The stats of those that got into NOVA OPTOMETRY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baophan5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior in college and a pre-optometry student in the state of Florida. I really want to go to Nova so I can stay in state near my family. Could those of you accepted please tell me your stats(gpa, science gpa, pre-req gpa), your extracurriculars, and your OATs? Do you know what gpa Nova looks at? For pre-req gpa do they count only the sciences or also the 15 credits of Social/Behavioral Sciences/Humanities and 6 credits of English? Do they also count the 3 credits of Statistics that they strongly recommend?

Also, how bad do drops look? How many drops do you have? Do you have to Ace the class after you drop it? Thank you all very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out that I got into Nova a few days ago.

My total gpa is a 3.4, and I got a 330 on the OAT. I am in a lot of extracurriculars (ie Phi Eta Sigma national honor society, Golden Key, Pre-professional Medical Society, Pre-Optometry, etc.)

I don't know if they count the 3 credits of Statistics, but I took it and got an A. All of the classes that they "strongly recommend" I had already taken. So that probably helped.

I just found out that I got into Nova a few days ago.

My total gpa is a 3.4, and I got a 330 on the OAT. I am in a lot of extracurriculars (ie Phi Eta Sigma national honor society, Golden Key, Pre-professional Medical Society, Pre-Optometry, etc.)

I don't know if they count the 3 credits of Statistics, but I took it and got an A. All of the classes that they "strongly recommend" I had already taken. So that probably helped.

Thank you so much for replying. Congratulations on getting into Optometry school. The 3.4 is all your classes? or pre-req science classes? Do you mind me asking your pre-req science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, the 3.4 is my total GPA. I honestly don't really remember my pre-req GPA lol, but I'm pretty sure it's around a 3.2

Hi baophan5,

I got into Nova with a 340 on the OATs and a 3.87 total GPA. I'm pretty sure my pre-req GPA was around the same. I didn't take any stats course. I did drop Organic Chemistry II (for non-grade-related reasons) and am currently re-taking it. I think if you only have one W it doesn't matter too much in determining your acceptance, as long as you get an A or a B in the class the second time around. As far as extra-curriculars go, I didn't decide on optometry until the end of junior year, so I didn't have too much time to fit in a lot. I was able to shadow 3 different OD's though. Good luck with the application process and with your last year of undergrad! Nova is a great choice, I think - I have had nothing but great impressions from that school and the people who go/work there. I like the location a lot too. Like you, I'm from FL and wanted to be near family (and sunshine! :D)

I was accepted/applied to NOVA (although I will be at SCO) in early sept with

B.S. Biology from University of Georgia
GPA 3.67 pre req was like 3.8
OAT AA 320 TS 330 >>>>BAD=(

I think it helped that I had great LORs and decent GPA. Cuz the OAT score was my weakest link. I did not have much field exposure, so I agree with the other responses you should definitely try to obtain something more than basic shadowing. Good luck with your plans!!!!

Can anyone else tell us their STATS that got you into NOVA?

I am truly curious!

3.2, although i think my pre-reqs were even lower : p
360aa370ts
4 years of internship in 4 settings (12-15 hrs/week)
pres/vp of 3 orgs
25+ hr work per week.

thanks everyone for telling your stats. Please keep them coming:) Does anyone have drops?

Bao, knowing a lot of people's stats won't make any difference. Everyone is unique. The numbers will be all over the place. Try your hardest and find ways to learn more about the profession. The numbers will take care of itself and you will make it. Don't stress about stats unless you make too many C or below.