of winning a lottery ticket.

Yes. I sent thank you letters, I sent emails of intent, I did everything right (or so I thought).
When I reapplied, they had 3 categorical spots open. Categorical and preliminary spots are separated for peds in the "unfilled positions" listing.

I'm just panicking because it's noon and I haven't heard anything. My app was downloaded in 9 minutes (they can download at 2, I checked at 209 and it was downloaded). Has this ever happened to anyone else and they got a spot offered without further contact from the program??

I really want to email the faculty member that said my interview was perfect but I am so scared to break the rules. I am not going to email them, I just want to so badly so that they know I'm still very interested and want to be there.

I would be very cautious with email at this point. Just wait and be patient... it will come eventually...

Well, my understanding of the match is that even if they didn't rank us highly, we still would have matched into their program because we were ranked and they were unfilled. If the program had filled then I definitely would have thought they didn't rank us high enough. But since there's three spots open...I just don't know.

I'm consistently throwing up. I don't know what to do. Absolutely no calls or emails. I was sure I would match. Peds-good USMLE scores (215/234), and a book chapter being put out through CHOP. First and second year grades not so hot (failed three in my first year but none after that) but everyone said as soon as you get an interview its an even playing field. I interview pretty well-at the open program, the first faculty I interviewed with told the program coordinator she wasn't doing any more interviews because "that was perfect".

So WTFFFFFF

I misread it, that's really weird if they still have 3 spots open, is it categorical or prelim? I didn't apply to prelim spot initially, only to categorical.
Stay strong, there is nothing much you can do but you did the right thing by re-applying.

Out of curiousity, are all 3 of those spots in the SOAP? No idea if this is the case with that program, but some places will have "research residency" spots held out from the categorical spots in the match but will put them back in play in SOAP if they don't fill. This may be what happened to you.

my wife and I couple's matched, or in this case didn't match. We also feel burned by all the PD love letters we received throughout the interview trail, to open the email yesterday and see "we're sorry", we are both scared, but we had 5 phone interviews yesterday between 2:30 and 8pm and radio silence since.

I am not sure if programs are waiting for something? Are overwhelmed by the number of applications? Are not sure how the process works? Or are willing to offer spots without interviews?

No clue, but scared :scared:
We are both US-IMGs with >240 board scores, and had >20 interview offers in the season, applying to FM.

Flabbergasted

I would be very cautious with email at this point. Just wait and be patient... it will come eventually...

I panicked the moment I went unmatched and immediately emailed the program as soon as I saw they had unfilled spots.

ho boy.

can you share your creds with us josephine?

>240 step 1/2, cs passed all first attempt. Applied kind of late this year (not sept 15) due with scores pending and only had 2 IM ints. No more calls yet.

I misread it, that's really weird if they still have 3 spots open, is it categorical or prelim? I didn't apply to prelim spot initially, only to categorical.
Stay strong, there is nothing much you can do but you did the right thing by re-applying.
It's most definitely categorical spots. You know how when you go to the unfilled programs, there's the letter listings? Like Pediatrics (C programs) and Pediatrics (P programs). Well the program I ranked 3rd is under "Pediatrics (C programs)".
So this means they didn't rank me, because I absolutely ranked them 3rd. My list was certified, I did everything correctly. Which just leaves me confused about why they would send me a letter saying I'd be a good addition and then not rank me.

Nothing yet. I'm desperately holding on to the hope that since I've already emailed them face to face, they're just doing the other applicants first and waiting to contact me because we don't really have anything new to talk about. I am pretty sure this is thought is absolutely foolish.

I panicked the moment I went unmatched and immediately emailed the program as soon as I saw they had unfilled spots.

ho boy.

Dont think about it. They cant reply back cause it is a violation but i am sure they are looking at ur app... relax...

Out of curiousity, are all 3 of those spots in the SOAP? No idea if this is the case with that program, but some places will have "research residency" spots held out from the categorical spots in the match but will put them back in play in SOAP if they don't fill. This may be what happened to you.
Yes all three are in SOAP. It does not say that the program isn't participating in SOAP either. This program is not at a large academic center so I don't know if they would have research spots.

Dont think about it. They cant reply back cause it is a violation but i am sure they are looking at ur app... relax...

Well the faculty member who I interviewed with replied me and told me that she has asked someone to reach out to me for the spots. No reply from the PD.
That was yesterday. Currently no calls nor emails.

Yes all three are in SOAP. It does not say that the program isn't participating in SOAP either. This program is not at a large academic center so I don't know if they would have research spots.

How many spot did they have in total? If only 3, may be they didnt submit a rank list.

the ulcer I am getting will probably become an enteric fistula by the end of tomorrow.

Nothing yet. I'm desperately holding on to the hope that since I've already emailed them face to face, they're just doing the other applicants first and waiting to contact me because we don't really have anything new to talk about. I am pretty sure this is thought is absolutely foolish.

I hope that's the case. I really do. Meanwhile, stay positive.

They had 8 total. So at least 5 filled.

Dont worry about it... programs play these games... it is not necessary for them to call you.. they already know u.. maybe they will just send an offer to u tmr.... think positive...

I got my second email, 1st today, again no mention of an interview. I wouldn't mind if TY/prelim programs just want to exchange love letters and not do the formal phone interview thing, I just don't know if that is normal or not.

I got my second email, 1st today, again no mention of an interview. I wouldn't mind if TY/prelim programs just want to exchange love letters and not do the formal phone interview thing, I just don't know if that is normal or not.

Love letter exchange is better than no letters...

If you are unmatched, and a program you ranked also did not fully match all their spots, then yes, the only explanation is that you were never ranked. Had you been ranked the match algorithm ensures that you match at the program that you ranked the highest that also ranked you to match.

...Is it possible that they think I didn't match there because I didn't rank THEM? Please help me. I just don't get it...

They knew you weren't going to match because THEY didn't rank you. Truly sorry to hear that you're in this position. Unfortunately, this is a game played between applicants and programs on a yearly basis.

All the best to those having to SOAP. I can only imagine how rough it must be to be in your shoes. It's unfortunate that after all the hard work and sacrifice this is how you are rewarded.

Last edited:
Love letter exchange is better than no letters...

I second that.

I hope we all get a job. See this as an extra curve ball life threw at you, and YOU WILL prevail.

I hope that's the case. I really do. Meanwhile, stay positive.
Yeah...I'm grasping at straws but I just feel like-why send me a letter? Why even bother?

Anyway...good luck to you also. I hope things work out!!

I got a call from one program yesterday and haven't heard anything since this morning. The program that called me could essentially be my dream residency program, I could really see myself happy there. I know its kind of a last stitch effort but I wanted to know if anyone was planing on sending thank you emails out or does that count as a violation?.

I'm going crazy. I thought the first round of offers started TODAY at noon ET. It's not until tomorrow? So more sitting around waiting for phone calls/emails for the entire day? Oh my lord, I think I might actually go crazy before tomorrow. No further calls since last post.

It's most definitely categorical spots. You know how when you go to the unfilled programs, there's the letter listings? Like Pediatrics (C programs) and Pediatrics (P programs). Well the program I ranked 3rd is under "Pediatrics (C programs)".
So this means they didn't rank me, because I absolutely ranked them 3rd. My list was certified, I did everything correctly. Which just leaves me confused about why they would send me a letter saying I'd be a good addition and then not rank me.

Well I thought the same thing but I read the NRMP rules and even though they didn't download my app yet...it says in the FAQs that you cannot contact the program regarding weather they download your application or not. I know this is hard for all of us but I guess patience is needed. It would suck to be blacklisted due to a violation of rules

You guys have excellent scores. >240-er AMGs not matching to FM is beyond comprehension.

Anyway, back to my question- anyone figure when round 2 begins? When do we apply to the next 10? Not clear from NRMP.

Yeah...I'm grasping at straws but I just feel like-why send me a letter? Why even bother?

Anyway...good luck to you also. I hope things work out!!

I had strong connections in the program and after all the love letter exchanges (it was handwritten thank you notes FROM THEM), I was dead sure I would matched. They played me. It really is a game for programs.

But then, I can only hope for the best for now. Good luck for both of us and everyone.

You guys have excellent scores. >240-er AMGs not matching to FM is beyond comprehension.

Anyway, back to my question- anyone figure when round 2 begins? When do we apply to the next 10? Not clear from NRMP.

Wednesday after 12 pm.