the three LOR club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliendroid

In Jail using internet
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting only three letters.

I'm getting a prof from Chem department,
one from bio, and my supervisor where I volunteer.

Members don't see this ad.

You only need 3....

aliendroid said:
Anyone else getting only three letters.

I'm getting a prof from Chem department,
one from bio, and my supervisor where I volunteer.

Most schools require the third letter to be a nonscience professor. However, you have to realize that different schools will have different requirements and they will expect you to fulfill their requirements. My exroommate's husband's application was put on hold because he didn't have one extra character letter at one of the schools he applied to this year. Be sure to check that you get the required letters for the schools which you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell is a "character" letter?

To echo gujuDoc, many schools do require a letter from a humanities professor.

The pre-health advisor at my school required us to have at least 4; 2 from science faculty, 1 from non-science, and 1 from a doctor or a supervisor

MB in SD said:
What the hell is a "character" letter?

It is a letter written by someone other then a professor.

USF requires 2 letters written by someone outside of your professors. This could be a research supervisor, physician, peer, etc. Someone who has seen you in action and can talk about more then your academic qualities.

Most schools require 2 science professors and 1 nonscience professor. Some schools like FSU want a peer to write a letter. Others like USF want two nonprofessor letters that are written by supervisors, physicians, friends, etc. Someone who knows you real well.

Some schools even ask for letters specifically from a professor from a particular subject. One school that my friend applied to wanted letters specifically from a physics professor, bio professor, and chemistry professor.

It really depends on the individual school requirements. If you don't meet the school requirements your application won't be complete, because you really need to give them everything they require for the application. This will be specified when you get your secondaries.

gujuDoc said:
It is a letter written by someone other then a professor.

USF requires 2 letters written by someone outside of your professors. This could be a research supervisor, physician, peer, etc. Someone who has seen you in action and can talk about more then your academic qualities.

Most schools require 2 science professors and 1 nonscience professor. Some schools like FSU want a peer to write a letter. Others like USF want two nonprofessor letters that are written by supervisors, physicians, friends, etc. Someone who knows you real well.

Some schools even ask for letters specifically from a professor from a particular subject. One school that my friend applied to wanted letters specifically from a physics professor, bio professor, and chemistry professor.

It really depends on the individual school requirements. If you don't meet the school requirements your application won't be complete, because you really need to give them everything they require for the application. This will be specified when you get your secondaries.

I'm getting a letter from a Prof who I did research under, he teaches at the school, I haven't taken his class, but he graded me for my thesis work. I'm hoping to use this letter as either a "character" letter, or a third professor letter, depending on the school

what do you all think, would this work?
thanks!

UCLAstudent said:
To echo gujuDoc, many schools do require a letter from a humanities professor.

i did secondaries to a whole bunch of schools (>20) and never came across one that required a letter from a humanities prof. all three of mine were from engineering professors, and my committee letter was also an engineering prof. no one complained. but, anyways, definitely check individual school requirements. if a school had gotten back to me and said that they wanted another letter, that would have been the end of my interest in that school. :)

So far I can't find info on what the schools in Texas want for LORs. They only mention that LORs are required.

ramblinwreckie said:
i did secondaries to a whole bunch of schools (>20) and never came across one that required a letter from a humanities prof. all three of mine were from engineering professors, and my committee letter was also an engineering prof. no one complained. but, anyways, definitely check individual school requirements. if a school had gotten back to me and said that they wanted another letter, that would have been the end of my interest in that school. :)

Perhaps I worded that poorly. By humanities, I mean non-science. I applied to 30 schools and 99% of them required a letter from a non-science professor. Looks like your strategy worked for you, though. :thumbup: :D

caffeine37 said:
I'm getting a letter from a Prof who I did research under, he teaches at the school, I haven't taken his class, but he graded me for my thesis work. I'm hoping to use this letter as either a "character" letter, or a third professor letter, depending on the school

what do you all think, would this work?
thanks!

Again, I say it depends on the school you are applying to. Some schools will require 3 professor letters, of which 2 are science and 1 is nonscience. Then, on top of that they may or may not accept extra letters from research professors. If you haven't taken that teacher as a professor for a class, it won't count as your professor letter, but may count as a character letter.

In some cases, where people have come back after an initial degreen and hence have no extra nonscience classes, an extra science letter or engineering letter(if engineering major) will do the trick. But you would have to make sure it is ok with the schools you are applying to.

Where do you find this information out? About what the medical schools want for LORs. They don't seem to mention what they want on their web sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
aliendroid said:
Where do you find this information out? About what the medical schools want for LORs. They don't seem to mention what they want on their web sites.

You might want to call up the admission's offices of different schools and find out from them. I suppose they would have it on their secondaries. however, I would call them up or email them from now so that you can start getting them right away.

I'm a non-traditional. I'm trying to find my freshman comp teacher, so she can write me a letter but I don't know if I will be able to locate her. Any suggestions. Can I send in the minimum three letters and then send another later?

Yeah, secondaries specify what schools' exact letter requirements are.

UCLAstudent said:
Yeah, secondaries specify what schools' exact letter requirements are.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Oh and I love the avatar. I love Charlie Brown comic strips, so that's hillarious.

nope. None of the texas secondaries say anything about LOR requirements. I looked at the secondaries for southwestern, A&M, and Tech. San Antonio, Houston, and Galveston don't even require secondaries for residents of texas.

aliendroid said:
nope. None of the texas secondaries say anything about LOR requirements. I looked at the secondaries for southwestern, A&M, and Tech. San Antonio, Houston, and Galveston don't even require secondaries.

Why don't you call up the schools on Monday some time during business hours and find out what different schools require???? Or email them. But I would call that way you can get a quicker answer.

Good luck

UCLAstudent said:
Perhaps I worded that poorly. By humanities, I mean non-science. I applied to 30 schools and 99% of them required a letter from a non-science professor. Looks like your strategy worked for you, though. :thumbup: :D

i'm guessing there was some overlap in the schools we both applied to. maybe, i just ignored their "requirements." hehe, guess it doesn't matter too much.

gujuDoc said:
Ok thanks for clarifying. Oh and I love the avatar. I love Charlie Brown comic strips, so that's hillarious.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the Peanuts gang, too. :love:

ramblinwreckie said:
i'm guessing there was some overlap in the schools we both applied to. maybe, i just ignored their "requirements." hehe, guess it doesn't matter too much.

That's so funny! Eh, whatever works. :laugh: