The ultimate CRNA deception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it pretty interesting that CRNAs have continuously battled us for independence and have always argued on the premise that they should be the anesthesia provider because they are cheaper and more cost effective option. Now a lot of them would rather take on liability independently because they want to make 300-400k a year. I'm thinking at this point if you want the independence and income of a physician you should've gone to medical school and put in the appropropriate training to be able to do that, especially for the safety of the patient. It's unbelievable to me that groups, hospitals, etc. are allowing CRNAs to get away with independent billing in many states for anesthesia services to make the same as many attendings nationwide. This completely defeats the whole purpose of them even existing in the first place. If they are coming for the same independence and income potential, I don't see what their purpose is anymore. These places might as well have only physicians providing anesthesia if they are planning on letting midlevel providers make 300-400k.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If a place is paying a crna 300-400 it's because they don't want to pay a physician 600-800.

A desirable location would keep the collections and pay the crna maket value.

If a place is paying a crna 300-400 it's because they don't want to pay a physician 600-800.

A desirable location would keep the collections and pay the crna maket value.

Disagree.

CRNA pay doesn't correlate very well with collections.

It's supply and demand. Big cities with lots of anesthesiologists don't pay CRNAs that much. Small town in the middle of nowhere will pay a lot for any anesthesia services because they are hard to get, be it CRNA or MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree.

CRNA pay doesn't correlate very well with collections.

It's supply and demand. Big cities with lots of anesthesiologists don't pay CRNAs that much. Small town in the middle of nowhere will pay a lot for any anesthesia services because they are hard to get, be it CRNA or MD.

The independently practicing CRNA in a small town is probably billing and collecting for their own cases with the help of a billing company just like a doctor would.

If you chart it out with the amount of time spent vs pay, it ends up being about the same if the nurses worked doctor hours

Reactions: 1 user
You guys are forgetting a very important aspect: CRNAs are nurses, and administrators prefer to deal with nurses over physicians because nurses tend to fall in line and obey policies regardless of how idiotic they might be.
also remember that most hospital administrators are either nurses or nurse advocates.

Reactions: 1 users
Most I know in rural areas (usually 1-1.5 hours plus hours away from the outer suburbs of a larger city).

Work 20-25 hours a week. Very low key. Do 20-30 cases a week (Gi included). So really 7-10 real Or cases a week. 200k and they split the job with another crna. 26 weeks on. 26 weeks off.

Per hour work with that amount of time off. It's a pretty sweet gig if u like the outdoors hiking etc (hint Pacific Northwest)

Pac NW is beautiful!! Except for the indep crnas lol

I have tried to go rural. But I find that when a hospital has CRNAs only, that's all they seem to want. The say point blank, we don't use anesthesiologists, we use CRNAs.
Now I have never insisted I speak to administration or anything. I just get disgusted and hang up the phone.
And I don't know if the CRNAs are billing themselves or getting a salary.
This applies to many rural parts of Texas as that is where I am from.

I have tried to go rural. But I find that when a hospital has CRNAs only, that's all they seem to want. The say point blank, we don't use anesthesiologists, we use CRNAs.
Now I have never insisted I speak to administration or anything. I just get disgusted and hang up the phone.
And I don't know if the CRNAs are billing themselves or getting a salary.
This applies to many rural parts of Texas as that is where I am from.

Because they get that pass through money for nurses! Hoping Trump and friends nix that so we can compete on an even playing field.
You will see the hospitals change their tune if they lose that money or it is given to them for anesthesiologists too.

Last edited: