The unOFFICIAL thread for non-trads, who have famlies,work full-time, etc....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
medworm said:
There's another thread on this forum that discusses the best time for babies. I'm of the opinion MS1, to deal with morning sickness and everything else associated with the needs and temperamental whimpers of a pregnant woman. That's my opinion based on observations of others. Other moms speak from experience, so go take a look.

It's definitely a bonus that your husband is in software. Employers in that industry are generally very accomodating and flexible with hours and work from home.

I think you're on a roll. Sorry you had to redo your classes. Do look around and inquire for an exemption. The prereqs is a long road and even though it's just basic science (pushing electrons around, floating blocks and dissecting fetal pigs), I'm happy about what I've gained in school in the past year.

Keep it up and Good luck!

Hey Medworm, Thanks for the pointer to that other thread...I should have seen that myself. :) And yup, did enquire about exemptions, but most schools were fairly adamant that it had been too long since I wasn't doing anything biologically related. Some said I could try applying, but I figured why waste the time and money if I wasn't a strong applicant, it's enough of a crapshoot as it is...might as well do it right! I do wish I could go full-time though, get it over with in a year.

Good luck with your own applications. :)

Members don't see this ad.

breeak said:
Wow, I was feeling a little overwhelmed, and this thread has put things into perspective for me. I'm female, 27, engaged (can you say 'blech' to wedding planning?), working 50+ hrs/week as a software architect/consultant. I received my SB in '98 in Brain and Cog Sci. I'm just starting my pre-reqs - I have to repeat almost all of them because my credits have expired. I took physics 1 earlier this summer, and am just wrapping up physics 2...it feels endless. The cycle of work, workout, class, study never seems to stop, and the class isn't even that hard, just time consuming. At least I'm getting A's. My poor fiance is feeling neglected. In a week or two I'll be volunteering at one of the local hospitals on the weekend, and starting my fall classses (bio and chem).

It's good to see that other folks out there seem to be juggling even more responsibilities with aplomb. I would love to just take a year and do these pre-reqs full-time to get them out of the way, but it's not in the financial cards.

I have a question for the other people who do not have kids yet...fiance and I have been talking, and we figure that since I'll be 30 when I start med school, waiting till after my residency to start a family is not feasible. Any thoughts on the next best option? We are thinking 1 during the glide year, and another during MS1 or MS4...my fiance may be going to get his masters as well, so that's a consideration. He's a software guy, so the plan is for him to work from home.

You are all an inspiration, keep doin' what you're doin'!

What school is making you retake? I took all my pre-reqs in '92-'96 and except for retaking the MCAT, nobody has complained yet (although I've only had one interview and no acceptances so far this year).

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm too intimidated to post in the Pre-Allo Forum!

I'm 28, just graduated in May 2005 with a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies with Emphasis in Biology and Chemistry. Currently stay home full time with my 3- and 4-year old. Just took the MCAT for the first time in August, and plan to apply to med school in Summer of 2006. Here's to hoping that I get back a great MCAT score :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
woolfda said:
I'm glad I found this thread! I'm too intimidated to post in the Pre-Allo Forum!

Don't take all those silly pre-meds too seriously. :p

MoosePilot said:
What school is making you retake? I took all my pre-reqs in '92-'96 and except for retaking the MCAT, nobody has complained yet (although I've only had one interview and no acceptances so far this year).

UMass (my first choice) said I definitely needed to redo them. Several other schools said a similar thing - "if you want to be competitive, I would highly recommend retaking them". Alternatively, some schools said I could take upper level science courses instead of retaking classes that I've already had, but given how long I've been out I felt the benefit of getting A's in the basics would outweigh the benefit of more challenging coursework.

I also spoke with two former members of the HMS admissions committee who reiterated how much stronger my application would be after redoing them (taking me from an iffy candidate to a very strong one). Basically I felt the risk of not getting started on the classes, studying on my own for the MCAT (and probably not doing my best), and having a weakened application due to the lack of recent science grades/and or the pre-reqs and not getting in, thereby extending the whole process even longer, was too high. I'd rather take the two years, up my GPA, kick a$$ on the MCAT, fill in any question marks about the application, and ensure that I have a good chance at a range of schools.

To be specific, I have been out of school for 7 years and have been working in Software with zero science coursework/exposure since graduation. If you haven't been out for as long, or have taken some courses, or have a 4.0 undergrad GPA and a 30+ MCAT, or have been working in a lab...well, your case would be different I'm sure.

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many people who've heard different advice. I guess it all depends on who you talk to. I definitely feel good about the course I'm on though.

breeak said:
UMass (my first choice) said I definitely needed to redo them. Several other schools said a similar thing - "if you want to be competitive, I would highly recommend retaking them". Alternatively, some schools said I could take upper level science courses instead of retaking classes that I've already had, but given how long I've been out I felt the benefit of getting A's in the basics would outweigh the benefit of more challenging coursework.

I also spoke with two former members of the HMS admissions committee who reiterated how much stronger my application would be after redoing them (taking me from an iffy candidate to a very strong one). Basically I felt the risk of not getting started on the classes, studying on my own for the MCAT (and probably not doing my best), and having a weakened application due to the lack of recent science grades/and or the pre-reqs and not getting in, thereby extending the whole process even longer, was too high. I'd rather take the two years, up my GPA, kick a$$ on the MCAT, fill in any question marks about the application, and ensure that I have a good chance at a range of schools.

To be specific, I have been out of school for 7 years and have been working in Software with zero science coursework/exposure since graduation. If you haven't been out for as long, or have taken some courses, or have a 4.0 undergrad GPA and a 30+ MCAT, or have been working in a lab...well, your case would be different I'm sure.

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many people who've heard different advice. I guess it all depends on who you talk to. I definitely feel good about the course I'm on though.

I'm not applying to that level of school, really. I'm applying to great schools, don't get me wrong, but HMS? Nah :p

I took a prep class for the MCAT and that really helped me. If you're concerned about it, I highly recommmend that.

Hello, First off this forum is just the juice I needed years ago but on to my tales of wo. :) I'll try and be brief about my situation. I am 29 yo now and have wanted to be a dr for at least the last 12 years of my life. I have always had a heart for people, especially those who have been adversely challenged in life through whatever situation and genuinely want to help them. Why didn’t I just hop in at the age of 18 good Q, at 18 I was getting ready to have my 1st child and already working to support my SO and child. Anyway 12 years later hear I am still with that void. I currently have 3 children, married and have a very good career making close to six figures in the computer industry. I work around 50 hrs a week. I only have 50 credits from different community colleges and have just enrolled in Liberal Studies BA from Rutgers. I think this would be a good degree for me to finish my prereqs since I am all over the board as far as major, primarily comp sci. Having said all this is my history too much of a mess to make the grade and get an acceptance letter? Do med schools take into consideration things like career when looking at working adults mcat and gpa? I'm gonna at least finish all the prereqs and apply to get rid of this aching feeling in my gut but would really love to not be just doing all this in vain. So yes I suppose I am truly a non tradition applicant / student.

Thanks

Adcoms look at ALL applicants the same regardless of the working status or not..meaning that you still need the GPA/MCAT that is accepted at X or Y school. Working or not is not going to affect their perception because many applicants work AND still manage to maintain a very high GPA and do extremely well on the MCAT. Now this said, adcoms do appreciate the effort that working folks with families have to put forward to realize this dream and most schools are open to non-trads but as far as number goes it is still going to be the bottom line regardless of job/family...good luck!

MoosePilot said:
I'm not applying to that level of school, really. I'm applying to great schools, don't get me wrong, but HMS? Nah :p

I took a prep class for the MCAT and that really helped me. If you're concerned about it, I highly recommmend that.

Ah, but you'll notice I said right off the bat that my first choice is UMass, and they were the ones who were hardline about it.

Like I said, I'm sure it varies by individual circumstance. :) I just want to make my application as strong as possible, within reason...so two extra years doing pre-reqs isn't a big deal, to me.

In any case, I'm not worried about the MCAT, I just know I'll do better having the classes than studying on my own (or even taking a prep class). I actually taught MCAT prep classes at Kaplan my first year out of college (yes, I've taken the test before, a long, long time ago), so I know what it takes to get a great score...and that's a comprehensive knowledge of the material (as opposed to the GRE or LSAT, where test tricks can help you a lot more) -whether you get that knowledge from the undergrad courses or a test prep class is up to you...both paths only give you back what you put into them. Also, some undergrad courses are better prep for the MCAT than others - Harvard Extension Bio, from all accounts, for example, is an absolutely fantastic MCAT prep course.

Good luck with your applications/interviews, I hope you hear something positive soon! Fingers crossed. :-D

breeak said:
Ah, but you'll notice I said right off the bat that my first choice is UMass, and they were the ones who were hardline about it.

Like I said, I'm sure it varies by individual circumstance. :) I just want to make my application as strong as possible, within reason...so two extra years doing pre-reqs isn't a big deal, to me.

In any case, I'm not worried about the MCAT, I just know I'll do better having the classes than studying on my own (or even taking a prep class). I actually taught MCAT prep classes at Kaplan my first year out of college (yes, I've taken the test before, a long, long time ago), so I know what it takes to get a great score...and that's a comprehensive knowledge of the material (as opposed to the GRE or LSAT, where test tricks can help you a lot more) -whether you get that knowledge from the undergrad courses or a test prep class is up to you...both paths only give you back what you put into them. Also, some undergrad courses are better prep for the MCAT than others - Harvard Extension Bio, from all accounts, for example, is an absolutely fantastic MCAT prep course.

Good luck with your applications/interviews, I hope you hear something positive soon! Fingers crossed. :-D

Thanks! Me too!

Good luck to you on your post bacc and applications when it's time.

Can't let this thread get too far down ;)

my first post! and what a great thread to post on. i sincerely think everyone here is a great inspiration and i don't feel so crazy to have a change of heart in my career and life path.

- i am turning 26 in a few weeks
- i graduated in 2001 with a BA in math from a women's college
- i have been working at a huge financial firm for the last 4 years doing investment banking and investment management
- i chose finance so i could pay my parents' mortgage and bills
- i knew it wasn't for me and finally applied for a post bac program in nyc (city college)
- i finally met the most normal and wonderful man that i've had the priviledge of calling my boyfriend for the last year

but i'm scared sh1tless. i worry about my parents, my financial status, my boyfriend leaving me, wanting to get married and have kids at some point in my life, etc.

but, i admit, you've all helped me put my silly concerns to rest for now. for the first time in my life i'm going for what i want.

queenbee said:
but i'm scared sh1tless. i worry about my parents, my financial status, my boyfriend leaving me, wanting to get married and have kids at some point in my life, etc.
but, i admit, you've all helped me put my silly concerns to rest for now. for the first time in my life i'm going for what i want.

Your concerns aren't silly, queenbee. My two premed years while working full-time have been the most intense time of my life. I'm constantly running, I'm rarely home before 10pm with work and class afterward, and I sometimes end-up with rubber gloves from lab in my briefcase when I can't keep my two "lives" straight. It's been expensive (there was no such thing as a $250 textbook when I was an undergrad years ago, but there is now), I feel terrible when I have little time for my elderly mother, my house is constantly covered under a quarter-inch of dust, and my friendships (except with my fellow premed students) have been strained because I'm so rarely available. I won't even mention romance - but that will be heavily strained, too. Don't expect anyone in your life to fully understand what you're going through, because they can't.

Having said all of that... if you want to know how it feels after a couple of years... well, I'm finally following my heart and living my dream. I don't have an acceptance yet but I can already say - I wouldn't have missed this for the world. I've never felt so alive. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very inspiring to read all your stories. I truly enjoyed reading this post.
My story is just like many of your out there.
I came to this country as an exchange student with my then girlfriend now wife. When our program ended we signed up for college (community college is all we could afford). It was so hard because foreign students do not get financial aid, pay out of state tuition and do not have a work permit. We worked hard labor. I worked roofing construction, cook etc. After finishing the first two year, we could not afford to transfer to a university. Our laywer suggested that I go to nursing school because of the shortage it would be the easiest way to get a green card. So I went back to the community college for another two years.
We got our green cards and started a new life. I took one year off from school to pay off our debt, buy a house etc. I started back taking pre-reqs for the BSN program of nursing. I am currently finishing the BSN and also taking pre-reqs for medical school.
I work in open heart surgery and my biggest set-back has been being on call 20 some days a month and not being able to go to the nearest university that is one hour away. I have to stay within 30 minutes of the hospital at all times.
I am studying with the EK for the April MCAT. Hope to do well.
Good luck to all of you and God bless for the determination you have to carry on day after day.

Hi there,
I am one of the moderators for this website. I thought I would post a bit of my background as I was definitely an anomaly when I applied to medical school back in 1997.

Undergraduate major: Biology and Chemistry (double major).

Undergraduate minors: Physics and Math

Graduate major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Previous career: College professor (taught both undergraduate biology and biochemistry) and analytical protein chemist (studied cell-cell communication in vascular smooth muscle cells, spin trapping of free radicals in low oxygen states in cardiac muscle and the effects of ischemia/reperfusion in the stunned myocardium.)

Other career before graduate school: Political campaign manager and speech writer, TV news producer (ABC News), Pediatric/perinatal critical care respiratory therapist.

Applied to six medical schools and was accepted by all six (The luck of the naive).

Present career: PGY-4 General Surgery resident. Will do fellowship in Vascular Surgery.

njbmd :)

Hi njbmd.
Sounds you have gone through a few different careers. How old were you when you applied to med school. What was your MCAT score. I bet it was in the 40s.

Mom of 2 busy little girls (2y/o and 3.5y/o) and planning for the 3rd before I hit 35 (32 now), a hubby and a silly pit bull. Took the Aug MCAT, but :thumbdown: , so preparing for the April test.
I am a stay at home student (graduate) mom, homemaker of a gigando house on gigando property (which by the way looks like crap, since I have been neglecting it) married for 4 yrs to a wonderful IT Engeneer that absolutely Hates his job! But somebody's got to feed the kids and pay the morgage :( . I love to cook, read and when I have time (which is never)needle work. Presently taking a yoga/pilates class that is just doing wonders for my stress, not to mention I actually get to talk to adults. And by the way this is the only hour I have just for me :D .
I graduated with a double major in Psy and Bio along with a terrible GPA, and so took some good advise and been taking grad level courses (med. school told me there was no need to get a masters). I worked as a seamstress, a tuxedo assist mngr, a collectible store manager, immigration law firm paralegal and finally as a ER unit clerk/EMT (the last job for 4yrs while I had the kids, then quit to wrap things up for med school)

I plan to start MCAT review as soon as my final (medical phys.) is out of the way (Dec8th). I will be applying in the tri-state area only, so I will have to moove but at least I won't be too far away from my family, which are a great help with the kids. Hopefully I will be able to get a stay at home nanny (if we go for the 3rd.)
Good luck all! and good studyin'

for those moms in need of a friendly-in common moment, please feel free to PM me, I am always looking for someone to talk about our kind of stuff...my husband doesn't really care how fascinating the liver is :eek: and I really don't have much in common with anyone else around me :( Thanks Eli.

onmywayRN said:
Hi njbmd.
Sounds you have gone through a few different careers. How old were you when you applied to med school. What was your MCAT score. I bet it was in the 40s.

Hi there,
I was older than my MCAT score! :D Seriously, I was 45 when I applied to medical school. My MCAT score was in the high 30s. Now I am a very old general surgery resident but loving every second of what I am doing.

njbmd :)

Hi, I'm 26, living with my boyfriend, and working full time as a lab tech. No kids yet (possibly have one during med school but don't tell anyone!!), 1 kitten. Graduated in 2002, been taking some time off to travel (went to Japan for a year) and work while I figure out if research/medicine is for me. I applied to MD/PhD programs this year after I decided I want to do medicine and research. Hopefully I will get in somewhere and start next year. It's going to be a long process, but I'm really excited and anxious to start. I'm hoping to take the summer off, but most likely I won't be able to save enough money, so might settle for a short vacation. Good luck to everyone who is applying now or in the future. :luck: :luck:

Hi All!

I was in the Air Force for six years as a satellite operator. Figured out what I wanted to do about three years into it and had the slow-going of part-time school. Now I'm a civilian again, going to school full-time and working full-time. Doing really well, so far!! Have been on the National Deans List for three years and got an invite for the Scholar Laureate Delegation on Medicine.

I'm glad to be doing this now at 26- my grades were mediocre in high school and first semester of college before I enlisted. Now it's solid, and I'm enjoying the experience! I would like to specialize in cardiothoracic surgery. Call me crazy.

I'm engaged, love to surf, play guitar, camp, hike, spend much needed time with my family. I have an awesome support system, so things couldn't be better!

Good luck to all of you, and please keep us all posted on how you're doing!

Great thread!

I am 24, 2 kids, 3yr old daughter and her 2yr old partner in crime (otherwise known as 'brother.') I'm a former Marine, been out 2 years, and currently working full-time as an Arabic linguist. Knew a while back that I didn't want to sit in a dark room all day to come home with stories that I can't talk about.
Graduated from high school with a 1.7GPA! Luckily, the Marines have straightened me out and I am trying to hold on to the 4.0 that I currently have.
Interested in the surgical fields, with ortho (of which I am shadowing) at the top of the list.. although, I know that is AGES in the future and I am likely to shift my interests various times before it's all over with.
Wanted to wish the rest of you the best of luck! :thumbup: It really is great to have others that are in the same situations and understand the stress, anxiety, and other emotions that go along with the ride.

-Publius

Hi. I am 26, engaged, 2 cats, working full-time as a lab-tech. Graduated in 2001 with a degree in Biochem and Neuro. Took the MCAT in 2003 :thumbdown: and am now studying for the April 2006. I've taken some time to retake Chem. I also hope to train next year as a medical advocate for Planned Parenthood, as well as squeeze in some shadowing.

Woo hoo! A thread with real people who have real lives...

I'm 23, Married with two step children. My daughter is 4, going on 18, and my son is 10 (my red-headed step child :laugh: ) I also have a mortgage, two car payments, two dogs, and a guinea pig named George :laugh: . I work full time (48 hrs week) as paramedic for a large metro area service. I currently work nights and go to school full time (15 hrs this semester) during the day. I just started back to school and have a LONG way to go. My wife is a NP and is very supportive. I'm glad I found this thread... I now I'm not the only one crazy enough to subject myself to this lifestyle... :p

22, married, have a 6 month old baby girl, mortgage, two car payments, a cat and a dog. I work full time (40 hours/week) go to school full time (16 credits with 4 labs), my wife is an account etc. I know I am young and almost a traditional, but the said circumstances changes this. I went to college and got an associates degree in automotive science and worked as a technician for a while. it is good to see others that fight with the real hassles of life. sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but i know it will only make me stronger.

I am so happy I found this thread...

I don't feel so crazy anymore.

I am almost 29, a high school Spanish teacher (of all things), married for 8 years, 2 car notes, a mortgage, 2 kids (3&5), and Sprinkles the cat.

I have wanted to be a doctor since I was 7. I found a pic last night of me holding a stethoscope to my grandmother's chest in a lab coat. If I ever get where I want to be, I'll frame it and hang it in my office.

So, my undergrad degree did nothing to prepare me for med school, so I am kinda starting from scratch. I spent 6 years in the Navy...started out in nuclear power and ended up in Sonar...AHHHH! Majored in Spanish cause it was easy to do with a husband and a kid. Started my MEd and now I want to throw up when I think of retiring as a teacher. :barf: I love it, but it is thankless. I don't really expect medicine to be GLORIFIED, but at least I'll be following my dream.

So, I am taking all of my post-bacc science at UT Arlington, and I hope to shadow at the Baylor Med branch near my house in the not so distant future.

I hope I can finish med school at this rate by the time I am 35.

Greetings earthlings!!!!! Oh yeah! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! :D :luck: