Therapeutic Hypothermia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What conditions/operations do anesthesiologists use hypothermia for? Craniotomy? CABG? Transplant?

Members don't see this ad.

Back in the day, aneurysms involving the aortic arch. Regards, ----Zippy

There has been some research in complete exsanguination of dogs, replacing their blood with oxygenated liquid (I forget what. Flourocarbons I think?) and then bringing them back.

They tried it with pigs, and in the middle, they severely damaged the pigs, to simulate trauma, and then repaired them before they brought them back to life.

Granted, I read this in discover, not a peer reviewed journal, but its still pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
If ya cold when ya come in, you stay cold whilst you repaired.

If ya on Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest cause you got a nasty Aortic/Pulmonary artery whatever, then take em down to 15-18 C for 45 min or less with a blast of thiopental before exsanguination.

There is always retrograde cerebral perfusion but I don't know how to do it.

If you wanna do some cerebral protection otherwise and not on CPB 35 C should do the trick.

Otherwise warm=good.

Friday I saw a CRNA using hypothermia for a hernia repair, I think it's a new technique they are using to keep their mortality rate low.
Was the pt suffering from infection and fever? It is over treatment that using hopothermia for a regular hernia repair. Was her procedure based on evidence?

This forum always reminds me that irony and sarcasm are extremely difficult to pick up on.

Yes, I am being faKecious (sic)

Was the pt suffering from infection and fever? It is over treatment that using hopothermia for a regular hernia repair. Was her procedure based on evidence?