Therapy/Support for Psychiatrists?

Started by psych2b
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psych2b

ever hopeful
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does there exist a support group for psychiatrists, once we're all in practice? I notice that several residency programs offer process groups or even psychoanlaytic psychotherapy for their residents, but I was more wondering about full-fledged practicing psychiatrists - other than the APA, which is the professional organization, is there generally a support group, or meditation group, or some group that encourages the general well-being of psychiatrists? Or maybe, psychotherapists? Or both?

If so, what are they called? I keep googling "psychiatrist group support" and the results are all for patients (led by psychiatrists).

(I'm writing a paper on it for my 4th year elective, but at the moment, coming up with zilch - the thought of writing something about the business side of psychiatry makes me want to poke my eyes out, so I was hoping for something more fun... but it has to be "non-clinical"... and ethics had been done to death... but if you have any "fun" ideas, please post those too! Thanks!) 😍
 
psych2b said:
Does there exist a support group for psychiatrists, once we're all in practice? I notice that several residency programs offer process groups or even psychoanlaytic psychotherapy for their residents, but I was more wondering about full-fledged practicing psychiatrists - other than the APA, which is the professional organization, is there generally a support group, or meditation group, or some group that encourages the general well-being of psychiatrists? Or maybe, psychotherapists? Or both?

If so, what are they called? I keep googling "psychiatrist group support" and the results are all for patients (led by psychiatrists).

(I'm writing a paper on it for my 4th year elective, but at the moment, coming up with zilch - the thought of writing something about the business side of psychiatry makes me want to poke my eyes out, so I was hoping for something more fun... but it has to be "non-clinical"... and ethics had been done to death... but if you have any "fun" ideas, please post those too! Thanks!) 😍

Psych2b,

That's an interesting concept, but I'm wondering what the rationale for it would be. Usually support groups link people dealing with a common problem, and being a psychiatrist is-- I hope-- not a problem. What kinds of issues do you envision such a group dealing with? And as for personal issues unrelated to an individual's career, why do you think that a psychiatrist would benefit more from a group composed of other psychiatrists?
 
nortomaso said:
Psych2b,

That's an interesting concept, but I'm wondering what the rationale for it would be. Usually support groups link people dealing with a common problem, and being a psychiatrist is-- I hope-- not a problem. What kinds of issues do you envision such a group dealing with? And as for personal issues unrelated to an individual's career, why do you think that a psychiatrist would benefit more from a group composed of other psychiatrists?


It's not quite the same, but I know of a group of practicing psychologists who hold regular peer supervision meetings. Although the focus is primarily on talking through difficult/challenging issues surrounding current cases, it's also a nice way to stay connected to colleagues and to work through countertransference issues (even a CBT-oriented PhD like myself acknowledges the role of countertransference 😉 ). I imagine that one indirect effect of this kind of peer supervision is that practitioners give and get support from one another, which may help with burn-out.

Another model for this comes from DBT. It is strongly recommended that DBT practitioners hold regular peer supervision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
psych2b said:
(I'm writing a paper on it for my 4th year elective, but at the moment, coming up with zilch - the thought of writing something about the business side of psychiatry makes me want to poke my eyes out, so I was hoping for something more fun... but it has to be "non-clinical"... and ethics had been done to death... but if you have any "fun" ideas, please post those too! Thanks!) 😍

Portrayals of mental illness/psychiatry in cinema....
 
OldPsychDoc said:
Portrayals of mental illness/psychiatry in cinema....

Yeah there was a presentation on this at APA this year, you could probably download some of the references from their website--a good topic. 🙂