Heron Therapeutics Sustained Bupivacaine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrfromtheSix

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the forum. What does everyone think about Heron Therapeutics? They are developing a sustained bupivacaine combined with meloxicam. It isn't approved yet, will anyone use it when it is approved? Any concerns around injecting meloxicam with the bupivacaine?

Members don't see this ad.

I think people that develop long acting bupivacaine are super duper dumb. I have never understood why Pacira did it.

The long acting part is from the delivery system (and in Pacira's case, they could have made the liposome last for 5 days, 7 days...whatever).

What is the most neurotoxic local anesthetic? Bupivicaine.
What is the most cardiotoxic local anesthetic? bupivacaine
What has the narrowest therapeutic index? bupivacaine.

So if you could pick ANY local anesthetic and make it last as long as you want based on your long acting delivery vehicle, why wouldn't you pick a very short acting and safer local anesthetic. It makes absolutely no sense to me to pick the most dangerous one of the bunch.

So to answer your question...right off the bat, I think the scientist at Heron are not very smart (but other than that...never heard of the product).