Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Theology degrees

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shhx, Dec 18, 2005.

1. shhx

shhx Junior Member

Just for information's sake (since none of this will actually change my mind):

Has anyone ever applied with a Theology degree? (Not to be confused with Religious Studies - Theology actually requires that you believe what you're studying.) I'm doing a double, Chemistry and Theology, but I was wondering if anyone's ever gotten any strange reactions. Mostly I'm worried that I'm going to be viewed as some kind of religious zealot who will be the harbinger of fiery doom to the faithless world of medicine. Or something. Just thought I'd ask. :)

2. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I don't know about medicine being faithless- I know a lot of physicians who are some of the most devout members of the church I attend (Granted, I'm an Episcopalian so it's not the rigid dogma of say a Catholic or Pentecostal :smuggrin: )

3. shhx

shhx Junior Member

I was kidding about medicine being faithless.

I have to admit, though, I get some strange looks when I tell people what my course of study involves. :D

Edited to include: I was kidding about being a religious zealot/harbinger of fiery doom, too.

4. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I'm certain it would have minimal/no effect on your application. The Theology background would most probably call for reading of interesting texts -- which can directly help you on your MCAT Verbal. Keep with it, and don't worry about it. Sorry, don't have any personal experiences but I feel when applying -- you should simply do what you feel! Not what you feel adcoms will like.

5. FictionalGirl

FictionalGirl Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't see it as a problem. In fact, it can probably help your career later. If people of your religion come to see you as a doctor, they may feel they can relate to you especially well because you share their values. A friend of mine, a very religious Christian, went to a psychiatrist who expressedly mentioned their christian values in their "about me" on their website, and it was a great match for her. So i think that as long as you don't come across as fire and brimstone zealeatous, its nice. THere are chaplains at hospitals. So why not a doctor with a theology degree? What religion are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious, since I don't hear of a lot of people getting undergrad theology degrees. is it at a religious university?

6. shhx

shhx Junior Member

I'm Roman Catholic, about to transfer schools. I'm applying at three, all Catholic colleges: Carroll, in Montana; Regis, in Denver; and St. Martin's, in Lacey, Wa. I'm dead excited about it. I started with Religious Studies, but because I'm only applying to secular Catholic schools, it sorta morphed to Theo. I was bummed at first, but now I'm thrilled. :D

7. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

That's great. I was thinking of going to study theology at the University of Edinburgh if MD/PhD programs didn't accept me this year.

Though I wonder if some of the more "elite" programs like Edinburgh and Heidelberg are more academic and not very "real life".

8. tob127

tob127 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think it may be much more of an advantage than you think. Many schools look for non-science majors. I say the less popular the major the better - it'll help you stick out better.

9. KidDr

KidDr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I applied and got into several schools with my theology + cultural studies major. I found that, if anything, people were intrigued by it and overall it was probably an asset to my app, because it was something different from your typical science major. And, I loved my undergrad years because I loved the classes I was taking.
    :luck:

10. tubercle

tubercle Member
    5+ Year Member

how come a degree in theology implies you believe what you study? you can certainly get a terminal degree from the jewish theological seminary in nyc and not be jewish.

11. I also find this statement to be untrue.....

12. paceac

paceac paceac441
    5+ Year Member

I minored in Biblical studies. I indicated that on my AMCAS application but it has never come up in an interview. A friend from college did a double major, Theology and biology. He is a highly qualified applicant who is doing just fine with the whole process.

13. shhx

shhx Junior Member

Poor phrasing on my part, but the gist is the same. Theology courses are taught on the assumption that the religion they concern is The Truth, but Religious Studies courses are more unbiased in that they don't assume that the religion they're studying is any more correct than any other.

14. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It will come in handy when dealing with doctors who have God complexes. :)

15. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I would definitely not get this point across in your essays or in your interviews if you are asked about it. Being religious can certainly be a great thing, but assuming your religion is correct and that all others are wrong is not something I would convey to an interviewer. Many people take this as being close-minded; I know I would if I were an interviewer. Just something to think about. But good luck...it's definitely a positive to have a unique major.

16. As most people have mentioned, I agree that as long as you don't come across as being judgmental of others, you can definitely use it to you advantage.

It also gives you kinda an advantage at Christian schools, like Loma Linda, if you're interested.

17. newguy357

newguy357 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hah, don't worry. I know a guy who really is a religious zealot and who's personal statement literally shares the gospel of Jesus Christ and he got at least one acceptance so far.

18. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    On the other hand, I like it when people stick to their guns and don't waver around. "Well, I believe the earth is round, but it could be flat, or perhaps even a quadrilateral. Whatever you want to believe is okay." Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out. :p

19. MrBurns10

Resident [Any Field]
    But there is a significant difference between having FAITH and KNOWING. The Earth is round, that is a proven fact; you don't have to simply believe it is. Religious truth can't be proven, at least while we are on this Earth. Once people proclaim to know that their religion is true and everyone else's is false, it's no longer faith. My point isn't to have faith, it's to not automatically assume you can't be wrong or that other people can't be right. And that if the OP really feels this way, that it wouldn't be the best idea for him to relate this to the adcom or interviewer.

20. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

Oh this is so lame. In an interview this stuff would never happen. You'd say something like "my faith mandates" or "I am a Christian and want to follow Christ's commandment..." - you would never just say "Jesus is the only way and everyone else is going to hell," although you may believe it.

You obviously don't get the meaning of faith - the whole point is that you believe without proof. In Hebrews, it says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Now, I really don't get what is "offensive" or "unprofessional" here. If you become a wishy-washy voiceless individual, you just become another sheep in the herd. People should stand up for things they believe in, regardless of what a medical school thinks.

I've talked about my Christian faith at 3 of my 4 medical school interviews so far. The first school I was rejected at, the second I got in, and the last one I haven't heard from.

I think that ADCOMS are definitely more reasonable than these diversiticrats that seem to have run amock.

Anyway, point is - a theology degree is unique and interesting.

21. MrBurns10

Resident [Any Field]
    Relax. My point was exactly your first one...I think you have to phrase things in a certain way and not make it appear as thought you're condemning everyone who doesn't believe what you do. And I absolutely do get the meaning of faith...I have strong faith and I believe what I do without proof, but at the same time I am the first to admit that there's a possibility I may be wrong. To say that what I have isn't faith because I don't proclaim to "know" what I possibly cannot know is pretty shortsighted. I didn't intend to get into an unnecessary religious argument in some anonymous internet pre-med thread; I only intended for the OP to understand that not everyone will be receptive to the "my religion is right and I know it" idea and to be careful with how he phrases things.

22. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Likewise, those who might want to "witness" to others, might keep it to themselves in the interviews. Some non-Christian physicians are adamant in their aversion to colleagues (or future colleagues) who want to prostyltize in the doctors' lounge.