things an ER resident needs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acura

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! I'm sorry if this message seems inane but I have a friend who is graduating in a few months and will be starting his residency in Emergency Medicine. Rather than getting cliche photo frames or pens I was hoping to get him something practical. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Is there something that you needed to buy right before residency started? Specific ER palm programs?? Thank you so much!!

Smiles!

Members don't see this ad.

pepid but I dont think too many people use this but I heard it was the best one.

Frankly everything you need you prob already have. I would rec the EKG book by garcia.. Maybe others can be more helpful. ANother option is a nice pair of Danskos.

If you want to buy em a palm program, the pepid ED suite is great. I dont know anyone who has it who doesnt love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A gift certificate to amazon or some such... then he can get whatever he needs.

also heard pepid was great. I don't use the EKG by garcia. I used Real Intrep of EKG (i think). Its orange and the author's name is Dubin.

Disclaimer: I'm not an EM resident (yet).

Something I would love to recieve for a work-related gift would be one of the sweet penlights. I think they're LED or something and they are a) quite bright and b) don't die in 2 weeks unlike my $1.50 model with the diabetes drug-of-the-week on the side.

The good ones are like $40 so I'm too cheap to go buy one when all the freebies are floating around.

I second (or third, fourth, whatever) the idea of a PEPID subscription. I use it many times a day and love it. Plus, it's available on multiple platforms, including Blackberry.

Something I would love to recieve for a work-related gift would be one of the sweet penlights.

The only thing I can ever keep up with that isn't physically attached to my person (my Treo is in a case on my hip) is my stethescope. I can never keep up with penlights. I've seen some of our nurses with the LED lights that attache to your stethescope. That seems like it would work great.

Take care,
Jeff

also heard pepid was great. I don't use the EKG by garcia. I used Real Intrep of EKG (i think). Its orange and the author's name is Dubin.

I have dubin also but I dont think it is as useful as Garcia. Garcia has 3 levels which I think is helpful. Oh and dubin is a pedophile and if i knew that I wouldnt have bought his book.

3 month supply of Ritalin (or strattera, or whatever your choice).

I second (or third, fourth, whatever) the idea of a PEPID subscription. I use it many times a day and love it. Plus, it's available on multiple platforms, including Blackberry.

I also fourth or whatever the PEPID ED Suite subscription. I am a medical student still and I use it on ALL my rotations, not just EM. The other day, an EM resident was looking on at it jealously and I told him how to get it. :laugh:

Really, really, fabulous.

I have dubin also but I dont think it is as useful as Garcia. Garcia has 3 levels which I think is helpful. Oh and dubin is a pedophile and if i knew that I wouldnt have bought his book.

all i know i my school gave out dubin. Whom am I to complain when they offer a free copy of dubin. I just wasn't about to buy garcia. I know garcia has the multiple levels, but i think either one is acceptable. Does anyone use epocrates?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to use Epocrates, when it was free for me. Now I don't like paying for it, and I refuse to steal it.

Pepid looks nice, but it also costs a freaking ton, and anything that is $300 needs to be permanent for me. $140 a year could almost buy a new textbook. I've discovered that I use my PDA a lot less now than I used to, simply because there are so many computers for me to look things up on.
Thompson makes Clinical Xpert, which is free, but I find the drug database lacking.

3 month supply of Ritalin (or strattera, or whatever your choice).

haha....if i get him that, he'll give it right back to me, claiming i need it more

I also fourth or whatever the PEPID ED Suite subscription. I am a medical student still and I use it on ALL my rotations, not just EM. The other day, an EM resident was looking on at it jealously and I told him how to get it. :laugh:

Really, really, fabulous.

"how to get it"? are you implying for less than the 300 it normally costs?

Something I would love to recieve for a work-related gift would be one of the sweet penlights. I think they're LED or something and they are a) quite bright and b) don't die in 2 weeks unlike my $1.50 model with the diabetes drug-of-the-week on the side.

The good ones are like $40 so I'm too cheap to go buy one when all the freebies are floating around.

You could always walk around the ED wearing one of these
head_lamp.jpg

Is Dubin really a pedophile?

what's the title to the garcia book? can't find it on amazon using "garcia" and "ekg."

What do you guys use for reference/pocket books in the ICU/SICU?

I used to use Epocrates, when it was free for me. Now I don't like paying for it, and I refuse to steal it.

Pepid looks nice, but it also costs a freaking ton, and anything that is $300 needs to be permanent for me. $140 a year could almost buy a new textbook. I've discovered that I use my PDA a lot less now than I used to, simply because there are so many computers for me to look things up on.
Thompson makes Clinical Xpert, which is free, but I find the drug database lacking.

Epocrates is still free. What are you talking about?

My friend has that one; it seems great. I probably need automotive GPS worse than any other person on this forum. I can get lost anywhere!

The Mio 310x is the best ~$200 GPS out there. Plus it is easily hackable, and you can put TomTom or iGuidance on it if you want.

"how to get it"? are you implying for less than the 300 it normally costs?

eh? :confused: No, he just hadn't heard of it.

Also, it is $150/yr, $300 for 2 years. Expensive for a med student, but I figure I'll spring for for another year (r ask for it as a xmas present, etc), then use my residency education spending money, then be an attending and not care. I can't go back now! (I blame Foughtfyr, he brought it to my attention :mad: )

Kungfufishing Home Journal says Pepid is the Bombay, giving it an unprecedented kickass out of 10.

It isnt free, but in light of how frequently it comes in handy, it really isnt a bad deal. Whether or not you have that much (150 bucks) to spend for your buddy is another matter.

Who wrote that investment guide? This is the second time I've heard of it.

We're all going to eventually get what we need, so why not get something that you WANT? (and won't eventually buy for yourself)

Found another great toy to drool over the other day.. a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones.. :love: will run you about $350, but it's the coolest thing.. completely drowns out background noise (ie: airplane, car, bus, annoying consultants).

Anyone have any experience with these things?

We were required to read Dubin or Garcia for our clinical diagnosis and reasoning class. Both are useful.

I have a copy of ECGs for the emergency physician by Dr. Mattu. I am not in my clinical rotations yet but I thought that was a good book as well.

Before coming to med school I bought copies of Rosen's 5 minute consult, Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide 6th edition by Tintinalli, Atlas of Emergency Medicine by Knoop, An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine: Guide for Practitioners in the Emergency Department by Mahadevan.

Epocrates is still free. What are you talking about?

Epocrates is AWFUL and my ex boyfriend has problems every other month or so with the Pepid sub that I got him for his birthday last year. SO...I would really steer clear of anything too technical. The GPS is a pretty good idea, though. Or the Amazon gift card. I would choose either of those.

One thing that you could buy him, that I still walk around with as an attending, is Tarascon's Adult Emergency Medicine book. Its pocketsized and very useful (good toilet reading as well). I think its less than $20 or so. As a resident I carried around the Tarascon's Internal Medicine and Critical Care one, but its much less useful for me now.

Or you could buy him the "Pimp Protector," but its aimed at more M2s and M3s.

^Not a TOS violation.

It's "12-Lead ECG The Art of Interpretation" by Tomas Garcia & Neil Holtz

You guys forgot 2 things:

1. Monthly trips to Vegas

2. Copious amounts of hard liquor.

I just wanted to chime in to ask, is this where you got your screen name? Because I recognized it right off the bat.

[is such a nerd for knowing that]

We were required to read Dubin or Garcia for our clinical diagnosis and reasoning class. Both are useful.

When did they start "requiring" this? Dr. O'Brien who you'll have 3rd year will have you read Thaler's ECG book. He does not condone the use of Dubin because Dubin is a child molester. CDR is one of USF's famous useless classes, among many, unless things have changed I guess.

I have a copy of ECGs for the emergency physician by Dr. Mattu. I am not in my clinical rotations yet but I thought that was a good book as well.

Before coming to med school I bought copies of Rosen's 5 minute consult, Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide 6th edition by Tintinalli, Atlas of Emergency Medicine by Knoop, An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine: Guide for Practitioners in the Emergency Department by Mahadevan.

Holy man, this is a ton of money. I'll be a PGY 1 in a few months and all I have is Tintinalli, which I barely needed for any of my 4 EM rotations at all! In fact, I want to sell it and wait until I get an educational stipend from where ever I end up to get something more up to date.

Off topic, but I wonder if your class is as touchy feely as the class of 2008.

For the EM residents, "ECGs for the Emergency Physician" by Matu is easily the best "resident" level book. Dubin is more medical students.

Pepid is a fantastic resource and I still use it as an attending.
Also, the "Atlas of Emergency Medicine" and "Precedures in EM" by Roberts and Hedges are also must - haves.

When did they start "requiring" this? Dr. O'Brien who you'll have 3rd year will have you read Thaler's ECG book. He does not condone the use of Dubin because Dubin is a child molester. CDR is one of USF's famous useless classes, among many, unless things have changed I guess.

Holy man, this is a ton of money. I'll be a PGY 1 in a few months and all I have is Tintinalli, which I barely needed for any of my 4 EM rotations at all! In fact, I want to sell it and wait until I get an educational stipend from where ever I end up to get something more up to date.

Off topic, but I wonder if your class is as touchy feely as the class of 2008.

Dr. Anoff and Dr. Guerra took over the Clinical Diagnosis and Reasoning Class after Dr. Wathington took a job at the FL DOH (I think). So our class has been very different from the classes years past. They required either Thaler and suggested Dubin or Garcia as an alternative as many programs use his text. I misspoke when I said those texts were required.

I don't think anyone has accused our class of being touchy feely. LOL!!:laugh:

One thing that you could buy him, that I still walk around with as an attending, is Tarascon's Adult Emergency Medicine book. Its pocketsized and very useful (good toilet reading as well). I think its less than $20 or so. As a resident I carried around the Tarascon's Internal Medicine and Critical Care one, but its much less useful for me now.

Or you could buy him the "Pimp Protector," but its aimed at more M2s and M3s.

^Not a TOS violation.
Tell him to buy a copy of the "Resident Pocket Guide to Mechanical Ventilation and CCM" which will be available later this year.

^Possibly a TOS violation.

yeah..maybe I'm weird, but I would just love money (considering how much in debt I've put myself in this year!), or a gift card to amazon, or even someplace like bed, bath and beyond or something along those lines...since many of us will be moving and all..