Thesis Cancelation effect on Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my application to medical school I mentioned I was planning on doing an honors thesis...at this point because of last semester I will not be able to gain honors at graduation because of my gpa...should I worry about this affecting the schools at which I have already been accepted

Members don't see this ad.

In my application to medical school I mentioned I was planning on doing an honors thesis...at this point because of last semester I will not be able to gain honors at graduation because of my gpa...should I worry about this affecting the schools at which I have already been accepted

I doubt it will have much of an effect. I ended up drastically chaning my classes this semester and was kind of worried that some schools might rescind an acceptance after they found out or soemthing. I emailed them all with an update, and they said it was fine. You might want to do the same.

I doubt it will have much of an effect. I ended up drastically chaning my classes this semester and was kind of worried that some schools might rescind an acceptance after they found out or soemthing. I emailed them all with an update, and they said it was fine. You might want to do the same.

Thanks HumbleMD!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the exact same situation (except that my GPA is fine for honors, I just got screwed out of completing my project by my PI). In any case, I started a thread about this last week sometime and most of the feedback suggested honesty. For the most part, I don't think this will affect your chances much unless the reason your GPA dropped because of really awful grades this past semester - which would be a different reason, not just because you didn't do your thesis or complete honors. In any case, the way I'm going about this is to go through my interviews as I've started them, still talking about the research I've done and all that. Then, after I get accepted, I will send them an updated transcript with the new classes I'm taking this semester. That would be a subtle way of telling them that I'm no longer doing my thesis (which was listed as an expected class for this semester on my AMCAS) and I figure if they have a problem with it, they will let me know. If not, alls well that ends well.

Okay so I am really in both situations...we have had issues getting clearance to work on the Air Force base which is where I would have done the research...I am still doing a thesis just might not graduate with honors...I have completely changed my topic and because of the scrambling at the last minute I failed to focus on my classes to a significant degree plus with interviews I missed 15 days of class...I ended up getting a 3.1 last semester but it was enough to pull me away from the required gpa to graduate with honors....I have to get a 3.9 this semester which at my school doesnt really happen ever....it will likely be impossible for me to achieve this since I have to spend so much time focusing on my thesis and less on classes.