The Waiting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Independent documentary on PBS about a day in the ED. Perspective from both patients and physicians. I think it does a relatively accurate job of portraying the specialty.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365092060/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Independent documentary on PBS about a day in the ED. Perspective from both patients and physicians. I think it does a relatively accurate job of portraying the specialty.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365092060/

Watching now. You might just get your first like.

Just finished it. Not bad. I think it would turn off quite a few people from the specialty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Got about 20 minutes in and I look forward to finishing it tomorrow. Always interesting to hear things from the patients side to, and I guess it speaks to how frustrating it can be on both sides.

Is it really going to be taken down in 2 days? I would like to recommend this to some people around me that might not be able to get to it by then

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link! Got about 20 minutes in and I look forward to finishing it tomorrow. Always interesting to hear things from the patients side to, and I guess it speaks to how frustrating it can be on both sides.

Is it really going to be taken down in 2 days? I would like to recommend this to some people around me that might not be able to get to it by then

It was just on my local PBS station as part of their "independent lens" series - might be able to find it and DVR/OnDemand it.

But yeah, pretty cool. Seemed balanced (a lot of documentaries tend to portray the extremes, I've found). Liked it a lot...

-d

Pretty good documentary. Makes me happy that I work where I do though....120k visits with an avg door to doc of 22 min makes my life better than 40 in the WR for eons

I've tried watching it several times so far and the website keeps hanging up. Don't know if it's the wifi where I'm at or the site itself.

Alternatively, you can rent it from Amazon or iTunes for $3.99.

Just finished, and I enjoyed taking the time to watch it. It does seem to hang up a few times but I got through it by fast forwarding a few seconds after the trouble spots (via manual click on the time bar); hope that helps.

Played it in the background while I did some work today. I wasn't necessarily surprised with any of it. It did a great job of showing the patient side of the frustration, and it showed why they couldn't move anything in the department.
It's more of a video for the people who don't work there, than for those that do. I'm looking forward to 24/7/365.

Played it in the background while I did some work today. I wasn't necessarily surprised with any of it. It did a great job of showing the patient side of the frustration, and it showed why they couldn't move anything in the department.
It's more of a video for the people who don't work there, than for those that do. I'm looking forward to 24/7/365.

Any idea when it'll be released?

I watched it without issue, 10am, 29 Oct 2013, EST. Notwithstanding a note from yesterday saying it would expire today, no tech issues with Firefox 24 on Win 7 32-bit.

As to the content, it seemed like the REAL "Real Stories of the ER" - sick, poor people. That about sums it up.

This movie really hit me. At one point my toddler asked me to turn it off "because it's too scary". The thing that is really odd to me is that what was shown was not an especially harrowing day in a county ED - I have worse days regularly and brush them off - but when I see this stuff with the perspective gained from some distance, I'm blown away by how intense the ED experience is.

That probably means I've got some axis 2 disorder...

We had a screening of this documentary at TUCOM-CA last year--and since Highland is about 30 minutes away from us--there was a panel afterwards that included some key people in the movie including the director, Peter Nicks, and the main triage nurse that was featured in the film. It was such a good experience to hear the stories that they told. Definitely was inspiring for the faculty and students to see how crucial county hospitals like Highland are as a safety net for the community. I definitely hope to match into a fine institution like this in the future for training.