Thesis Based MS or Biomedical Science MBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFRalo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
First of all sorry about the "what are my chances" theme...again.

I haven't taken the DAT yet so can't give you any scores. My situation in a nutshell is I have a 3.8 CC overall GPA and 3.75 science GPA there. Transferred to UF have a 3.13 due to having too much fun :cool:

I did pretty bad in Physics and Organic (C+ in physics 1 and 2, B in Orgo 1 and C in Orgo 2 though I got an A in orgo 2 lab). Despite this I have a very strong upward trend in my GPA (2.5 to a 3.9). I plan on loading up on science classes next year and doing well.

I'm pretty set on doing a Master's, though I don't know whether to do a MBS (at USF) or MS (at UF). I have lots of extracurriculars and research experience so I think I'm good in that department.

So which do you guys think would be better for my situation? Work on the science GPA with an MBS or do a thesis-based MS?

Any input would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a low science GPA, I would suggest you do the MBS, b/c it is similar to courses you will take in dental school and will show the adcoms you can handle upper level sciences. Many of the schools suggested to me that I do a "non thesis-based masters program in a science-based curriculum" to best improve my chances. Do you know what your science GPA is?

It's around a 3.1 or so, so pretty low. The thing is, I have heard mixed things from every school I've asked. The best response was from VCU basically saying get a degree in whatever you want so long as the grades are good. Some of the ones I would stand a better chance with seem to think the Biomedical Sciences Master is better, but there have also been a lot of schools saying the MS is better.

Also, do you think that if I manage to do well (mostly A's) next year that I should apply next summer, or wait until after I finish the Masters (assuming I do the one year MBS)?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you make all A's and take a heavy course load of science classes, I would definitely try to apply next summer as well. Adcoms seem to like an upward trend in grades. It would also depend on your DAT score; if you do well (20+), then I would definitely apply.

Do what 4thMolar said but it is easier said than done. Definitely think about this and be committed to it because these masters programs are a lot of work. The point is to prepare you for medical/dental school so be mentally prepared before you commit yourself and throw thousands of dollars at it.

I feel like I've matured a lot in the past few years, so I think I would be ready after next year for one of those programs. I'd like to take the DAT next April-May, but I don't want to sacrifice my grades to study for the DAT. Do you think if I took only 2 science courses, like molecular genetics and Immunology that that would be enough science? I would like to take the Kaplan class and I know those are time consuming so it would be pretty rough with another science. I just don't want to get stuck with mediocre scores when I obviously need really good ones. :oops: