Thermodynamics and energy and bonds Q

Started by bored
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bored

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I am going crazy thinking about this and need someone to come in on this discussion.

So Breaking a Covalent Bond requires energy in the form of Ea. (it can be exothermic or endothermic, depending on the stability of the product compared to the reactant)

However, I don't understand what happens for Making a Covalent Bond. Books say making a covalent bond releases energy. but thermodynamically how is that possible??

I get that anabolic reactions require energy because A+B --> AB may be entropically unfavoured. but then how can these anabolic reactions release energy??
 
Maybe as particles accelerate toward each other to form a bond they release energy to the surroundings?
I don't think you need to know detailed stuff like this for MCAT though.
 
When a bond is formed from atoms in their elemental state (no full octet), the atoms gain a full octet either through covalent or ionic bonding. By filling their electron shells, the bonded atoms are more stable and they are at lower energy level then the reactants. Thus, bond formation can be considered to be exothermic.
 
When a bond is formed from atoms in their elemental state (no full octet), the atoms gain a full octet either through covalent or ionic bonding. By filling their electron shells, the bonded atoms are more stable and they are at lower energy level then the reactants. Thus, bond formation can be considered to be exothermic.

That's so simple, cant believe I spent time to think about it.

Thanks