The stuff dreams are made of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grehlin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm yet another student gearing up for the 2012 match. I read the other "is it possible for me to match to radonc?" threads but they don't address one big difference with me as a candidate. Mainly being that I am from a ("big 4") :scared:Caribbean school :scared:.

Step 1: 240s
Step 2: taking in a few weeks
School Rep: heheh, Caribbean school as stated above
GPA: 4.0 for what its worth
Honored Clerkships: all cores, and electives so far...
Research: No publications

I have the possibility to schedule research electives in Nov and Dec.
RadOnc seems like the perfect marriage bt my inner geeky and my extroverted nature. I know i should know what specialty I am applying to by now, the only I really know is that I enjoy clinic work. I think I could be very happy in IM also but i digress.
I will be doing an elective in September with a RadOnc doc i became close to during my IM rotation. He's a former PD. Hopefully it will be a great experience (and great LOR). He said that it is possible for me to do research at his former dept ( a renowned university in tristate area) in nov/dec.

I have 3 questions:
(1) If I love, love, love RadOnc can't see myself doing anything else after my elective should I (as a carib student) apply this year, with my poor research background or definitely take a year off to apply (i'm flirting with the idea of a year at the NIH or academic institution?)?

(2) Any programs that you recommend I apply to?

(3) For any practicing RadOnc docs, how much time do you spend in clinic? How does this differ in private practice vs academia? I came to medicine so I could immerse myself in the human experience and I won't stay awake at night dreaming of RadOnc if there is little patient contact.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Will follow up on the FAQ for FMG-related info-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, read the FAQ because I've addressed the question of applying as an FMG. I've quoted the relevant section below:
Yes and yes, it happens every year. However, the road is difficult. I can tell you honestly that DO and FMG candidates who are seriously considered for Rad Onc are superior to the average MD candidate. The reason for this is, of course, the preceived stigma of being a DO or FMG in the first place. In addition to copious amounts of research, you should work in a Rad Onc department (preferably the one you are most interested in) to generate face time and make connections.

To answer your other questions:

1. Your application is sorely lacking in research. A research year at NIH or the like would be ideal but if you are good or lucky, you might be able to pull off a publication or two before then.

2. Apply to every program outside the top 10

3. Rad Onc is a specialty that relies on direct patient contact so if you are not a lab guy, you should expect to see patients 4 days a week in most settings.

2. Apply to every program outside the top 10

Speaking of the top 10, I seem to remember GFunk promising a good ol' fashioned top 10 rankings of his own design before finishing residency?? **hint, hint**