The toughest part

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FPforLife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: I am in the middle of trying to write my personal statemement for an FP residency. I don't want to sound to arrogant or fake, but at the same time I want to sell myself. Anyone have any advice on what to include in a personal statememnt for FP or any good resources available? Also is it worth it to pay someone to help write your personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

FPforLife said:
:eek: I am in the middle of trying to write my personal statemement for an FP residency. I don't want to sound to arrogant or fake, but at the same time I want to sell myself. Anyone have any advice on what to include in a personal statememnt for FP or any good resources available? Also is it worth it to pay someone to help write your personal statement?

Here's what someone told our class (someone who sees a lot of personal statements):

"I'm going to ask you to think of this instead as a GOAL STATEMENT. Don't worry about telling cutsie stories, rather tell the reader WHAT you want to specialize in and WHY? Tell them WHY you will be good at it - WHAT qualities and characteristics do you possess that will make you successful in this field? WHAT are you looking for in a residency program and WHY will you be a good choice for their team? WHAT are your future plans past residency and HOW are you going to accomplish them?"

Haven't started writing mine but I'm going to use this as a building block...

I used the format of first talking about what drew me to FP, then about why I would make a good FP, and then what my future plans were as an FP. (So basically the format sophiejane alluded to.) My personal statement was probably a little longer than it should have been, but I got several compliments on it during my interviews. FP is one of the specialties that definitely reads personal statements, so make sure it doesn't sound too fake.

Members don't see this ad :)
FPforLife said:
:eek: I am in the middle of trying to write my personal statemement for an FP residency.

Just curious...isn't it pretty much super-late, or a very unFP-like SUPER-early, to be writing this essay?

Ya,

It's super early. But a site I'm trying to set a rotation up with wants a personal statement. Thanks for the responses. It helped alot.