The waitlist blues. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonfly9

Frickin' Chicken
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Misery loves company. . .

Anyone with me here?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't you already decided to go to Pitt?

Dragonfly
You are not alone. Which school are you waiting for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dragonfly, I'm sitting here in misery just like you. NYU has me on their wait list and they won't tell me anything, possibly until the first day of school:( Just keep hoping and never give up!

I am down with that! I am on 4 waitlists. I guess next time I wont apply in January.....

HI there,

You are not alone, I am on the waiting list too..

:( :( :confused: :eek:

I don't mean to offend anyone here but, if I may ask, how bad were your grades to so far not get accepted to a single dental school?

I personally know seven dental applicants. Their gpas ranged from 2.8 to 3.3 and their DATs were from 17 to 19. These are your typical gentlemen, with no extraordinary credentials of any kind. A few applied in August and the rest held off on applying until Dec. They all got in somewhere and one even got into a SUNY and Penn. The applicants were either white or Indian and all were US citizens and state school matriculants.

In fact, ever since I've known people in college, I never heard of anyone being denied by all of the DO, dental, pharm, chiro, therapy, law, or MBA programs that they applied to. Strangely, I do hear of many kids getting denied by vet programs.

I have two friends who didn't get in this year. They both had around a 3.3 and 17-19 DAT. Granted, they only applied to schools here in the Southeast. But they were still smart people. (BTW, one was Hispanic and one was Korean.)

About half of applicants are rejected - similar to most professional programs. Aside from having the right numbers, there's a little but of luck involved in the process too. So don't feel bad if you have to give it another shot this year. :)

Logistical99-

I had a 20 dat (w/21 total science) and a 3.2 gpa. I work in a hopsital, have shadowed various dentists for over a year, and have research experience. I think one of my problems was that I was quite ill a couple of semesters (mononucleosis and a potential subdural hematoma) and had to take quite a few W's. Another problem was that I only applied to 5 private schools-and not one was boston or NYU- and the rest were state schools. Since my state has no dental school, by the time I applied, I was told that the classes at the state schools were full. Mark Lombard at Temple told me that the committe didn't like all of my W's during my illnesses . Apparently Temple figured if I got ill, I would withdraw from school so they passed on me. Mark said if I would have written a letter explaining that if I did get ill again, I would not withdraw, things would probably have been different.

Anyhow, that's my story.

Perc-

It does seem like everyone seems to get in, even with stats that seem below the bar that schools like to advertise. However, I think SDN just naturally has a concentration of the more gung-ho applicants who are serious about the pursuit of dentistry. I am sure this shines through during interviews, the application process, etc. Both of my high school friends who got into med school had either MCATs or GPAs below the matriculating average, and many of the dental students I know here at my school got in with slightly below the advertised average marks. However, all did their pre-dent here as well, and the bar IS lower numbers-wise for students who are state residents and did their undergrad here, because the adcoms know it is harder than any other school in the state, or even the Big 10 for that matter, with the exception of Northwestern.

PT and PA schools can be harder than med school to get in, especially PA. My sister is pre-PA and just finished her first year with a 3.7, and she may have to step that up to get in.

DO is a little harder than dental school to get in, however the nice thing about both dental and DO is that they seem to have more mercy on those who have blemishes on their records. This is an awesome thing. Some of the most motivated people towards a career in medicine or a career in dentistry that you will see here or anywhere else have blemish records. They are the ones that didn't quit like everyone else when they got a C (or worse!) in freshman chemistry. This is only further proof of a true desire for the profession, in my eyes. Neither school will take unqualified people, and both will make you prove your worth before acceptance. It is admirable that they seem to understand that sometimes, personal motivation and intangibles are more important than a couple of numbers.

Pharm USED to be easy to get in, but the massive publicity it has got lately in the news has created a huge surge of applicants. My school has received 40% more this year, and I know of two people with a 3.7 and 3.9 who were denied, simply because they had no exposure to the field. They just applied cause people were getting jobs in it.

Chiro has always been a cakewalk to get in, if you can pay for it and have any sort of passable grades. Same with podiatry. The compensation, security, and respect levels of these programs lag FAR behind dentistry, pharm, or medicine though.

Law and B-schools can be a crapshoot, I think anyone can get into a lower tier program, but prestige schools can be as tough as anything in the grad world. In no other area is the reputation of the school more important. Law is very heavy on the LSAT and undergrad reputation for admissions, and B-Schools look a lot at work experience. Most top-20 schools won't let you in without at least 3-5 years of major business experience. However, I know a guy who just got in at Purdue's top-25 MBA program, in the most competitive application cycle EVER, with a 3.2 GPA and he is currently a temp at my girlfriend's mid-sized company. Anything can happen. He may have rocked the GMAT too, I don't know. Purdue just passed up my school in the MBA rankings this year, and we would have laughed at his app...so its not just how hard the school is to get in, its what you do when you get there.

Want a real challenge??? Clinical psych. Good luck... My school is #1 nationally in it, and won't even process apps without a 3.6. Even then, your chances are under 1%, and that number isn't inflated by people applying to 20 schools like med or dental school.

Chiro has always been a cakewalk to get in, if you can pay for it and have any sort of passable grades.

No kidding. A few years ago I visited the websites of a a couple chiro programs and requested information on the programs. I was getting stuff every other week for close to a year about why I should choose their program; it all seemed pretty desparate to me. :)

I do think that most pre-whatevers tend to stress way too much about the difficulty of gaining acceptance into a program. According to AMCAS, even ~50% of MD applicants get an admission each year.

I would like to see a current list of the average stats of matriculating students for U.S. dental schools. I think it would be useful and encouraging for applicants to see. In searching for such a list, I found this list for medical schools and was surprised at how much lower the standards were than I had thought. http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/premed/MCAT_GPA_List.htm I think it's pretty safe to assume that dental stats are even lower.

Anybody know where I can find something like that? Just curious about it.

Oh, I am in at a school and I know its probably a little selfish of me to be waiting on another, but there are a lot of things drawing me toward the school that I am waiting on.