Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

The "Tell me about yourself" question

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Skulleader, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Skulleader

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What exactly are the interviewers looking for with this one? Do they want to know your life story or just your traits/characteristics?

Need some help with this one.

Thanks.

SL

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nchrist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Wilma ritualistically shaved my testicles — there really is nothing like a shorn scrotum — it's breathtaking. I suggest you try it.

4. Mazmel

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

OMG, I LOVE DR. EVIL! Especially in this therapy scene! :D

5. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    helluva 1st post haha

6. dfordat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

One of the pre-health advisors at my schools suggested this. Dont recite your personal statement or your whole application. the whole life span between your birth and your college arrival should not take more than 30 seconds. But within that if there was a moment which triggered your interest in dentistry then elaborarate a little on that. Next you get into college years, this is what they want to know. Tell them why you chose your major, if you did research, extracurricular activities, work, any positions held. You dont have the tell them all of them, pick the ones that you consider to be your sell [pints. Make sure you mention all your sell points in the answer. The total answer should nt be longer than 2 minutes. At the end, you dont want to trail it off, you end by saying, "If there's anything that you'd like for me to go into detail, I'd be happy to elaborate."

The point of this question is to set the stage for further questions, you want to mention thigsn that youw ant them to ask about you. If you did research mention that and they will ask you more questions about it later. If there is a hobby that you enjoy, mention that. Try to relate things to the profession, it shows your interest and committement. Try to set yourself apart in a good way, mention things about yourself that you feel are unique, I mean eveybody volunteers at a hospital. Tell htem a specific experience you had during this or some other dental experience or life experienmce that sets you apart and which encouraged you towards the healthcare field.

This is my suggestion, I hope it helps.

7. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hahaha, I HOPE you searched that, hilarious noob post

8. Doh Boy Fresh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i just say,

well, i'm a senior at ____ universtity name___, I am currently studying ______ major name_____ and I an hoping to be a dentist someday.

9. Skulleader

Thanks, that really helped.

10. TheGreenWave

Dentist 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    LMAO, nice post nchrist. I'm expecting other funny posts in the future.

11. Astral87

Astral87 Predent
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I always tell them the two most important qualities that determines my philosophy and lifestyle in life.

"I am a believer of the buddhist and confucian philosophies."

Most times, the interviewer gets very confused and just drops it at that...

12. xhamburgersamx

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I interview people at my work and ask the same question. Basically what I look for is someone that has something to say about themselves and seems to be prepared for that question. I don't care if it is rehearsed, as long as the person can deliver and communicate in English is good enough. Of course there are interesting things that can help your chances like having a common hobby or interest in the interviewer so throw out things you like to do (i.e. golf, fishing, sports, poker, etc)

Good luck

13. Skulleader

Thanks mate.

14. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    oh this was a serious thread?

15. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member