The usual.... What are my chances....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdoc8025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm writing here today to hopefully find some peace of mind for myself as I've been thinking a lot lately. I'm currently a Junor in College with a major in Biology (BS). I will be graduating with a GPA of atleast 3.75 and I have not yet taken the MCAT. However, my worries are in regaurds to my Freshmen and Sophmore years. For those, I attended a Community College and graduated with only a 3.1, however, I was then in Business Admin. My GPA did reset when I transferred to my new school and I will be finishing my BA in Bio with a GPA around a 3.75 (hopefully higher) and my sGPA should be around 3.5-3.6. Also, I think I should be able to score around a 30+ on the MCAT.

To sum it all up: Did my Freshmen and Sophmore years ruin my chances even if I graduate (BA) with a 3.75GPA+++ and a 3.6sGPA+++ and around a 30MCAT+++ score. Right now I just want to know about acceptance in regaurds to my scores, disregaurding clinical experience.

***I'm asking because Med. Schools will obv. look at my Com. Coll. Transcripts.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
-Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

What will your cGPA and sGPA be with your community college grades factored in?

To be honest, I'm not sure about the cGPA. My sGPA, however, will still be around a 3.6 as almost all of my science classes are in my J & S years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same question as minimoo. I'd also like to know if you've got any kind of EC's, clinical experience, research, etc.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the cGPA. My sGPA, however, will still be around a 3.6 as almost all of my science classes are in my J & S years.

Okay... well can you calculate it out? Or at least estimate it based on the # of units you took at each institution? Because a 3.3-3.4 would be a lot different from a 3.75 cGPA. If your science is still about a 3.6, then that looks fine.

Your right... for my cGPA from all schooling, I would finish with a cGPA of 3.3... sGPA of 3.6-3.7

So with a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.6 or so, I'd say you have a chance if you can get an MCAT of ~33+ and apply early and broadly (this is assuming the rest of your application is solid -- clinical volunteering, shadowing, leadership, community service, research, etc.)

GPA does not "reset". However, your uGPA is scary. I recommending studying for the MCAT as if your life depended on it...

morsetlis is correct. GPA doesn't "reset". You need to turn in your transcripts from all of the institutions you have attended to AMCAS. However, your later years in college with your bio degree would be considered an upward trend in regards to your GPA, no?