THE SOAP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it was that easy then everyone would get a 270. Average matching scores should increase as more and more students enter the match each year. I was assuming a score around the national average. To assume otherwise would seem to be arrogant.

If you're aiming for average you might wind up back in this thread in 4 years. 270 or bust for you young grasshopper!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a premed checking in who is really sorry to hear about the troubles that you AMGs and IMGs have had with the match. From reading the posts, it seems like most of you were very deserving applicants who should have matched. As someone who hopes to matriculate to a US MD school next year, I will say that I read through this thread with trepidation. If I matriculate into the class of 2018, there will most likely be around 1000 extra AMGs matching that year compared to the class of 2016, with no corresponding increase in residency spots. Not matching would be a disaster, so if I do get into a school, I guess the only thing to really do is to apply to hundreds of programs in the specialty that I want. It may cost more money, but it's the only way to minimize chances of SOAPing/scrambling. If that means sending the ERAS to 300 IM programs out of the 400, for example, or to every ER program, so be it. Again, I'm truly sorry for what you are going through.

It's easy to get discouraged but for most AMG's, the situation isn't quite as dire as all that. I did very poorly on Step 1 (passed, but not by much) and applied in a relatively competitive field. I applied to ~80% of the programs, still got a good number of interviews (>20-25), went to most of them (17 I think), matched to #4. It's not the fanciest or most well-known program but it's well-regarded in the area and I liked the hospital when I visited.
I think what helped me is the name of my school (top 10ish), excellent LOR's which professed complete confusion over my step 1 score, including one from our chairman who is a huge deal within the field; a better step 2 (US average, nothing to write home about- but better), and nothing but H in my actual specialty clerkships. Oh and I've been told I'm a good interviewee. So honestly, if I can match, so can you.

It's easy to get discouraged but for most AMG's, the situation isn't quite as dire as all that. I did very poorly on Step 1 (passed, but not by much) and applied in a relatively competitive field. I applied to ~80% of the programs, still got a good number of interviews (>20-25), went to most of them (17 I think), matched to #4. It's not the fanciest or most well-known program but it's well-regarded in the area and I liked the hospital when I visited.
I think what helped me is the name of my school (top 10ish), excellent LOR's which professed complete confusion over my step 1 score, including one from our chairman who is a huge deal within the field; a better step 2 (US average, nothing to write home about- but better), and nothing but H in my actual specialty clerkships. Oh and I've been told I'm a good interviewee. So honestly, if I can match, so can you.

Thanks much for the response, do you mind sharing what field out of curiosity? you could pm me with it if you feel more comfortable, but if you don't want to share it period, I understand as well. I won't ever get into a top 10 school (most likely unranked but maybe shot at mid tier with luck), but I've definitely heard that helps. I am interested in IM, EM, and anesthesiology.

Thanks much for the response, do you mind sharing what field out of curiosity? you could pm me with it if you feel more comfortable, but if you don't want to share it period, I understand as well. I won't ever get into a top 10 school (most likely unranked but maybe shot at mid tier with luck), but I've definitely heard that helps. I am interested in IM, EM, and anesthesiology.
You're still a pre-med student. Theres no reason for you to even be looking at this thread outside of curiosity. If you focus too much on what you're going to do in the future, you may lose out on what you need to do now.

Focus on nailing your MCATs and doing the best you can in school. That should be your primary focus right now, because its the only thing in your power. Afterwards you can worry about kicking butt on the boards, and once you're done with that start worrying about what programs you might match into.

Not to mention, your specialty interests could and probably will change over the next 4-5 years.

It may be entitlement but its also in line with what other countries do to protect their graduates. Don't hear about any US grads going to the Caribbean for residency. Residencies should go to US grads first (that meet graduation criteria) since the system was created to funnel these grads to residencies. The idea of IMG/FMG only came up because their weren't enough US grads. Moving forward, particularly in light of increasing US grads, it makes sense to protect them and match and scramble them first and then opening any remaining spots to FMG/IMGs.

This is exactly what's done in the UK.

UK grads first, then EU grads before looking elsewhere even commonwealth countries are treated the same as non-commonwealth countries .... by the time even an american med school graduate is considered there's pretty much nothing left

Reactions: 1 user