"The well rounded IMG"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KEMU163

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For starters, I bet this thread has been seen and discussed before but this is a harassed IMG preparing to take the steps.
Before I venture into it I just wanted to ask what does a student (IMG or otherwise) need to have besides a high score to make it to a good residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost every IMG I've seen at "top" residency also has a PhD. Granted, that's not something you can do simply to bolster your application.

For starters, I bet this thread has been seen and discussed before but this is a harassed IMG preparing to take the steps.
Before I venture into it I just wanted to ask what does a student (IMG or otherwise) need to have besides a high score to make it to a good residency?

USCE with good LoRs are the next biggest things. I'm sure factors like research publications, clinical skills and spoken english skills make a difference as well. Probably doesn't hurt if your medical school is prestigious as well.