The Ultimate August MCATer Secondary Question!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a complex question whose answer remains elusive to me:

Many of us applied to medical school in July/August through AMCAS and took the MCAT in August for the first time.

Now, many schools sent me letters in August stating that they were waiting on MCAT scores before considering my application.

Here's the kicker: I scored a lowly 27S (8,10,9,S) but I've received secondaries and "wait until MCAT" notices from every school I've applied to except Stanford based on my AMCAS and GPA(I do have a 4.0 cumulative and science however). These secondaries includes Northwestern, Harvard, Duke, my state schools, etc. Now, after the MCAT, scores are coming in from schools I didn't expect due to my low MCAT score (UIC etc.)

The BIG QUESTION: Does the fact that schools are sending me secondaries after the MCAT score release mean my MCAT score is ok with them??? I would be disappointed and broke if I pursued these incoming secondaries and they reject me right away after receiving the check.

Does anyone have any advice / experience to enlighten the issue??

Thanks a lot!:)

Members don't see this ad.

did stanford or ucla (if you applied to them) send you secondaries yet? i'm still waiting!!!! ahhh driving me nutz.... plus how long does anyone think that the schools will get back to us (if we took the august mcat)

stoner

Sorry, but I can't comment on UCLA (didn't apply there).
Stanford is the only school out of the 14 on my AMCAS that hasn't sent me diddly squat.

Come on, is it too much to even acknowledge an applicant's presence with a "thank you for your interest....." email?? It makes me respect the schools that were kind enough to mail postcards. Indiana was nice enough to send me 2 postcards over a period of 2 weeks to let me know what they were doing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mike59
The BIG QUESTION: Does the fact that schools are sending me secondaries after the MCAT score release mean my MCAT score is ok with them??? I would be disappointed and broke if I pursued these incoming secondaries and they reject me right away after receiving the check.

well if they are schools that screen, then the fact that they're sending you secondaries means that you've met some sort of criteria, which is good :)
this thread might give you some insight on schools that screen and all that:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43310&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
they may still reject your sorry broke a$$ shortly afterwards, but hey, it's all part of the game... just a little optimism for ya :p

Originally posted by rae-chill
they may still reject your sorry broke a$$ shortly afterwards, but hey, it's all part of the game... just a little optimism for ya :p

Do you have to use the dollar signs to enhance the poorness of my broke sorry ass???:laugh:

Well I sent in a secondary to Stanford and about a week later I got rejected, like some other guy said in another post, right after they cashed my check.

a friend from my school that applied last year got into harvard medical school with a 29 mcat. you still got a decent shot as long as the rest of your application is really strong.

Originally posted by snoopy17
a friend from my school that applied last year got into harvard medical school with a 29 mcat. you still got a decent shot as long as the rest of your application is really strong.

I'd give my left n&t to be in his shoes.

i also took the august mcat, but still haven't gotten a secondary response from northwestern. does that mean i am most likely screened out?

Originally posted by Mike59
Do you have to use the dollar signs to enhance the poorness of my broke sorry ass???:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
my bad, pretty funny tho.