The 'Taus' Method for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who used the 'Taus' method for your Step 1 prep...

How long before your exam did you begin your first run through? How long did your first run through take you?

Did you begin practice questions from day 1, like Taus suggests (I think), or did you try to get a bit of a foundation first?

Is there anything you would have changed? Books? Timeline?

To Taus, thank you in advance for putting your study schedule together! From one future PM&R doc to another, I hope you match into a great program!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey TAUS and others on his plan

Did u guys put FA in binder at KIOSK?

Members don't see this ad :)
so has taus told anyone what he/she got on the actual exam??

let's put it this way, if you can match Taus' scores, you can write your own ticket for residency.

ive tried searching no luck plz post a link or the score if you know what it is---just want to know thanks----

Does anyone want to comment on whether they think that performing the annotations 5-6 months out from the test, as opposed to during the 6 weeks out as the plan suggests is counter productive or a good idea?

Does anyone want to comment on whether they think that performing the annotations 5-6 months out from the test, as opposed to during the 6 weeks out as the plan suggests is counter productive or a good idea?

I plan to UNBIND FA so that I can insert pages on which I can write notes.

If you do that, you can anytime delete or add info or replace with new page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something I don't understand about the plan is the path/systems part of the plan (not the basic sciences). How do you use the FA sections in each system, because I know that Goljan is the main source for path. Do you annotate FA into Goljan?

For example the plan for Heme Onc simply says "Goljan 11-15", that's it. What about the FA section about Heme Onc? Just read it over? Annotate FA into Goljan? Annotate Goljan into FA?

Another example: GI says Goljan 17 and 18; and BRS phys Ch4. Does this mean BRS --> Goljan? What do I do with the FA info on GI, if anything?

Thanks

Something I don't understand about the plan is the path/systems part of the plan (not the basic sciences). How do you use the FA sections in each system, because I know that Goljan is the main source for path. Do you annotate FA into Goljan?

For example the plan for Heme Onc simply says "Goljan 11-15", that's it. What about the FA section about Heme Onc? Just read it over? Annotate FA into Goljan? Annotate Goljan into FA?

Another example: GI says Goljan 17 and 18; and BRS phys Ch4. Does this mean BRS --> Goljan? What do I do with the FA info on GI, if anything?

Thanks

It means Physio from BRS and PATH from GOLjan.
physio annotate to FA so that no need to use BRS again.
As per his plan, GOLJAN use it until end.So don't annotate GOLjan to FA. Focus more in GOLJAN whatever related is in FA. Know that stuff COLD more than other stuff from GOLJAN.

Does the plan call for annotating other sources into Goljan or should goljan be left alone and just read and reread?

Does the plan call for annotating other sources into Goljan or should goljan be left alone and just read and reread?

Absolutely leave it alone BUT to save you time later on when you are shorter on time, either flag or highlight info that is hard to remember or you need to look at over-and-over again. That way you won't need to read the whole chapter again when you know most of it already. It's more efficient.

Absolutely leave it alone BUT to save you time later on when you are shorter on time, either flag or highlight info that is hard to remember or you need to look at over-and-over again. That way you won't need to read the whole chapter again when you know most of it already. It's more efficient.

This is actually a really really good idea. Thanks man, bout to do that on my next run through.

so the taus method requires the use of some of the kaplan series---but you cant buy the books separate instead you have to buy the complete 7 set. Now for example it doesn't mention in the taus method to use kaplan for some of the subjects like microbiology but is it imposed anyway that your suppose to go through all the kaplan books including the other review books like BRS physio, HY anatomy, HY neuro, CMMRS and etc or only use the review books and leave out the kaplan books? please clarify this for me

so the taus method requires the use of some of the kaplan series---but you cant buy the books separate instead you have to buy the complete 7 set. Now for example it doesn't mention in the taus method to use kaplan for some of the subjects like microbiology but is it imposed anyway that your suppose to go through all the kaplan books including the other review books like BRS physio, HY anatomy, HY neuro, CMMRS and etc or only use the review books and leave out the kaplan books? please clarify this for me
The only Kaplan thing is the QBook, which I believe you can buy separately. That's it

Last edited:
well he does mention the use of Kaplan for biochemistry in adjunct to rapid review

A had a question about the overall timeline.
It seems like most say this plan takes about 10 weeks.

Is that 10 weeks of full-time studying?

We have a 2 week "review" block and then 4 weeks of dedicated time.

Not sure how much I'll be able to do before that, as regular class studying takes up almost all my time.

I could take an extra 4 weeks of dedicated time if needed.

Some suggest just starting with the time we have and then changing your schedule to extend if you aren't doing as well as you would like based on practice exams etc.

My only problem with that is that I really want to plan things in advance.
So if I need 10 weeks, I'd like to plan for that now.

I'm a pretty average student, with one little hiccup already. I want to ensure I give myself the best chance I can for Step 1.

Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 10-week plan includes the first run through which is basically annotating most books into FA, listening to Goljan audio lectures, and doing subject-specific paper questions.

I'm going to do the this part of the plan while in classes starting now. I just started doing it, and it's not very hard to do...so far. I'm hoping that I can get some year-1 stuff done over winter break, so that by the time my 6-week study time starts in May, I'll have gone through FA once and won't have to look at other outside sources except for RR Path.

We also get less than 6 weeks to study, so it'll be good to have an annotated FA -- I annotate everything, anyway... I like all my info in one place instead of 5 different books.. :thumbup:

Hope this helps :)

well he does mention the use of Kaplan for biochemistry in adjunct to rapid review

I got the 2007 edition of the kaplan biochem book for $15 from an upperclassman. I'm almost through FA biochem (using both rr and kaplan) and I'd say either book would be fine although the nutrition section is much more in depth in rr (goljan's thumbprints?).

But like I said, if you have your heart set on the kaplan book, I'd talk to a 3rd year that took the course; I looked on eBay/craigslist when I was looking to get this book a few months ago and most of those sources wanted to sell their whole series, FYI.

Not sure if this question was asked already but, Taus recommends the Kaplan Q Book, but what about the First Aid Q&A Book. I was thinking of using that instead of the Kaplan Q Book. I already have U World, but I also want a book of questions too. Any thoughts on which book is better as far as its similarity to USMLE questions in content and difficulty level??

Thanks! :)

Not sure if this question was asked already but, Taus recommends the Kaplan Q Book, but what about the First Aid Q&A Book. I was thinking of using that instead of the Kaplan Q Book. I already have U World, but I also want a book of questions too. Any thoughts on which book is better as far as its similarity to USMLE questions in content and difficulty level??

Thanks! :)

This is a common misconception. The purpose of the questions during most of the study period is targeted questions on topics that you just covered. UW is more than enough for USMLE style questions but they serve a different purpose and should be used heavily during last 1/3 of the study period. Until then, Pre-Test style questions are great.

How successful were you Tausians in putting time aside to study for the boards while M2 classes were still going on? How much time would you say you spent in a day and/or week as the second semester progressed?

Edit: Also, since the 1999 HY Cell book is so hard to come by, any recommendations for how to approach the newer one (which I'm planning on getting) so as to avoid the extra crap? I realize that's probably a dumb question, but here's to hoping someone has some insight.

Last edited:
Actually, after reading reviews on amazon about the newer version of HY Cell Bio, it seems like the consensus is that it's way too detailed and poorly focused.

Has that been anyone else's experience?

Oh also, since Taus is a 10 week plan, but I only have about 5-6 weeks of dedicated study time after M2, what's the recommendation for how to handle that? I'd like to start going through the stuff from the Taus plan ASAP, but I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to that, and I'm not sure how long it would take me to get through the equivalent of "one week" in the Taus program.

Oh also, since Taus is a 10 week plan, but I only have about 5-6 weeks of dedicated study time after M2, what's the recommendation for how to handle that? I'd like to start going through the stuff from the Taus plan ASAP, but I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to that, and I'm not sure how long it would take me to get through the equivalent of "one week" in the Taus program.

I got about 4 weeks, so I'm doing the "get through everything in 10 days thing at the end" from the taus method, and then I managed to schedule every subject (Goljan RR, physio, pharm, FA) in the previous 3 weeks + 100 UWorld questions per subject per day.

Are the review books that Taus suggested still the best sources for this year's exam?

yes they're still the best but you can always looka t the back of ur first aid book and they have reviews of all the books too just in case u want more info

if I in my taus hype went to unbind my brs path, brs phys, rr, and fa

i htink i was plannign to consolidate into separate binders, one for lung, which would have the FA pages (phys, path, pharm), with the important pages from other sources all hole punched and in that LUNG BINDER. then i would also have a GI binder, a RENAL binder, and CARDIO binder

for the other subjects, havnt really worked that out

i think i kinda overstretched the intentions of the taus plan?

i was supposed to unbind ONLY fa and make one super binder??

but isnt my plan with more small binders better?

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

if I in my taus hype went to unbind my brs path, brs phys, rr, and fa

i htink i was plannign to consolidate into separate binders, one for lung, which would have the FA pages (phys, path, pharm), with the important pages from other sources all hole punched and in that LUNG BINDER. then i would also have a GI binder, a RENAL binder, and CARDIO binder

for the other subjects, havnt really worked that out

i think i kinda overstretched the intentions of the taus plan?

i was supposed to unbind ONLY fa and make one super binder??

but isnt my plan with more small binders better?

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
The point is to functionally consolidate sources, not just unbind them and rebind them back together (i.e. physically consolidate them.) You read FA, then you read the secondary source. Whatever you don't know that's not in FA but is in the secondary source, you annotate in to FA. On your second pass through FA, you don't need the secondary source. Any info that you glean from Qbank questions that you didn't know before, you annotate into FA.

Though not in Taus's plan, what I plan on doing, since I have started studying pretty early (i.e. in Jan) is that as I evaluate myself (practice tests/Qbank sets, etc) I will periodically go back and review the secondary source for the stuff that I am doing worst in. Then annotate, rinse, repeat.

But, at the end of the day, whichever way you organize your materials that works best for you is the "better" way.

I'm taking COMLEX step I on 7/2 just about 20 weeks away. I was planning on using the TAUS method to study. Any idea on how many pages a week I should cover in FA to prepare?

Also when I begin the systems review do I start with weakest → strongest system?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has used or plans to use the first aid for basic sciences (general principles) and first aid for basic sciences (organ systems) books and what they thought of them. I plan on using the Taus method to study for boards but I relaize that the first aid book he is referring to is the first aid for usmle step 1. The general principles and organ systems books came out in 2009 I believe after the taus method officially came out i guess. So i was just wondering if these would be a good adjuvant...or if the basic first aid book would be good enough. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hi everyone -

I'm planning on following the Taus Method for my boards studying later this spring, and wanted to try to organized some kind of prospective study of this method, as there seems to be a lack of unbiased outcomes data.

So, what I'm hoping to do is round up a group of people who will be following the Taus Method (to some degree) this year who are willing to take a quick survey after taking the boards, and (anonymously) disclose their score - no matter how good or bad it is. In theory, this will provide data that can then help future SDNers decide if this is a good method for them to try.

If you're interested in participating, please send me a PM, and I'll send out the survey as soon as I get it drawn up (it may take me awhile, but I'm aiming for mid-March). Once you take the boards, you can fill out the survey, and either send it back then or wait until you get your score and send them in together. In order to avoid bias, I'll only accept people for participation if they have not yet taken their exam.

If you have any suggestions for questions you'd like on the survey (whether you're participating or not), let me know! Here's what I was thinking of including so far:
- What books did you use?
- How long did you take to complete your studying?
- How many "passes" through the material did you take? (Taus originally recommended 3, but it looks common to shorten it to 2)
- On a scale of 1-5, how closely would you say you followed the method?
- Do you have any advice for future test takers? (will be reported anonymously and in aggregate)

Thanks!
- Stereo

Just wondering if anyone has used or plans to use the first aid for basic sciences (general principles) and first aid for basic sciences (organ systems) books and what they thought of them. I plan on using the Taus method to study for boards but I relaize that the first aid book he is referring to is the first aid for usmle step 1. The general principles and organ systems books came out in 2009 I believe after the taus method officially came out i guess. So i was just wondering if these would be a good adjuvant...or if the basic first aid book would be good enough. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hey - I have both books, and have used them both a little (not extensively). I think you absolutely need the General Principles First Aid book. The Organ Systems book has been useful during my (systems-based) curriculum, but it is in its first edition and therefore FULL of errors - I would definitely not use it as a primary source (or even look at it unless you know what's going on). The publisher has a website that catalogs the current reported errors, so be sure to check that if you do get it. For my studying, I may glance at this book, but wouldn't recommend buying it for boards studying. Hope that helps a little!

Thought I'd post my results from using a modified Taus method:

263/99

You can read my full post regarding all modifications to the plan in the USMLE Experiences and Scores 2009 thread. I basically just added in a few more resources than the original plan suggests.

This method is the most solid plan out there. Do yourself a favor and use it.

Thought I'd post my results from using a modified Taus method:

263/99

You can read my full post regarding all modifications to the plan in the USMLE Experiences and Scores 2009 thread. I basically just added in a few more resources than the original plan suggests.

This method is the most solid plan out there. Do yourself a favor and use it.

Great stuff, AD. Just read it in the other thread.

Could you perhaps give a general breakdown of what your days entailed during your dedicated study time? As well as during the school year, I guess, since I'm still trying to figure out how to divide my time with boards vs. regular class studying.

And when you went on your "first run through" were you annotating much besides CMMRS? I've started going through Goljan (the first couple chapters) and just read through HY Cell/Molec (1999) but I'm not even sure what I'm retaining (especially with Goljan, where there's just so much info). I bought RR Biochem and tried to start reading it and it almost killed me. Such a painful read so far.

ha... I haven't looked at the step 1 forum in a loooong time and can't believe this thing is still floating around...

mr md/phd....come on now...there are better ways to spend your time then statistically analyzing this thing...just find the parts/principles that identify w/ the way you like to study and get to it

everyone should keep in mind that I put this thing together like 3 years ago....so some of it may not be current

on a side note.....I should have sold this damn thing on ebay

ha... I haven't looked at the step 1 forum in a loooong time and can't believe this thing is still floating around...

mr md/phd....come on now...there are better ways to spend your time then statistically analyzing this thing...just find the parts/principles that identify w/ the way you like to study and get to it

everyone should keep in mind that I put this thing together like 3 years ago....so some of it may not be current

Welcome back! Your legacy lives on, Taus!

Although......... One thing that has been completely bugging me ever since I read your word document is this: how in the heck do you pronounce Taus and where'd you get the name from? haha... if you tell me this little secret, I am confident I can score 240+

Welcome back! Your legacy lives on, Taus!

Although......... One thing that has been completely bugging me ever since I read your word document is this: how in the heck do you pronounce Taus and where'd you get the name from? haha... if you tell me this little secret, I am confident I can score 240+

I was in Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity in college....and you pronounce it like you're from NY....ie cawfee, tawk, wauter, etc

Good luck on the boards

I just looked at the word document for the Taus method and some of it is kind of confusing. Maybe Taus could help me out here... For systems is it saying to read first aid in addition to the chapters of goljan and brs or is it saying to read just goljan and brs or whatever is listed and not read FA at all. Another thing was for the Micro basic science section, did you read the whole CMMRS and annotate it in to FA or just the chapters on drugs and bacterial/viral genetics and basic stuff and skip the actual chapters on like gram neg. bacteria and stuff. The order of studying systems I thought was kind of confusing too. It says do anatomy -> phys -> micro etc. so does that mean just do those sections from FA or is that when you go back to CMMRS. Does anyone else think this is confusing or am I just slow??

Yes, you should have but your name is big in the step 1 scene and no amount of money can buy that.

Now I have been working on an updated version of your system for the new generation. I'll email you with it if I ever get time to breath in rotations.

Does anybody have an index of the Kaplan Qbook questions based on system?
ie which questions in the physiology test correlate with endocrine?

Thanks!!

After reading and listening to goljan for a specific topic (heme/onc) there seems to be a few topics in the book that he doesnt cover in the audio. also, for some topics he says very little, like he says something like "the only thing i am going to say about hairy cell is TRAP test, because thats all that matters" . Then i went and did kaplan q's on heme/onc and the q bank didnt really ask about any topic that had not been touched on in the audio (ie. the topics that he left out in the audio were alse left out in the qbank). Even though taus plan say use goljan in full, should we ignore sections not mentioned in the audio or in the qbank?