The Value of Networking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuttyEngDude

Red-Flagville
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
As non-trads I think we see the value in this more than others, so I wanted to start a discussion on the values of networking during pre-med, med, and post-med. I can see down the road that someone you know now can help you find a job (if job security ever becomes a question for medicine is probably debatable) if you ever wanted to switch. I've heard some stories of hospital politics and doctors changing job locations because their spouse received a job offer in a different city.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep your network taken care of, as well as benefits they've seen from it? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
As non-trads I think we see the value in this more than others, so I wanted to start a discussion on the values of networking during pre-med, med, and post-med. I can see down the road that someone you know now can help you find a job (if job security ever becomes a question for medicine is probably debatable) if you ever wanted to switch. I've heard some stories of hospital politics and doctors changing job locations because their spouse received a job offer in a different city.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep your network taken care of, as well as benefits they've seen from it? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

I still keep in touch with my undergraduate + graduate advisors from time to time, mostly via email. I ran into my graduate advisor during my former classmate's PhD defense and we played catch up for a minute in his office, which sadly looks less chaotic these days (there were 20 people in the lab when I was there and now there are are handful and he's not accepting new grad students). I've been blessed to have some really awesome, supportive mentors in academia.

As far as LOR thank-you goes, I do include something nice in addition to a card.

Members don't see this ad :)
We all network in different ways. I guess my relationship with certain people on the admissions board was frowned upon, hence my thread was closed. :(

I got my first two jobs via networking.

Networking will also play an important role in my admission to medical school and beyond.

We all network in different ways. I guess my relationship with certain people on the admissions board was frowned upon, hence my thread was closed. :(

Nice to see you again.

Networking is great, and it grows even faster/ better when your so does it too. Case in point we had a triple date with a couple of her friends and a couple of their friends, one of whom happened to be on an adcom.