The Trauma Corner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think Trauma management is pretty epic, and while the most severe trauma is managed surgically, it really jives with me that EM interfaces with surgery in the setting of Trauma.

Is there anyone out there who has a niche interest in Trauma, as an EM physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Trauma management is pretty epic, and while the most severe trauma is managed surgically, it really jives with me that EM interfaces with surgery in the setting of Trauma.

Is there anyone out there who has a niche interest in Trauma, as an EM physician?

I find managing their injuries interesting, but trauma patients themselves are the worst...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. In what way?

The well to do wrong-place-wrong-time trauma patient is a rarity!

Generally, it is young men and women who are intoxicated that get themselves into ridiculous situations by their own volition which end up in a variety of blunt and penetrating trauma. I would like to illustrate with a few examples:

1) Gang banger is drunk and hits on his homie's girl - guns drawn, multiple shots fired, both come in at the same time. They're intoxicated to the point of agitation, won't let us remove their clothes because "yo that's gay" and due to their ridiculous machismo they don't need our help, their bodies will miraculously weather any lead hailstorm despite the very obvious arterial bleeding from their extremity. Have to put the ED on lockdown because you know his friends are going to show up wondering how they're all doing. Stays in the hospital for weeks due to disposition issues, and is cursing at surrounding patients in hall chairs "what the f0ck are you looking at?"

2) Rural captain america, who votes against his own interests, left high school because college likely wasn't a viable option, basically your Hillbilly Elegy variety, hooked on fentanyl/heroin and loves to drive drunk because "I've been doing it since middle school" Rollover MVA involving the opposite side of the road, and takes out a family of four (who all become the aforementioned wrong-place-wrong-time trauma patient). His family all shows up and they're screaming at the trauma team to clean off the minor amounts of dried blood from his face, why aren't we giving him multiple doses of dilaudid to help his pain, and they all individually want to speak with the doctor and raise a commotion when they're told they need to pick a representative since the doctor obviously cannot speak with all of them individually, "this is the worst hospital, we're going to sue"

3) Young woman with a clear personality disorder, on multiple psychiatric medications (always non compliant), hyperalgesic to even the slightest light touch, even the warm blankets "hurt," took maybe a few too many of her xanax bars and "fell down the stairs" but when her fiance shows up she's suspiciously quiet. He's the rural captain america I described above, and you're now worried about abuse since she just wants to go home and he's overly helpful in trying to get you to discharge her. Low and behold the real story is he pushed her, and she's actually pregnant (she didn't know), and while you really feel for her, her pain is tough to manage, she wants to talk to the doctor every 5 minutes due to her 10/10 pain (nurse has to come up and tell you and documents in the chart because the nurse HAS to, they don't have a choice, "it's just protocol")

There are a ton of examples! I do enjoy the initial trauma resuscitation and stabilization of true life-threatening pathology, but the social and disposition issues are enough to make anybody's heart burn!

I was looked into general surgery heavily before choosing emergency medicine, particularly due to trauma since it seemed so interesting, but a large part of trauma management is social, especially post-operatively. I am in a metropolitan area and the difficulties managing Trauma patients, despite multiple adequate resources at our level 1, seem insurmountable due to social, access, and patient issues.

Reactions: 8 users
As a resident, I want nothing to do with trauma as soon as the patient rolls out of the trauma bay to CT, X-ray, or OR. (I only really care to be involved if there is a procedure - cordis, intubation, chest tube, thoracotomy, etc.) If you want a "niche" in trauma, you're probably going to carve it out in the EMS subspecialty by influencing prehospital trauma care, or if you work in a ED that is not level I or II. And the slower the center and the fewer the residents, the more involvement you may be able to have. I will be working at a level IV trauma center, and surgeons will NOT be involved in ANY trauma activations. Hopefully the extent of my interfacing with surgeons will be via phone with the level I center to which we will be transferring patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with exsanguination. The patients tend to be miserable. Their histrionics usually overshadow everything else and they consume an inordinate amount of time and resources and bog down your staff.

It's kind of like Taco Bell. We're all drawn to it when we're young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. With time, things change. Instead of reflecting favorably on the questionable satisfaction of the inital few minutes of the encouter, you begin to focus more on the ensuing pain and misery that little burrito will inflict on you and those around you for the rest of the night.

Reactions: 10 users

Not true.

"In 2008 the American College of Surgeons (ACS) abandoned its traditional assertion that "trauma is a surgical disease" tacitly acknowledging the largely nonoperative nature of modern trauma care. At my large tertiary medical center, for example, the prevalence of emergency operative intervention by a trauma surgeon is just 3.0% of adult trauma team activations and just 0.35% of pediatric activations, with these frequencies decreasing to 1.2% and 0.09%, respectively, if one excludes penetrating mechanisms."

http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(11)00461-6/abstract

Not sure what year you are, but as a surgery intern who did a month of trauma in July ('Trauma season') at our level 1 in a city with 26 gangs, it's still not that exciting. I saw maybe 3 operative cases that month, aside from the trachs and pegs which our service covers. Guy who walked into traffic and was alive but paralyzed, etc. The vast majority of even level 1's were not in too bad shape, maybe ortho injuries, etc. If you want to make trauma part of your EM career I think doing a critical care fellowship like Weingart did is the way to go.. since the trauma patients end up in the SICU for quite a while. Vast majority of trauma is blunt, basically stable upon arrival, do a CT to check, then go to ER, floor or ICU awaiting d/c.

Another option could be ultrasound fellowship, since the role of FAST may be expanding (our EM residents say ultrasound is better than CXR for evaluating PTX, etc). Although if I were you I would try to get on a helicopter :)

(our EM residents say ultrasound is better than CXR for evaluating PTX, etc).
U/S is certainly both fast and more sensitive in detecting ptx than x-ray. Just need to remember that just because you see a Ptx on u/s doesn't mean that it's clinically significant.

lol, c'mon. I like Trauma - I'm sure theres a few other people out there who are with me :)

There's a few of us on here who love taking care of critically injured trauma patients.

Unfortunately most SDN regulars are fairly anti trauma due to the reasons posted above plus the fact that surgeons still manage trauma patients at most teaching hospitals.

The well to do wrong-place-wrong-time trauma patient is a rarity!

Generally, it is young men and women who are intoxicated that get themselves into ridiculous situations by their own volition which end up in a variety of blunt and penetrating trauma. I would like to illustrate with a few examples:

1) Gang banger is drunk and hits on his homie's girl - guns drawn, multiple shots fired, both come in at the same time. They're intoxicated to the point of agitation, won't let us remove their clothes because "yo that's gay" and due to their ridiculous machismo they don't need our help, their bodies will miraculously weather any lead hailstorm despite the very obvious arterial bleeding from their extremity. Have to put the ED on lockdown because you know his friends are going to show up wondering how they're all doing. Stays in the hospital for weeks due to disposition issues, and is cursing at surrounding patients in hall chairs "what the f0ck are you looking at?"

2) Rural captain america, who votes against his own interests, left high school because college likely wasn't a viable option, basically your Hillbilly Elegy variety, hooked on fentanyl/heroin and loves to drive drunk because "I've been doing it since middle school" Rollover MVA involving the opposite side of the road, and takes out a family of four (who all become the aforementioned wrong-place-wrong-time trauma patient). His family all shows up and they're screaming at the trauma team to clean off the minor amounts of dried blood from his face, why aren't we giving him multiple doses of dilaudid to help his pain, and they all individually want to speak with the doctor and raise a commotion when they're told they need to pick a representative since the doctor obviously cannot speak with all of them individually, "this is the worst hospital, we're going to sue"

3) Young woman with a clear personality disorder, on multiple psychiatric medications (always non compliant), hyperalgesic to even the slightest light touch, even the warm blankets "hurt," took maybe a few too many of her xanax bars and "fell down the stairs" but when her fiance shows up she's suspiciously quiet. He's the rural captain america I described above, and you're now worried about abuse since she just wants to go home and he's overly helpful in trying to get you to discharge her. Low and behold the real story is he pushed her, and she's actually pregnant (she didn't know), and while you really feel for her, her pain is tough to manage, she wants to talk to the doctor every 5 minutes due to her 10/10 pain (nurse has to come up and tell you and documents in the chart because the nurse HAS to, they don't have a choice, "it's just protocol")

There are a ton of examples! I do enjoy the initial trauma resuscitation and stabilization of true life-threatening pathology, but the social and disposition issues are enough to make anybody's heart burn!

I was looked into general surgery heavily before choosing emergency medicine, particularly due to trauma since it seemed so interesting, but a large part of trauma management is social, especially post-operatively. I am in a metropolitan area and the difficulties managing Trauma patients, despite multiple adequate resources at our level 1, seem insurmountable due to social, access, and patient issues.

More and more I have realized that a little Haldol solves almost every ER problem.....

Reactions: 2 users
lol, c'mon. I like Trauma - I'm sure theres a few other people out there who are with me :)

Trauma = Drama.

We just call them Level 1 Drama's. Especially if the patient doesn't need intubation.

There is nothing so satisfying by solving all of your behavioral issues with an ET tube, sadly often not indicated.

I love trauma. And toxicology. By far and away my favorite type of cases.

One of the best parts of EM is that there's something for everyone. Worst part, there's no running away from the stuff you hate to see.

Reactions: 3 users
I enjoy tox, but hate trauma. At least with tox, there's some thinking to do. Like my lady yesterday with her Chlorine gas exposure.

Trauma is depressing. It's also more straightforward that it seems: panscan, tell family terrible news, admit. Or transfer. Some still sneaks into my life, usually via homeboy ambulance, but it's minimal. Yes, I can still manage it, but it doesn't mean I like it. Mostly though, I find it terribly sad. Almost always, it's a few bad decisions, and the effects are often for life.

Last edited:
Dude shoots himself in hand last night while showing his gun to his mom.

No plastics/hand on call.

I reach one of the plastics guys not on call. "Nope, I'm not doing it. Going to Sun Valley in the am."

"Do you think the general orthopedist would wash it out?"

"No, you really need a hand guy for this."

Call the local tertiary center for this SOBER, POLITE, INSURED patient here with his parents and talk to their plastics guy.

"Don't you have anyone on call?"

"Nope."

"Don't you pay for them to be on call?"

"I don't personally and I don't know if the hospital does. Would you like me to give you the CEO's cell number and you can ask him?"

"Well, you should pay them to be on call."

"Are you going to take the patient?" (I'm now 1 hour after my shift ended because I've been waiting for hand guys to call me back.)

"Sigh...yes, send him on over."

Imagine if the patient is uninsured, drunk, and less than polite. Then you'll understand why experienced emergency docs aren't so excited about trauma.

Reactions: 1 users
I got to break the hearts of four parents and a bunch of family members tonight. Thanks, trauma!

I did leave pretty much on time though. Can't complain about signing charts and going home.