1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

The Ultimate August MCATer Secondary Question!?!?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mike59, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

This is a complex question whose answer remains elusive to me:

Many of us applied to medical school in July/August through AMCAS and took the MCAT in August for the first time.

Now, many schools sent me letters in August stating that they were waiting on MCAT scores before considering my application.

Here's the kicker: I scored a lowly 27S (8,10,9,S) but I've received secondaries and "wait until MCAT" notices from every school I've applied to except Stanford based on my AMCAS and GPA(I do have a 4.0 cumulative and science however). These secondaries includes Northwestern, Harvard, Duke, my state schools, etc. Now, after the MCAT, scores are coming in from schools I didn't expect due to my low MCAT score (UIC etc.)

The BIG QUESTION: Does the fact that schools are sending me secondaries after the MCAT score release mean my MCAT score is ok with them??? I would be disappointed and broke if I pursued these incoming secondaries and they reject me right away after receiving the check.

Does anyone have any advice / experience to enlighten the issue??

Thanks a lot!:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

did stanford or ucla (if you applied to them) send you secondaries yet? i'm still waiting!!!! ahhh driving me nutz.... plus how long does anyone think that the schools will get back to us (if we took the august mcat)

stoner

4. Mike59

7+ Year Member

Sorry, but I can't comment on UCLA (didn't apply there).
    Stanford is the only school out of the 14 on my AMCAS that hasn't sent me diddly squat.

Come on, is it too much to even acknowledge an applicant's presence with a "thank you for your interest....." email?? It makes me respect the schools that were kind enough to mail postcards. Indiana was nice enough to send me 2 postcards over a period of 2 weeks to let me know what they were doing!!

5. rae-chill

rae-chill Member
    7+ Year Member

well if they are schools that screen, then the fact that they're sending you secondaries means that you've met some sort of criteria, which is good :)
    this thread might give you some insight on schools that screen and all that:
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43310&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
    they may still reject your sorry broke a$$ shortly afterwards, but hey, it's all part of the game... just a little optimism for ya :p

6. Mike59

7+ Year Member

Do you have to use the dollar signs to enhance the poorness of my broke sorry ass???:laugh:

7. loserman

loserman Membership Revoked
    Removed

Well I sent in a secondary to Stanford and about a week later I got rejected, like some other guy said in another post, right after they cashed my check.

8. snoopy17

snoopy17 Member
    10+ Year Member

a friend from my school that applied last year got into harvard medical school with a 29 mcat. you still got a decent shot as long as the rest of your application is really strong.

9. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

Originally posted by snoopy17
    a friend from my school that applied last year got into harvard medical school with a 29 mcat. you still got a decent shot as long as the rest of your application is really strong.

I'd give my left n&t to be in his shoes.

10. snoopy17

snoopy17 Member
    10+ Year Member

i also took the august mcat, but still haven't gotten a secondary response from northwestern. does that mean i am most likely screened out?

11. rae-chill

rae-chill Member
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    my bad, pretty funny tho.