The ultimate reality of pharmacy profession 2014. Read here if you want to know the truth!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by lisinopril, May 26, 2014.

1. trailerpark

Pharmacist
    I did an APPE at a home infusion pharmacy and the newest hire was a RN. She said it took her 9 months to find a job and she got that job because the hiring nurse knew her mom. She said there were too many nursing school's in our city and everywhere wanted her to have experience, but she couldn't get experience without a job. She ended up being a great nurse at the home infusion place.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha

Pharmacist
    Nursing schools had spread lies about job opportunities (like pharmacy) upon graduation as well. It's becoming more and more well known that the job opportunities that are available for nurses are for experienced nurses and not for new graduates.

oldstock likes this.
  4. Diamond1

Diamond1 Banned
    Banned

Lmao @ so posts here. If I read this post last two years, I'll buy into it but man! You article is total garbage!! I don't believe a word from it. I work in a hospital and I've seen pharmacist well respected and treated well....They make good money too. It's not that bad, the only problem is the loan. That's all I'm worried about. I'm currently applying and so excited about pharmacy school

5. Diamond1

Diamond1 Banned
    Banned

Thank you! Respect is something you earn

6. Amicable Angora

Pharmacist
    I read post which makes me wonder grammar. What job could he be have?

SteveChaoRen, Jibby321 and oldstock like this.
  7. aglo123

Pharmacy Student
    Making fun of non-native English speakers about their English ability is always hilarious. Not to mention, it is mature, professional, and something a future pharmacist who's a true American should always take part in.

*sarcasm

8. Amicable Angora

Pharmacist
    You missed the point of the reply, he was being an ass:

"You article is total garbage!!"

Die in a fire idiot.

9. lisinopril

lisinopril Account on Hold
    Account on Hold

Post Doc
  10. Singuy

I agree with the OP. Worked at Target and now in a hospital as a clinicial staff pharmacist. Target was all about getting the pt to apply for their credit cards.

Being in a hospital is much better, but overall pharmacy is a lame job.

I have done retail, emergency medicine, internal med rounding, OR pharmacy, and ICU pharmacy which led me to do a lot of things a normal pharmacist wouldn't get to do. I participated in codes, mixing IV drugs on the spot while programming pumps for trauma patients. I also do a lot of education for pts before discharge and go on rounds with the MDs.

I just feel that a pharmacist is not really needed. A good robotic program like SIRI + lexicomp can very easily replace a pharmacist.
    When a physician asks you what is the half life of _____ or are drug A and B compatible...most will look it up..so what's the point of a pharmacist? Someone who look things up for nurses/MDs who are too lazy to look it up themselves? Do we really know anything more than lexicomp or a MD who has been in their respective field, prescribing the same 20 drugs all their lives?

It's a profession in which you are a jack of all trades, but master of none. You really bring nothing new to the table vs someone else who also read the same study/article you just read.

The profession is obsolete in the computer age..cash in now and do something else later.

#59 Singuy, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    El Trombopag, lisinopril and oldstock like this.
  11. dosepak

dosepak Pill Counter

Pharmacy Student
    Hi Lisinopril,
    Thank you for posting this information. Everything you wrote is completely true. Although I am not a pharmacist, I work at CVS as a technician. We are always understaffed, the pharmacists get yelled at by the customers when they don't get the CII they want. All 3 pharmacists I work with have said that the profession is super saturated and they are always complaining. They all said they should've gone into a different career. Us retail pharmacy employees are always having to answer 5 phone calls on hold, pushing how 400 rx's/day, answering questions like, "Where is Plan B?", being looked down upon since we work in a retail setting, etc. Thank you for getting the word out of the reality of what it is like to be a retail pharmacist.

lisinopril likes this.
  12. oldstock

oldstock Banned
    Banned

very well said !! pharmacists are there mainly because the system needs a check (an overeducated check) to minimize doctors' medication errors and abuses... but that is all there is to it...

13. PharmDCandidate2014

PharmDCandidate2014 Organ Donor

Dental Student
    Going to a well established Caribbean medical school might be a better choice than going to pharmacy school. The reasons are two-fold:

1. Academic performance, i.e. good results on the Boards are correlated to a higher probability of landing a residency in the USA. In pharmacy school, all the students take a watered down NAPLEX, where scores are distinguished by Pass/Fail only. In other words, there is a means to separate the potentially great doctor from one who tries to barely get by. Stated another way, one is relying on careful planning and hard work rather than the lucky crapshoot it takes to get employed as a pharmacist.

2. Technology is going to crash the party REAL soon. Once corporations and clinics have confirmed that automation provides a better bang for their buck than the pharmacist, it's good game. If anyone watched the ending of SAW, one can think of that poor soul locked in the room as the pharmacist replaced by the machine, forever. Well, at least the pharmacist can try robbing a bank. That poor guy in Saw was locked in the room, left to suffer forever!

oldstock likes this.
  14. SanMateoRph

SanMateoRph Banned
    Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Pharmacy
    everywhere i look there is nothing positive about pharmacy any longer. i saw that lisinopril said a few things that my boss told me from duane reade. this really stinks that so many pharmacy students won't get jobs because a lot of them are my good friends

15. JayHawks1983

JayHawks1983 Banned
    Banned Account on Hold

I'm sorry to hear about the many sad stories of graduating pharmacy students. However, today's pharmacy students have the Internet and more importantly a supply of pharmacists that tell them this is indeed a high risk and low reward career. No one to blame but themselves if they come complaining on the forum after graduation.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. UGAZ

UGAZ SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

wow...4 years ago .... So many changes have occurred. Wondering where are the folks now?

18. stoichiometrist

Probably too embarrassed to post here if they didn’t listen to us and went to pharmacy school anyway.

19. redfish955

Non-Student
  20. BRIGGSQUAD

Pharmacy Student
    @stoichiometrist

Honestly I'd say the outlook is on track to be better than ever and here is my reasoning:

https://aamc-black.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/85/d7/85d7b689-f417-4ef0-97fb-ecc129836829/aamc_2018_workforce_projections_update_april_11_2018.pdf

The role of the pharmacist is about to start expanding if the expected shortage of physicians is realized (I'd say the report makes strong evidence for that). Provider status now has majority support in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Multiple organizations such as NCPA are fighting against profit killing drivers such as DIR fee's and non-transparent pricing strategies originating from PBM's. Pharmacists in my opinion will begin taking on some tasks that doctors are currently doing. Read this article about a pilot-program which was tried out at an Idaho pharmacy, I see the direction of pharmacy shifting similarly as such:

Albertsons piloted Idaho expanded prescribing before July 1 enactment - Drug Store News

21. stoichiometrist

LOL

The role of the pharmacist has been "about to start expanding" for the last 20-30 years.