The way in which I am finishing pre reqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PostDocCain, May 14, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PostDocCain

PostDocCain

Oct 27, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sooooo freshman year I came into college wanting to be a dentist so I choose bio as a major and I took bio with lab and got Cs in the lecture and As and Bs in the lab. I did not take chem as a frehsman like the typical bio major cuz I did not think I could handle it and I looking back on the decision it would of been too much but after bio lec and the labs my sGPA was 2.607

Sophomore year I switched to business and almost gave up hope on becoming a dentist but after working in business related jobs and being bored and seeing people stuck at a job they did not want to be at I wanted to try science again but instead of switching majors I decided to just take the science classes as free electives for the upcoming year. Does this gap year pose a problem? I only took business courses that year and math both semesters and got an C+ in apllied cal 1 and a B- in applied cal 2 but i dont thing those classes are important (correct me if I am wrong) for DS cuz schools mostly advertise engineering calculus which is 4-5 credit hours a semester and my math was only business calculus for 3 semesters.

Junior year during the fall I was in gen chem with lab but withdrew from both after three weeks cuz I got a C on the first exam but in the spring picked it back up and got an A- in the lecture & a B+ in the lab. The practice problems at the end of the book and studying chem 7 days a week for an hour or 2 paid off and this put my sGPA at 2.938. It sucks that I had to get 2 Ws on my transcripts cuz I was a day late for the withdrawing period.

Summer semester just started and Im in gen chem 2 and the lab and should get an A- or A (it's the 12 week full summer term class and Im not occupied with anything else) in both hopefully which will put me in the 3.0 ballpark. Will the fact that I am not taking this pre req with a full semester load be a problem? I wanted to finish out gen chem and move onto physics and ochem so that I can establish a BCP gpa and move closer towards applying.

And another question relating to pre reqs do schools that use 5 year rules for science pre reqs give any leniency? because some schools say 5 and others say 10?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.