Thesis Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johannen

Weathered Wayfarer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, all. Opinion time!

It recently became obvious that the research I was doing was not going to yield a senior thesis. I could write one on what I had, but it would be low quality, and my research advisor and I decided against it. I had the thesis changed on my class schedule to independent study so that I could still get credit for the work that I was doing. I will receive 'A's in each independent study listed.

The issue is that by changing this so late in the spring semester, I now have "drop" noted for the thesis for each semester. I've asked about this, as it didn't really seem like a drop to me, but I don't believe there's anything I can do. Which is fine.

The question, then, that I pose is this
: when I have my final transcripts sent to the schools that are still considering me, do I send a letter of my own explaining my transcript? Or do I ignore this for the time being and let them interpret it how they'd like and contact me if they need further clarification?

The only place my thesis was mentioned on my application was under my Research EC. The research EC still stands, as I worked in this lab for 5 semesters and understand the research and review process fully.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I probably wouldn't send them in my transcripts until I was offered an acceptance. Then I would accept it and send in my transcript. My feeling is it could hurt your chances of getting off the WL but I don't think they could rescind the offer if it came through. Most schools let you petition dropped class just FYI. You can get these changed by getting your PI sign a petition form and you turn it into the registrar's office. I would look into this more.

The other thing you can do is send in a letter with the transcript explaining the situation. But I think that is risky business. If you are thinking about applying again next year it is something to mention if asked but I wouldn't bring it up.