the unthinkable..organic chem over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsangria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out that it's a terrible idea to take organic chemistry over the summer. I had no idea, and I just chose to take it over the summer to get a head start and free up my school year. Will this negatively affect my chances at getting into a high ranked medical school? All my other pre-meds were taken over the school year...and I'll be sure to take all future ones during the school year as well. Will this make up for it or should I retake the class over the school year? It sucks because I'm getting an A in the class...

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think its horrible. i took my last ochem in the summer because it was the only time i could fit it in. i thought it was harder because it was in five weeks instead of the usual ten. i think it is fine as long as it isnt at like a cc or something.

sweetsangria said:
So I just found out that it's a terrible idea to take organic chemistry over the summer. I had no idea, and I just chose to take it over the summer to get a head start and free up my school year. Will this negatively affect my chances at getting into a high ranked medical school? All my other pre-meds were taken over the school year...and I'll be sure to take all future ones during the school year as well. Will this make up for it or should I retake the class over the school year? It sucks because I'm getting an A in the class...

in my opinion I do not see this as a negative. If anything, it is harder taking it in 5 weeks versus 15 or whatever a semester may be. I am in organic ii (making a B) and personally it has been pretty difficult. I have heard of other professors making it easier for a summer session, so maybe that is why it would be considered a negative? but if you make an A, I don't see any way that could hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the middle of Organic Chem II (lecture + lab). I'll complete it next Friday. I also took Organic I (lecture + lab) this summer, in a five week term that ended on July 1.

I don't think it is easier than it would be in the regular semester because it is so intense. Lecture is M-F from 9:40 -11:10 with recitation sessions on W and F from 11:30-12:45. Lab is M, T, R from 12-4 p.m. That's three experiments a week. The write up for each experiment can take between 3-5 hours if you do a thorough job.

So that's 10 hours a week sitting in the classroom, 12 hours a week doing experiments, 12 hours a week doing write ups = 34 hours a week. I haven't even included the prelab reading, procedure write up and assignment. That can take between 1-2 hours depending on the complexity.

Also, somewhere in there I have to fit in assigned homework and studying for the 4 exams and 5 pop quizzes my instructor has scheduled. I'm studying for an exam right now, actually. Must get off SDN...

I got an A in Organic I and Organic lab I. I am getting an A in Organic II lab so far. My average in Organic II (different professor than in I) is 83%. The class average is somewhere around a 55 or so, I think.

Worst. Summer. Ever. - Still, I'll be glad to be done with Orgo after next Friday!

I took Ochem in the summer. It wasn't bad at all. Just work hard and you'll be fine. If it's really hard in the summer it would be really hard in a normal semester also. It's still the same material.

Yeah, I read somewhere at a separate forum that pre-med advisors were telling their advisees that it's okay to take pre-med courses over the summer, but under no circumstances are you to take organic chem over the summer. No reason was really specified however...any validity to this warning?

I took O Chem 2 over the summer and loved. I learned more than during the school year in just 8 weeks of classes.

dude - GPA, MCAT are huge. then extracurriculars. The time you took your classes - nobody cares, jus do well in them. ahhh undergrad, good times good times.

It is not a good idea to take pre-med courses over the summer. One or two isn't going to kill you, but a big part of medical school is being able to perform well while taking 30 credits at one time. Believe me, adcoms recognize why people take courses over the summer - to make spring and fall semesters lighter/easier. It's not going to KILL you to take summer classes if you have a high GPA (after all, a high GPA is a high GPA), but they will evaluate the difficulty of your schedule - make no mistake. In general, unless you're a double major and need to take a summer class to graduate on time, it's still a bad idea to take summer classes.

All4MyDaughter said:
I am in the middle of Organic Chem II (lecture + lab). I'll complete it next Friday. I also took Organic I (lecture + lab) this summer, in a five week term that ended on July 1.

I don't think it is easier than it would be in the regular semester because it is so intense. Lecture is M-F from 9:40 -11:10 with recitation sessions on W and F from 11:30-12:45. Lab is M, T, R from 12-4 p.m. That's three experiments a week. The write up for each experiment can take between 3-5 hours if you do a thorough job.

So that's 10 hours a week sitting in the classroom, 12 hours a week doing experiments, 12 hours a week doing write ups = 34 hours a week. I haven't even included the prelab reading, procedure write up and assignment. That can take between 1-2 hours depending on the complexity.

Also, somewhere in there I have to fit in assigned homework and studying for the 4 exams and 5 pop quizzes my instructor has scheduled. I'm studying for an exam right now, actually. Must get off SDN...

I got an A in Organic I and Organic lab I. I am getting an A in Organic II lab so far. My average in Organic II (different professor than in I) is 83%. The class average is somewhere around a 55 or so, I think.

Worst. Summer. Ever. - Still, I'll be glad to be done with Orgo after next Friday!

you just about summed up my summer too. not fun at all. ACS final on the 5th for me......

jc11011 said:
It is not a good idea to take pre-med courses over the summer. One or two isn't going to kill you, but a big part of medical school is being able to perform well while taking 30 credits at one time. Believe me, adcoms recognize why people take courses over the summer - to make spring and fall semesters lighter/easier. It's not going to KILL you to take summer classes if you have a high GPA (after all, a high GPA is a high GPA), but they will evaluate the difficulty of your schedule - make no mistake. In general, unless you're a double major and need to take a summer class to graduate on time, it's still a bad idea to take summer classes.

do you have any evidence of this?

if they don't care if you take the algebra based physics over the calc based (approximately 51559150 times harder), I find it quite hard to believe that they're going to care if you took organic in the summer instead of fall.

I took O-chem over the summer, along with genetics and an upper division math class. I think had it just been O-chem, it would have been fine. If you're smart and a good student, go ahead.

I haven't heard any credible source say that anyone ever really cares about things like course load or timing. If you take the class and get a good grade, terrific. If not...

I really don't think it is a problem to take those classes over the summer. If you are non-science major, sometimes its the only time you have to take the courses. I was just advised not to take the courses at a CC. However, I still know people who got into med school with required courses taken at CC. Therefore, I think the overall rule is just try to do well. I really doubt the all of the 200+ people taking orgo 2 at my university alone are not going reach med school because of WHEN they sat for the course. The End. :cool:

I am just finishing up orgo chem II next week. And honestly... I could care less even if that small percentage of ADCOMs care... because my scheduale would have been like 22 hours of classes next semester on top of playing football.

took organic chem and lab (2 semesters) over the summmer while preparing for the MCAT, shadowing a doctor and doing several different services of volunteer work; in fact the final was only days befor ethe MCAT. didn't have to study any organic for the MCAT :D

I took O Chem during the summer, and my brother is taking Ochem this summer. I don't think it matters when you take it, adcoms know not everyone's schedule works the same way. Just as long as you take it and do pretty well, I don't think anyone is going to care.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

tomorrowgirl99 said:
I was just advised not to take the courses at a CC. However, I still know people who got into med school with required courses taken at CC. :cool:

It all depends upon the CC. During my undergraduate year (engineering) I had no idea that in the future I would consider a career in the medical field. Since our local CC had a great pre-engr. curriculum, I chose to take my first two years at a CC. That included most all my pre-reqs. Therefore when I decided to apply, I called the med schools I was interested in and asked what to do. Should I retake them? (it had been 15 years since I had taken them!) I was VERY surprised to find that they didn't care where I had taken them OR how long ago I had taken them. I think this was due in part to the fact that the CC that I took my pre req's at has an AWSOME reputation. Then too, for classes like Gen chem and organic we took the ACS exams which gave some credibility to my ability in these subjects.

I would highly recommend that you call the institutions that you are interested in applying to. Policies differ from place to place. Please don't let the advice given here determine your choices. Your best bet is to call the medical schools you are interested in, and find out for youself what THEIR policy might be!!!

CD

tomorrowgirl99 said:
I really don't think it is a problem to take those classes over the summer. If you are non-science major, sometimes its the only time you have to take the courses. I was just advised not to take the courses at a CC. However, I still know people who got into med school with required courses taken at CC. Therefore, I think the overall rule is just try to do well. I really doubt the all of the 200+ people taking orgo 2 at my university alone are not going reach med school because of WHEN they sat for the course. The End. :cool:
bwuahahah. I'm taking prereqs at a CC ;) honestly, if you do all your prereqs at a CC then transfer to a 4 year institution, guess what? You have the SAME chances of gettign in as everyone else. If you are enrolled in a 4 yr institution THEN go on to take prereqs at a CC, your ****ed.

I'm at a 4 yr institution but I have to take one or two classes at the CC due to scheduling conflict as I'm a transfer student who's commuting an hour each way to class. I'm not going to take 2 hr of my day to drive out for a 50 min class 2 days a week. My premed advisor said no biggie. All of my upper level coursework will be (and can only be) completed at a 4 year institution.

Anyone note the hint of troll in the OP or was that just my trolldar?

Taking classes during the summer WILL NOT hurt you. In most schools you can only take one or two anyways without permission from the dean. I would advise AGAINST science classes in 4 week terms. I just took Bio I in 4 weeks and IT BLEW. Yeah apparently its less information than reg bio but I'd rather have the time ot study as I was taking 2 classes at once and in class 12 hours a day. Then a 45 min commute to and from. Not fun.

Do what you need to do ot get done but I suggest NOT taking science during the summer. Take your other classes if at all possible unless you need to. Just my personal experience in my prior undergrad degree and now as I start on my 2nd degree. :oops:

mshheaddoc and other posters,

I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I've only recently decided to pursue medicine, so I'm really behind on the pre-med requirements. I have 6 requirements left with only 5 terms left to go. I've never talked to a pre-med advisor, and I just wanted to take a pre-med requirement over the summer. I'll be getting in touch with my pre-med advisor in the fall, but I just wanted some advice in the interim.

My question came from a conversation with a pre-med at a different university. She told me that her pre-med advisor said that it was a bad idea to take organic chem over the summer. She didn't offer any explanation, just the caveat. I just wanted to get some suggestions and to clear up the issue.

sweetsangria said:

I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I've only recently decided to pursue medicine, so I'm really behind on the pre-med requirements. I have 6 requirements left with only 5 terms left to go. I've never talked to a pre-med advisor, and I just wanted to take a pre-med requirement over the summer. I'll be getting in touch with my pre-med advisor in the fall, but I just wanted some advice in the interim.

My question came from a conversation with a pre-med at a different university. She told me that her pre-med advisor said that it was a bad idea to take organic chem over the summer. She didn't offer any explanation, just the caveat. I just wanted to get some suggestions and to clear up the issue.

That other pre-med was probably just a little envious of your A in organic. I know I am ;)

sweetsangria said:

:D its all good. I just found it amusing that you were complaining of an A ;) You are fine with it. As I stated above in my post summer classes are fine and sometimes necessary to complete your degree. Esp if you are changing pace as you stated you recently have. Congrats on the pre med track and good luck :luck:

the premed advisor at my school didn't recommend that students take orgo over the summer mainly because he thought that it was easier to forget information that had been crammed into a few weeks. he tried to scare us by claiming that our mcat bio scores would be lower in the end because we would not retain the material. as a non-science major, i ended up taking orgo during the summer because it was the only time i could fit it in. i didn't end up taking the mcat until the following summer and didn't have a problem with the bio section. i'd forgotten all my science - not just orgo;) relearning it wasn't hard.

i guess that my advisor ideally wanted us to take orgo during the same school year in which we took the april mcat so that orgo would be fresh in our minds and we would not have to relearn it. since you are doing well in your orgo class, you don't need to worry at all. it'll all come back to you when you start reviewing. i also never had any interviewers ask me about the timing of my classes.