The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got pulled from the waitlist... I'll see you guys in Aug.

(btw. need a roomie.)

Congrats, man! From your previous postings I could tell you wanted this so bad - and now you have it. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wanted to say don't sign at Orchard Lakes their management is terrible. I signed for an apartment back in early June and when I called in today they told me my apartment was given away. I was on vacation for this past week and did not take my cell with me (it wouldn't work) and they had called me to confirm my move in date, I returned the call as soon as I got back (4 days after the voicemail) only to hear they had given it away. It's really upsetting that their management has done something like this when I was sure I was set up and ready to move. I had booked a van and prepared everything for that date. I am not even sure how it's legal for them to do something like this. Anyone know of any places where to look for an apartment in a nice place that still has openeings without the management screwing you over?

Hey guys, just wanted to say don't sign at Orchard Lakes their management is terrible. I signed for an apartment back in early June and when I called in today they told me my apartment was given away. I was on vacation for this past week and did not take my cell with me (it wouldn't work) and they had called me to confirm my move in date, I returned the call as soon as I got back (4 days after the voicemail) only to hear they had given it away. It's really upsetting that their management has done something like this when I was sure I was set up and ready to move. I had booked a van and prepared everything for that date. I am not even sure how it's legal for them to do something like this. Anyone know of any places where to look for an apartment in a nice place that still has openeings without the management screwing you over?

Sorry to hear about that. I know apartments are filling up quickly. I'm going to be at Fox Chase in Holland (10-15 min drive from campus). Nice place and, so far, good management (they are holding an empty apartment for 30 days for me). They might still have openings for August move-in and I think they are about the same price as Orchard Lakes, but no paid utilities.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sucks to say the least. I will be going apartment hunting in Toledo within the next week or two and I hope I can find something esp since it appears everything has been taken.

Sorry to hear about that. I know apartments are filling up quickly. I'm going to be at Fox Chase in Holland (10-15 min drive from campus). Nice place and, so far, good management (they are holding an empty apartment for 30 days for me). They might still have openings for August move-in and I think they are about the same price as Orchard Lakes, but no paid utilities.

I'm signed up at Fox Chase as well. Really liked the area it's in too.

How are: Park Lane Luxury Apartments and Hill crest?

Maybe we should make a list of apartments people should take a look at:

So far:

Oak Hill Court
Fox Chase
Orchard Lakes

So far:

Oak Hill Court
Fox Chase
Orchard Lakes

The Park Lane and Hillcrest are former older hotels downtown that are now apartment buildings.I don't think you would be happy there.

Check out Quail Hollow Apartments. Pricey but Sexy. 2bedroom 800.00/month

So far:

Oak Hill Court
Fox Chase
Orchard Lakes

Quick question for those of you who have signed leases and are already enjoying your lives in and around Toledo. What did you guys present to the apartments when they asked for proof of income? How did you guys overcome this job/income hurdle? I quit my job about at the beginning of this month but now I'm afraid no apartment will qualify me because I have no job or income they can verify. How did you guys do it? And what did you show as proof?

Quick question for those of you who have signed leases and are already enjoying your lives in and around Toledo. What did you guys present to the apartments when they asked for proof of income? How did you guys overcome this job/income hurdle? I quit my job about at the beginning of this month but now I'm afraid no apartment will qualify me because I have no job or income they can verify. How did you guys do it? And what did you show as proof?

I don't know if it's like this at Toledo, but other places you can get an "apartment letter" issued by the financial aid office. Even if you don't have your award letter, they'll issue a letter to an apartment complex saying they anticipate awarding X amount (whatever is in the budget) for housing over the next year and that is considered enough for apartments if you're a student.

At Fox Chase, I needed a co-signer. My mom had to provide them with a recent pay stub as proof of income. I told them I will be a med student, paying with loans, but they still required her to sign with me. It may not be this way everywhere.

At Fox Chase, I needed a co-signer. My mom had to provide them with a recent pay stub as proof of income. I told them I will be a med student, paying with loans, but they still required her to sign with me. It may not be this way everywhere.

I have been looking at Fox Chase, it looks really nice! With Utilities, do you expect to be spending about 700/mo there? I really like the Holland area.

The Park Lane and Hillcrest are former older hotels downtown that are now apartment buildings.I don't think you would be happy there.

Check out Quail Hollow Apartments. Pricey but Sexy. 2bedroom 800.00/month

Thanks for the updates! I will be checking out Qual Hollow as well.

Oak Hill Court
Fox Chase
Orchard Lakes
Quail Hollow Apartments

Members don't see this ad :)
Dep and Abi,

Thanks for the tips. I actually met with Ms. Coy (fin aid director) and that was one of the questions I asked her. She said they don't write any letter for students but a copy of the award letter is acceptable to most apartments.

Did anyone else receive in their UT emails today instructions to follow a link to complete a "mandatory" AAMC questionnaire before Aug 13. And just out of curiousity, what will happen to those who decide to ignore the questionnaire or those who fail to complete it for one reason or another. Will they have their acceptances revoked or what? :smuggrin:

Did anyone else receive in their UT emails today instructions to follow a link to complete a "mandatory" AAMC questionnaire before Aug 13. And just out of curiousity, what will happen to those who decide to ignore the questionnaire or those who fail to complete it for one reason or another. Will they have their acceptances revoked or what? :smuggrin:

They turn you over to the militant wing of the AAMC...

you don't want to piss them off.

ClubSN_Humour_Sniper_Kitty.jpg

I have been looking at Fox Chase, it looks really nice! With Utilities, do you expect to be spending about 700/mo there? I really like the Holland area.

I expect utilities to run about $100-200 a month, TV, internet, A/C, gas (heating for winter), water. So I will probably expect to pay somewhere around $800 a month, but I am also living in their most expensive single. Considering the pool and gym, I think you get a lot for the money.

They turn you over to the militant wing of the AAMC...

you don't want to piss them off.

ClubSN_Humour_Sniper_Kitty.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I didn't know trained medical professionals are capable of doing such things. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But then again, we are already seeing militant doctors in the UK. :smuggrin:

I'll be living at Fox Chase.

It looks really good. (they do still have 2BR apartments available as of today, but they are going fast)

For reasons I still haven't figured out, Fox Chase seems to be very popular with UT's med students. So what about FC makes it so popular (can someone clue me in, please :smuggrin: )? And how much does a 2BR go for at FC and what features do they have in their units?

I've been looking at apartments lately as well (actually my fiance is looking to move so I've been going with her). Check out Valley Stream Apartments on Garden road! You can get a 2 bedroom (just shy of 1000 sq ft) with vaulted ceilings, intercom entrance, and sunroom for $669/month.

Someone mentioned the Park Lane. I've actually lived in those apartments. I was doing a summer research program at then MCO and lived there for 11 weeks or so. They're actually pretty nice. It's directly adjacent to Mercy College (mainly a nursing school) and several nursing students lived there when I did. Also, there were some DO students that would live there for a couple months at a time while they were rotating through St Vincent's. I believe they run $600+ for a 1 br including all utilities, phone, and cable! It's within walking distance of the Art Museum, so if you're into art it would be an amazing location.

For reasons I still haven't figured out, Fox Chase seems to be very popular with UT's med students. So what about FC makes it so popular (can someone clue me in, please :smuggrin: )? And how much does a 2BR go for at FC and what features do they have in their units?

Fox Chase is nice b/c it is close to a lot of convenient necessities (large stores, food, highway, etc). The apartments are very nice, upper levels have vaulted ceilings, lower levels have 9ft ceilings... lots of storage. I wound up with a large 2BR 2BA apt almost 1000 sq ft for $790/mo. There's also other amenities like a pool, weight room, tennis/volleyball courts, etc.

Fox Chase is nice b/c it is close to a lot of convenient necessities (large stores, food, highway, etc). The apartments are very nice, upper levels have vaulted ceilings, lower levels have 9ft ceilings... lots of storage. I wound up with a large 2BR 2BA apt almost 1000 sq ft for $790/mo. There's also other amenities like a pool, weight room, tennis/volleyball courts, etc.

Just to agree and add a bit - the gym actually offers quite a bit of equipment and it is a lot nicer than others I saw in apartments around Toledo. I think highway access is a big thing - at Fox Chase, we are less than 5 mins from the highway, which will get you almost anywhere fast plus most of the hospitals we will work at are just off the highways, and a max of 15 mins from campus just down Airport Highway. Close to a ton of restaurants, gas station across the street, grocery store a few minutes away, liquor store :hardy:, dry cleaners - pretty much anything you would need is close. I'm excited to have a big patio - one that I can actually use - put 2 chairs and a table out there and not be cramped. A variety of parking options are available (for extra $), so if you decide you want to cover your car, you have the option of a carport or garage. If you want a community feel or worry that you might get a little lonely living alone, they have holiday parties and whatnot - and they are planning an event for med students, residents, physicians at MUO before classes start (they confirmed last week that this is still on). Also, especially for the ladies, you cannot get safer than Fox Chase in Toledo. That was a big selling point for me. A few cops live there and park their cars in the lot, so it looks as though Fox Chase has its own police force.

If any of you fine folks are looking for a little boost for Block 1 or the neuro section of block 3, I took those this last year. Drop me a line, and we can work out a way for you to get that edge!

I've been looking at apartments lately as well (actually my fiance is looking to move so I've been going with her). Check out Valley Stream Apartments on Garden road! You can get a 2 bedroom (just shy of 1000 sq ft) with vaulted ceilings, intercom entrance, and sunroom for $669/month.

Someone mentioned the Park Lane. I've actually lived in those apartments. I was doing a summer research program at then MCO and lived there for 11 weeks or so. They're actually pretty nice. It's directly adjacent to Mercy College (mainly a nursing school) and several nursing students lived there when I did. Also, there were some DO students that would live there for a couple months at a time while they were rotating through St Vincent's. I believe they run $600+ for a 1 br including all utilities, phone, and cable! It's within walking distance of the Art Museum, so if you're into art it would be an amazing location.

How is the relative safety of the area? Also, the most important question...good water pressure?

If any of you fine folks are looking for a little boost for Block 1 or the neuro section of block 3, I took those this last year. Drop me a line, and we can work out a way for you to get that edge!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So, after thinking my apt situation was all worked out after putting down a deposit a month ago I called yesterday to confirm which unit and it turns out Deerfield Run had never heard of me before. Yeah, quite irritating being from out of state and suddenly being without a place to live. Anyhow that problem aside, I was wondering how are you all planning to pay for an $800 a month apt when your housing stipend is supposed to include food as well? Is there anything you are subtracting money from like transportation? I'm just thinking a $100 worth of food can only go so far if you're not planning to start the Ramen/Kraft mac diet.

What bank will everyone be using? My current bank doesn't have any branches in Toledo.

I thought I was going to switch to Bank of America, but it turns out they're not in Toledo either (just Ohio). Does anyone know of any good banks in Toledo that have good online services?

Key Bank is pretty good. There is a branch about 5 min from campus. National City, Huntington and Fifth Third are also big in Toledo.

So, after thinking my apt situation was all worked out after putting down a deposit a month ago I called yesterday to confirm which unit and it turns out Deerfield Run had never heard of me before. Yeah, quite irritating being from out of state and suddenly being without a place to live. Anyhow that problem aside, I was wondering how are you all planning to pay for an $800 a month apt when your housing stipend is supposed to include food as well? Is there anything you are subtracting money from like transportation? I'm just thinking a $100 worth of food can only go so far if you're not planning to start the Ramen/Kraft mac diet.

There are tons of apartment buildings as close as across the street from campus or as far away as you want. If you're in a bind I'm sure you could devote one day when you get here and find something you like. I see for rent signs on many of the buildings.

If anyone isn't yet on the Class of 2011 facebook group, I suggest joining. There has been talk of apartments and banks, so you will find some more information there.

Thanks Abilene, I took your advice and signed for an apartment at Fox Chase a week or two ago. I finally got a chance to go down and look at the apartment, I love the complex and the management but the only thing they had available was the smallest apartment (Sandusky). I am very happy about getting an apartment there but due to lack of room I have to plan furniture accordingly and I was wondering if you by chance knew if there are wall studs above the fireplace? I know it's a pretty odd question but I thought I could wallmount a TV there and save some room, every square foot is precious right now :laugh:. Thanks again for your help and looking forward to meeting everyone at Fox Chase and also at school. Earliest move in date I could get it is the 8th, so hopefully see you all then :).

Also for the bank question I've used Fifth Third in Ohio since I've been little, they are everywhere in Ohio and have great local/online service. I've been to Toledo 3 times now and I've seen one almost every 2 or 3 streets.

So, after thinking my apt situation was all worked out after putting down a deposit a month ago I called yesterday to confirm which unit and it turns out Deerfield Run had never heard of me before. Yeah, quite irritating being from out of state and suddenly being without a place to live.

Deerfield Run? :eek: It might be a good thing that things didn't work out with them coz pretty much all upper classmen I've talked to told me to avoid this place like the plague. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Anyhow that problem aside, I was wondering how are you all planning to pay for an $800 a month apt when your housing stipend is supposed to include food as well? Is there anything you are subtracting money from like transportation? I'm just thinking a $100 worth of food can only go so far if you're not planning to start the Ramen/Kraft mac diet.

My rent is going to be $790/mo in a brand new (never-been-lived-in) apartment. This should be affordable because my landlord is paying water, gas and heat. So aside from the rent all I've got to worry about is the power bill :p And with $3K in personal savings - I know I'm not going to be living like a prince or anything - but that money in addition to my award should hold me for one year. :cool:

Guzzyron, are you living in tracy creek? I saw pictures of the complex and it looks great but I was confused on how long the drive is from there to campus. I've been told ranges from 15 mins all the way up to 30. Does seem like a really nice place to live though.

Anyhow that problem aside, I was wondering how are you all planning to pay for an $800 a month apt when your housing stipend is supposed to include food as well? Is there anything you are subtracting money from like transportation? I'm just thinking a $100 worth of food can only go so far if you're not planning to start the Ramen/Kraft mac diet.

I plan to cut spending in other categories, and then borrow a bit of money from my parents, interest free. :thumbup: Beyond that, I might take out a little bit in private loans...but I decided that, for me, it is worth the extra money.

I am very happy about getting an apartment there but due to lack of room I have to plan furniture accordingly and I was wondering if you by chance knew if there are wall studs above the fireplace? I know it's a pretty odd question but I thought I could wallmount a TV there and save some room, every square foot is precious right now :laugh:.

Okay, I think that you would be able to mount a TV above the fireplace, but I'm not sure. Your best bet is to call the office and ask them. It might be that mounting a TV destroys the wall or something, so keep in mind damage fees when you move out. I would suggest looking into a computer TV thing (like ATI TV Wonder) as well. If you have a decent computer, you can turn it into a TV and get a nice picture - and that eliminates the need for an extra box in the small space.

Guzzyron, are you living in tracy creek? I saw pictures of the complex and it looks great but I was confused on how long the drive is from there to campus. I've been told ranges from 15 mins all the way up to 30. Does seem like a really nice place to live though.

Yup, I'll probably be living in TC. Per mapquest, it's about 10.2 miles to campus (the reverse route is 8.8 mi.). And if you know your way around the drive shouldn't take 30 minutes. It took me 16 minutes from TC to campus and I don't think that's bad at all (considering I'll be relocating from a heavily congested city where on light traffic days it usu. takes an hour or more to get from one end of the city to another).

Thanks Abilene and GuzzyRon for the advice. Moving from out of state makes my loans that much steeper and the budget that much tighter. Also, does anyone know how flying to Toledo Express airport is? I have to pick my mom up for the white coat ceremony and I've only flown into Detroit.

News flash, guys :D : Our block 1 (Tentative) schedule has been posted on the orientation website. And just FYI, we'll be having our first exam on Sept 4 :scared: :scared: :scared:

Thanks Abilene and GuzzyRon for the advice. Moving from out of state makes my loans that much steeper and the budget that much tighter. Also, does anyone know how flying to Toledo Express airport is? I have to pick my mom up for the white coat ceremony and I've only flown into Detroit.

I will be moving in from OOS as well and you're right - relocation costs are no joke :mad:

TEA is a very small airport. Nothing like DTW or anything. However, the good thing about it is that there are no huge crowds to deal with, so no long lines or delays. And access thru security is a breeze. On my recent visit back from Toledo, I arrived at TEA only 20 minutes before departure and I still made my flight. ;)

The drive is about 15 - 20 min from school. Just come out the airport and make a right onto Airport Hwy, take that all the way to S. Byrne, make a right and then left on Arlington and you're on campus.

I will be moving in from OOS as well and you're right - relocation costs are no joke :mad:

TEA is a very small airport. Nothing like DTW or anything. However, the good thing about it is that there are no huge crowds to deal with, so no long lines or delays. And access thru security is a breeze. On my recent visit back from Toledo, I arrived at TEA only 20 minutes before departure and I still made my flight. ;)

The drive is about 15 - 20 min from school. Just come out the airport and make a right onto Airport Hwy, take that all the way to S. Byrne, make a right and then left on Arlington and you're on campus.

I don't know what the costs flying into Toledo's airport are, but you should definitely compare them to Detroit's. It might be cheaper to drive up to Detroit at some point and pick your mom up there.

I don't know what the costs flying into Toledo's airport are, but you should definitely compare them to Detroit's. It might be cheaper to drive up to Detroit at some point and pick your mom up there.

Well, that's another thing to think about...but it sounded to me like they already booked the flight.

Since only about 5 airlines fly TEA, flying there costs more and direct flights are hard to find. But if you book well in advance or get a travel package, you may find some decent deals. I found my round-trip ticket from ATL for $425. This also includes a 2-day hotel stay and a 2-day car rental with Alamo. I didn't think this was too bad considering I booked only 8 days in advance.

From the Board of Trustees May 2007 meeting: . The College of Medicine applications total 3,368 and acceptances total 235.

Actually oddly enough flying to Toledo and not Detroit is cheaper in her case. I don't know if it's because she's flying from Iowa or something and Detroit is probably not a hot spot for them or what but thanks for the tips. Do we get access to the rec center by being students there? Because I have heard from some people that it costs extra.