The "Tell me about yourself" interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

Just throwing out a random question...

How would you answer the question, "Tell me about yourself?"

It's such a simple question, and I know this question is bound to come up in every interview. Just wondering if you would talk about yourself in terms of school and career plans? Or maybe something more personal like hobbies?

Just wanted to hear some opinions :)

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely want to avoid the hobbies, they will ask "what are your hobbies?" if they're really interested. You can touch on grades but not too much because they have all that information anyways in your app. What you want to do is basically describe yourself in a way that explains key moments that brought you to choose pharmacy, according to a career counselor at my school. Make it clear to the adcoms why you want to pursue pharmacy. hope this helps

I would stay along the lines of how you got interested in pharmacy and how your schooling has gotten you to that point. I didn't touch on grades at all, just what I had done through college and where I've worked and how my journey led me to pharmacy. They will ask you questions about career plans separately.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewers do not want to know that you like basket weaving or don't care where you were born. They want you to tell them what you can bring to their school, your areas of study in the past, your goals as a pharmacist, and your interests in reference to pharmacy. I would start with first telling them your name, where you went to school, what you studied, then saying I plan to study at X university because... go from there.