The timeline of current crisis in Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recall reading that California pharmacists are authorized to give COVID-19 tests.
California Pharmacists Granted Authority to Order, Administer COVID-19 Tests
My second question was not related to the first question. It was just a general question asking if the class of 2020 is having a tough time finding jobs because I'm sure people have student loans to pay off. But I guess from my understanding people will always need doctors but pharmacists may not be that much in demand because like someone said in this group, they've cut jobs.
Some stores in my area are giving covid tests. We are given exactly 0 extra pharmacist or tech hours.

At least with immunizations they plan into workflow to give a couple extra tech hours.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

But physicians are trained in stabilizing and recovering the patient without the use of treatment. If there is no physician, then a nurse will volunteer.

Stabilizing a patient without meds is something pharmacists are not trained to do.

If you know a physician that can stabilize AND recover a patient whose heart has stopped beating "without the use of treatment"...while on a plane...you might know the greatest physician to ever exist.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a pharmacist who responded to the “it there a doctor on board” call. She helped someone with hypoglycemia since no “real” doctor was on board to help.

Such a stupid yardstick but I guess by that standard she can go be a physician now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know a physician that can stabilize AND recover a patient whose heart has stopped beating "without the use of treatment"...while on a plane...you might know the greatest physician to ever exist.

Doctor saves patient life with a makeshift catheter using a mask and straw

House could do it with his cane. Doggie Houser could do it and he was just a boy! “Treatment” is just a crutch for weak physicians, the really good ones just will patients better with the power of their egos.

I know a pharmacist who responded to the “it there a doctor on board” call. She helped someone with hypoglycemia since no “real” doctor was on board to help.

Such a stupid yardstick but I guess by that standard she can go be a physician now.

So what happened? Was some dude like " OMFG, my shugs is like 52!" And then she was like "Consume Pepsi."

Reactions: 1 users

Well it t least it was hypoglycemia. If the patient suffered ARDS on the plane, I doubt she would know what to do other than call EMS

So what happened? Was some dude like " OMFG, my shugs is like 52!" And then she was like "Consume Pepsi."

Close. The patient reported feeling dizzy and started having difficulty answering questions. I think the patient was given apple juice.

Imagine being on a plane while the dude next to you is having a catheter inserted into him and having 800ml of urine drained. The flight attendant strolls by in the middle of it to ask if you want the chicken taco, ham sammich, or vegetarian meal.

Well it t least it was hypoglycemia. If the patient suffered ARDS on the plane, I doubt she would know what to do other than call EMS

Right, where as a physician would no doubt suck the fluid out of the lungs using the on board vacuum and their medical degree.

I agree with you. Cardiac arrest is stabilized ultimately by treatment. So I admit that yeah physicians are either using an AED or something similar to it and cannot fully recover a patient with just AED alone. However, I doubt an average pharmacist would know how to construct a makeshift AED (if there was no AED on board) to at least stabilize a patient because pharmacists are not trained in this area of medicine

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, where as a physician would no doubt suck the fluid out of the lungs using the on board vacuum and their medical degree.
I am sure a physician with 30 or more years experience will come up with something innovative way to intubate a person and ventilate a person

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you. Cardiac arrest is stabilized ultimately by treatment. So I admit that yeah physicians are either using an AED or something similar to it and cannot fully recover a patient with just AED alone. However, I doubt an average pharmacist would know how to construct a makeshift AED (if there was no AED on board) to at least stabilize a patient because pharmacists are not trained in this area of medicine

Physicians know how to make an AED using just the things found on a plane? Do they teach electrical engineering in medical school?!?

Reactions: 2 users
Physicians know how to make an AED using just the things found on a plane? Do they teach electrical engineering in medical school?!?
Are pharmacists trained in stabilizing a patient when there is no treatment nor first aid kits on board. No.

Imagine being a pathologist on a flight. You're going on vacation. You're three wines in up in first class. Then some flight attendant is like "I see you're a doctor. Can you remove this patient's appendix with our on board steak knives? Thanks!"

Are pharmacists trained in stabilizing a patient when there is no treatment nor first aid kits on board. No.
I mean, it depends on what it is. If someone is choking, I can definitely give proper abdominal thrusts.

I definitely couldn't fashion a catheter out of a drinking straw and an oxygen mask.

Speaking of which...do you think they had some lube available or did they have to go up that dude's urethra completely raw?

Imagine being a pathologist on a flight. You're going on vacation. You're three wines in up in first class. Then some flight attendant is like "I see you're a doctor. Can you remove this patient's appendix with our on board steak knives? Thanks!"
Fair enough or asking a psychiatrist to save a person having a heart attack on a plane and a psychiatrist asking the patient, Do you think you have a heart attack?

However, most doctors still know the basic life saving measures even though they are far removed from that line of work.

I mean, it depends on what it is. If someone is choking, I can definitely give proper abdominal thrusts.

I definitely couldn't fashion a catheter out of a drinking straw and an oxygen mask.

Speaking of which...do you think they had some lube available or did they have to go up that dude's urethra completely raw?
Apparently the syringe needle attached to the straw was too thin to suck out the urine. The vascular surgeon used a tube and his own mouth to suck urine out. He then was spitting the urine out into a empty wine bottle during the 37 minute wait period

Many people who are not pharmacists nor doctors nor any other health care personnel know how to use the Heimlech maneuver

Many people who are not pharmacists nor doctors nor any other health care personnel know how to use the Heimlech maneuver

I love the double standard here. Anything a pharmacist knows a laymen could know. But meanwhile physicians have some special knowledge that only they posses. LMAO

I love the double standard here. Anything a pharmacist knows a laymen could know. But meanwhile physicians have some special knowledge that only they posses. LMAO
I am not disagreeing that a pharmacist would not know how to use a AED or a first aid kit if it was on board or how to treat someone with hypoglycemia. I think a pharmacist would know how to save someone on a flight with a simple case like the hypoglycemia case or someone choking on their food.

I just doubt an average pharmacist will be able to use their surroundings to come up with a makeshift AED, catheter or ventilator for the severe cases compared to an average physician.

I always see people throw this old canard out there. I always wonder what the hell is a physician going to do, anyway? Use psychic powers to dissolve an embolus or something? They are on the plane with a fricking Nintendo Switch, a copy of Animal Crossing, and a phone charger. Lol.

Maybe if the plane had an AED. Which any idiot can use these days. They bark instructions for use at you.

They can place an IV and give ACLS meds from the emergency kit (for whatever that's worth)

I'm baffled by all of you, I can't breathe.

Consulting, needs a fellowship. Not many new grads can get those jobs. Consulting is the next “Magic bullet” because informatics failed. Let’s see how they fair.

Consulting doesn’t need a fellowship and the outcomes are fantastic

some of these comments
1. Seriously, anyone can use a AED.
2. They have IV start kits on planes, although I am guessing most RPh's would struggle (I would)
3. The one I saw had an IO kit - I am trained how to use them - if you can drill two boards together you can use it.
4. They do have ACLS meds - if they are ACLS certified, you can use them - I have in codes in the hospital when I was the first ACLS provider on the scene.
5. Why don't they have a fickin Epi-pen on board? We had someone go into anaphylaxis on a flight I was on (over the ocean). The flight attendant gave me a epi abboject when I asked for epi. I had to ask overhead if anyone had a epi-pen - luckily someone in first class did. I used it on the pt. Knowing we were hours from land I asked if anyone had prednisone on board - the same good Samaritan did. I gave 60mg. Ironically there was a MD on board - he was a psychiatrist who was 60 years old. He admitted he didn't know crap on how to treat the condition. lol

Looks like consulting is route to go then if all I need is some CE hours in consulting pharmacy

Consulting in the pharmaceutical industry doesn’t require a license (or CE hours by extension) and most don’t do a fellowship before going directly into it

Consulting in the pharmaceutical industry doesn’t require a license (or CE hours by extension) and most don’t do a fellowship before going directly into it
Are you speaking from experience? Have done consulting pharmacy or hired consulting pharmacists?

Are you speaking from experience? Have done consulting pharmacy or hired consulting pharmacists?

I have experience in the space, hire/work with them on a very frequent basis, and have informally mentored quite a few.

It’s a very good path that pharmacists should consider more often, but it is out of the box and requires a different skill set, personality, and expectations

I can't believe how buried the lede is here. There was a dude that used a straw and an oxygen mask to mouth pipette urine like he was siphoning gas from someone at a park n ride. Why am I the only one commenting on this.

• Haha

Like this??
(sorry for the grainy quality)

I can't believe how buried the lede is here. There was a dude that used a straw and an oxygen mask to mouth pipette urine like he was siphoning gas from someone at a park n ride. Why am I the only one commenting on this.
It’s very impressive coming from a vascular surgeon, far removed from urology. The patient on the plane had severe prostate cancer.

I always see people throw this old canard out there. I always wonder what the hell is a physician going to do, anyway? Use psychic powers to dissolve an embolus or something? They are on the plane with a fricking Nintendo Switch, a copy of Animal Crossing, and a phone charger. Lol.

Maybe if the plane had an AED. Which any idiot can use these days. They bark instructions for use at you.

All commercial airlines are required to have an AED. Doctors can diagnose and recommend to make an emergency landing if necessary. The pharmD who calls himself/herself doctor cannot.

The pharmD who calls himself/herself doctor cannot.

What if I've never called myself "doctor" in my life? Then do I get to make the plane land? I would enjoy that power. Say a flight from PHL to Vegas is $240. But I'm going to Denver and the fare is like $400. Just make the plane land 3/4 the way there. Boom, saved $160.

4D chess, bishes.

A lot of the allure here was tarnished by the prospect of having to suck 800mL of pee through a straw. I'm now glad I don't have plane diverting powers.

• Haha