The stages in Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grue1some

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stage 1- Researching the field.. Is this the field that I want to work in.
Stage 2- Pre-Reqs/ Volunteer / Observations /Work in PT
Stage 3- Application Process / Interviews
Stage 4- Getting Accepted Or Waiting List
Stage 5- Physical Therapy School
Stage 6- Working as a Physical Therapist
Stage 7- Stay in the field or go do something different (Medical/PA/ETC)

Currently I am in Stage 4. I got accepted and currently exploring more options. Reading some posts, I cant figure out the stage that the people fall in. Some make it obvious by what they experianced in school and working as a therapist. I should also thank dubpt and docwagner for answering some of my questions regarding life as a physical therapist. So please respond to what stage you are currently in and I can answer any questions regarding stages 1-4. Also I am interested in knowing more of stages 5-7.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides dealing with patients and issues, how far advanced can a physical therapist can get? If stuck in a hospital setting then thats the ceiling. If in private practice then the skys the limit.

What is it like dealing with insurance?
Do you agree/disagree with doctors and other staff members regarding patient care?

What do you mean "advance"? If you mean salary, then sure, private practice is the way to go. If you mean responsibility, then either Hospital or PP can give you a lot of management experience. Hospital Rehab director may oversee SLPs and OTs. I work in a hospital now, but started my career in OP sports medicine setting. "Advance" is a very vague term. Where I am now, I see similar patients as early in my career, just not the famous ones.

Dealing with insurance is always frustrating, but thankfully, I have great office staff that really insulate me from the majority of it.

Of course there is going to be disagreements. However, if you can present your case with evidence and logic, and recognize the boundaries of your practice act/training then things should usually work out fine.

Maybe advance is not a good word.. How about years down the road..Will you stay as a physical therapist or will you try other options like medicine.

I chose to go to PT school because, in part, I didn't want the hours of an MD/DO. So, no, I don't want to go to medical school. It is possible to do more administration, but I really enjoy treating patients.

I really see the MD/DOs as colleagues with different areas of training, not necessarily something to move up to. They certainly know things that I don't, but I know things that they don't.

Doc Wagner is probably an exception since he came from a PT background, but I think that he would agree that a decent PT knows more about clinical orthopedic evaluations than most family practice docs.

Yeah...I as are a few others, are in stage 7.

Do I see being a Physician as a "higher" learning base...oh yes, quite definitely. But do I see the PT orthopedic exam as better than the general FP, yes absolutely.
Is being a physician the most difficult thing I could have accomplished in my professional life...oh yes. Does it compare to PT...no way. Does that make me better...no. To be honest 100%, being a DO was so "*%*&ing hard" and getting through residency was so "&*%$ing cool" do I think Physicians are special in their knowledge set...oh yes.
Do I respect PT's...absolutely.

Currently swaying between stage 6 and 7 as I am preparing to apply to PA school and pursue my interest to function as a diagnostic practitioner. Would have went to med school earlier in life, but PA fits into my lifestyle at this time.

Yeah...I as are a few others, are in stage 7.

Do I see being a Physician as a "higher" learning base...oh yes, quite definitely. But do I see the PT orthopedic exam as better than the general FP, yes absolutely.
Is being a physician the most difficult thing I could have accomplished in my professional life...oh yes. Does it compare to PT...no way. Does that make me better...no. To be honest 100%, being a DO was so "*%*&ing hard" and getting through residency was so "&*%$ing cool" do I think Physicians are special in their knowledge set...oh yes.
Do I respect PT's...absolutely.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The breadth of knowledge expected by a physician is greater than any other single profession. Add that to the fact that one screw up with the wrong person with the wrong outcome can end your career, I don't need that type of stress.

Doc, what area of PT did you practice in before med school? And, why the switch from rehab stuff to ED?

Hey, I am also in stage 4 right now. Which school did you decide on? I put a deposit in for one school but am still waiting to hear from a school I've been wait listed on. How did you decide on a school?

Based on cost.. I do not want to pay an arm, leg and my first born for the education =]. A couple people told me to choose the cheapest school. Work hiring you doesnt care on the program. Only about you and your work ethic.

Another thing I found out is in clinic you learn your tricks on the profession. The school itself is just the tip of the iceberg..

truth,

I did outpatient orthopedics for about 3 years, I was also part of the DScPT distance program at U of St. AUgustine...but it was kind of a scam, way easy and too expensive. Decided on medical school.

I chose DO because I wanted Physiatry or Ortho surgery...but in my 3rd year, I rotated with a fantastic ER physician...changed my life.

Stage 6...
questions...

truth,

I did outpatient orthopedics for about 3 years, I was also part of the DScPT distance program at U of St. AUgustine...but it was kind of a scam, way easy and too expensive. Decided on medical school.

I chose DO because I wanted Physiatry or Ortho surgery...but in my 3rd year, I rotated with a fantastic ER physician...changed my life.

You are the man for admitting that Doc. (I still owe you an email BTW) That program spooks me as well. I really wish our profession had a stronger direction. Seems like there are some outstanding PT's out there that have a voice and make a difference. Most however seem content with their current status as ancillary providers and see little reason to do battle with the big boys and fight for the growth of our profession. Thus we see the exodus of many fine clinicians into other professions.

Stage 7; Been a PT for over 7 years (I was lucky b/c I got one of the last BSPT degrees available prior to the mandated change over to MPT). I'm taking an accelerated summer course of Organic this summer (worth 1 year/12 quarter hours), then taking the MCAT in Jan, apply to med school next year. PT is cool, but as stated by earlier poster(s), there's no direction right now in the profession and the debt to potential income ratio is out of wack. Whereas this doesn't affect me directly b/c I got a BSPT, It can potentially affect working relationships when you're working with people that are over 100K in debt and you make more than they do b/c of more experience. I've tried to make myself believe that PT was enough, I've even talked myself out of pursuing med school 3 times!! In the end, I have to go for it. Good luck to all with your aspirations.

-Bb

Stage 7....seems like an eternity. Older (40 yo), but luvin' life though. Questions?

Stage 7....seems like an eternity. Older (40 yo), but luvin' life though. Questions?

Hey Eric. What area of medicine did you go into and did you go osteopathic or allopathic?

Yeah, but I must say its informative