They won't let me shadow a sonographer....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markatrus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...how am I supposed to know FOR SURE if sonography is for me?! I've been taking a close look at becoming a DMS. I've read what I can about the career, and from the OUTSIDE it looks like the perfect career for me. However, I can't get to the guts of it!!! I've called several places to see about shadowing and they say they don't allow it b/c it's such a personal exam, b/c of HIPAA, etc. I'm currently taking my prereqs at a CC and plan to apply to a medical university where I'd earn my BS. Even that university (also a hospital!), offers "Shadow Days", but exludes Sonography!!! Being the neurotic type, I'm going nuts with this. I NEED to know whether this is something I can do...and most importantly, be good at. I have a million "what if's"...but predominantly I wonder if there's a chance that I won't ever be able to master the skill of recognizing anatomy during the exam.....that's IF I can even learn anatomy. (That's another concern). I haven't taken my A&P's yet...and I'm confident that I can learn the material long enough to pass tests, but I am concerned that I'll become overwhelmed with the AMOUNT of material...and that I'll have to remember that amount for forever!!! I fear it will discourage me from moving forward, (like if it's so difficult and I struggle with the basics, why bother?) I know that with a lot of professions you don't have to remember every detail you learned previously. However, I also know that a DMS needs to know A LOT of anatomy. My question here is am I expected to forever remember everything I will learn in A&P? I understand these are silly questions, but I just need to know what I'll be in for...before I make the commitment. Oh, also...I'm 5' 2", 110 lbs. That's a minor concern, however, perhaps it should be a major one? I don't know. Can anyone give me words of wisdom, encouragement, comfort, information? (Please don't purposely discourage me, for the sake of doing so. Some people on here I've seen are so synical.)

For me, this is will be a big commitment. I "wasted" a few years earning my AAS in Architecture (during which time I met my husband, which turned into a 2 yr break, we had two babies. During this break I realized I needed something different...science/health related, but first I went back to finish up my degree in Architecture). While I have some skills in that area, it's not what I wanted to do constantly. I went into architecture without doing any research, without any soul-searching....NOTHING. An artistic talent is the ONLY thing that drew me to it. (A year or two before jumping into Architecture, my first husband, who I also have two children with had passed away). Definitely, the least thought-out, hasty move I've ever made...in hindsight, I think I was just trying to quickly do something/anything..."if I earn a degree I'll get a better job"...still in autopilot-type mode. This time, I feel, is my last "shot", and I want to check, double check, and triple check to be perfectly sure that I am capable of doing, and most importantly, that I will enjoy this potential career. I can't be a stay-at-home mom for forever (although I feel so blessed to have been able to do so). Our youngest will start K in 2 years and I'm able to "start over". I see that as a blessing & wonderful opportunity...something I can't afford to mess up this time. Thank you for anyone that can give me some insight!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...how am I supposed to know FOR SURE if sonography is for me?! I've been taking a close look at becoming a DMS. I've read what I can about the career, and from the OUTSIDE it looks like the perfect career for me. However, I can't get to the guts of it!!! I've called several places to see about shadowing and they say they don't allow it b/c it's such a personal exam, b/c of HIPAA, etc. I'm currently taking my prereqs at a CC and plan to apply to a medical university where I'd earn my BS. Even that university (also a hospital!), offers "Shadow Days", but exludes Sonography!!! Being the neurotic type, I'm going nuts with this. I NEED to know whether this is something I can do...and most importantly, be good at. I have a million "what if's"...but predominantly I wonder if there's a chance that I won't ever be able to master the skill of recognizing anatomy during the exam.....that's IF I can even learn anatomy. (That's another concern). I haven't taken my A&P's yet...and I'm confident that I can learn the material long enough to pass tests, but I am concerned that I'll become overwhelmed with the AMOUNT of material...and that I'll have to remember that amount for forever!!! I fear it will discourage me from moving forward, (like if it's so difficult and I struggle with the basics, why bother?) I know that with a lot of professions you don't have to remember every detail you learned previously. However, I also know that a DMS needs to know A LOT of anatomy. My question here is am I expected to forever remember everything I will learn in A&P? I understand these are silly questions, but I just need to know what I'll be in for...before I make the commitment. Oh, also...I'm 5' 2", 110 lbs. That's a minor concern, however, perhaps it should be a major one? I don't know. Can anyone give me words of wisdom, encouragement, comfort, information? (Please don't purposely discourage me, for the sake of doing so. Some people on here I've seen are so synical.) THANK YOU!!

For me, this is will be a big commitment. I "wasted" a few years earning my AAS in Architecture (during which time I met my husband & had two babies)...all before doing my research and asking myself whether architecture was where I wanted my career to be. While I have some skills in that area, it's not what I want to do constantly, so I did not move on with it. (At that time my first husband, who I also have two children with had passed away. It was a year or two later that I jumped into architecture). Definitely, the least thought-out, hasty move I've ever made...in hindsight, I think I was just trying to quickly do something/anything..."if I earn a degree I'll get a better job"...still in autopilot-type mode. This time, my last time (with 4 young children...the younger two not even in school yet), I want to check and double check and be perfectly sure that I am capable of doing, and most importantly, will enjoy this career. I can't be a stay-at-home mom for forever (although I feel so blessed to have been able to do so). Our youngest will start K in 2 years and I'm able to "start over". I see that as a blessing & wonderful opporunity...something I can't afford to mess up this time. Thank you for anyone that can give me some insight!!!!

Mainly physicians in this forum, so you may get better answers at http://www.auntminnie.com/Forum/tt.aspx?forumid=7 (in the technologist section). So I assume you don't know anyone who has any connections to sonography... because that is how I would try and get an in (i.e. a friend of a friend of my mom's...). You could also see if you could shadow abdominal ultrasound... or you could try volunteering (stocking shelves, transfering patients) and try and make friends with the sonographers to develop an "in". You could also just try and set something up where you have coffee with someone from the department and ask them questions about their job. Ask them how they knew the job was for them or how/if they shadowed. This may relieve some of your anxiety. You may just have to bite the bullet based on what you have read about the job and maybe your own personal experience.

If you can learn the material to do well on the exams, then that is fine. Sure you may forget some of the stuff, but in real life you can look the stuff up you forget in books. The important stuff you will see every day and eventually you will know it very well. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

5'2'', 110 lbs? Congrats. Sounds like your in good shape. You will do better than the person who is 200lbs and 5'2''!

So I assume you don't know anyone who has any connections to sonography... because that is how I would try and get an in (i.e. a friend of a friend of my mom's...).

NO!...but soooo wish I did!

5'2'', 110 lbs? Congrats. Sounds like your in good shape. You will do better than the person who is 200lbs and 5'2''!

Good shape, no. Just a petite structure and try to limit junk. I thought this to be more of a disadvantage b/c I might not have the strength during an exam with an obese patient...having to press harder, I'd think.

Thank you. I didn't know exactly where to post this. I do want people with experience in the area to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can learn the material to do well on the exams, then that is fine. Sure you may forget some of the stuff, but in real life you can look the stuff up you forget in books. The important stuff you will see every day and eventually you will know it very well. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

And thank you for this. This is what I need to put my mind at ease. Even though becoming a DMS is not nearly as intense as medical school and becoming a doctor, I still have doubts that I'll be "smart" enough.

What is with the sonographer/tech questions lately? Is it always this way and I've just never noticed it?

Keep trying. Shadowing is vital to knowing if it's what you want. Your post is from a few months ago, so this might be too late, but hopefully it helps.

I'm a sonographer and yes, I need to know a lot of anatomy - normal and abnormal. You will also be taking a lot of physics in school and need to understand ultrasound physics - certainly to pass your boards, but also because it helps when scanning.

If you don't love anatomy and physiology and if you hate physics, it might not be a good fit.

If you enjoy talking to people and explaining things and educating people, it might not be a good fit. Many departments prefer their techs say nothing at all during the exam. If you are a chatty people person, perhaps look into social work or something more people-focused.

People are attracted to the money and the fact that the job seems fun. It doesn't seem as fun when you are arm-deep in a pannus at 3 in the morning.

Not trying to sound too pessimistic - I do for the most part enjoy my job. But make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Hope this helps.

Keep trying. Shadowing is vital to knowing if it's what you want. Your post is from a few months ago, so this might be too late, but hopefully it helps.

I'm a sonographer and yes, I need to know a lot of anatomy - normal and abnormal. You will also be taking a lot of physics in school and need to understand ultrasound physics - certainly to pass your boards, but also because it helps when scanning.

If you don't love anatomy and physiology and if you hate physics, it might not be a good fit.

If you enjoy talking to people and explaining things and educating people, it might not be a good fit. Many departments prefer their techs say nothing at all during the exam. If you are a chatty people person, perhaps look into social work or something more people-focused.

People are attracted to the money and the fact that the job seems fun. It doesn't seem as fun when you are arm-deep in a pannus at 3 in the morning.

Not trying to sound too pessimistic - I do for the most part enjoy my job. But make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply, and for being nice enough to pm me to let me know you did ; ) I am definitely trying to understand what I can before getting into it. I hate going into things blindly. Besides, I'd be wasting a lot of time & money since the main education your getting after a program like this is specifically sonography...so that's rather limiting, and I want to make sure I know everything I'm getting in to.

I'm definitely not a people-person, as far as being forced to have a conversation with someone about just stuff... however, that's because I don't know what to say and carry on the conversation, I don't know what to say next...it's very uncomfortable for me. But, I'm friendly, and nice to people, and I don't mind being the one to strike up a convo...more so with strangers, people at the grocery store, etc. I feel like it's different with strangers (or potential patients) because I'm not pressured to get into in depth conversations. It's just badda bing, badda boom. With potential future patients, I feel like it would be similar...you know what you need to say, you make them feel at ease, all the while being friendly. That's more of my thing. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again!

um, sorry?
This is a forum for physicians in or training to go into radiology. It's of course fine for you to post a question here, but that explains why you probably won't get a lot of responses on this forum (and why Moss made the comment he did). Try the Aunt Minnie forum specifically for techs.

This is a forum for physicians in or training to go into radiology. It's of course fine for you to post a question here, but that explains why you probably won't get a lot of responses on this forum (and why Moss made the comment he did). Try the Aunt Minnie forum specifically for techs.

*cough* hence the name "studentdoctor network" *cough*:laugh:

Last edited:
Inquire about the job market in your area. In the southeast, the market is flooded. I know a lot of techs who graduated 1-3 years ago and still have yet to find a job.