Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nuclear stress is about 90% sensitive for ACS, stress echo is about 80% sensitive. So yeah, stress testing performs rather poorly as a rule out test.I hear what you are getting at. I tell patients regularly that there is "zero risk tolerance in our society by patients, and by physicians, for missing heart attacks. That's why we do so much testing and we admit so many people, even though the vast majority end up being OK."
If I send someone home with (or had) chest pain it usually under very narrow parameters
- no chest pain in the ED
- serial enzymes are normal / negative / not going up
- serial EKGs are unchanged from prior and not ischemic
- on the youngish side
I especially like it if I have a recent cath report too so I have an understanding of their coronary anatomy.
I tell patients at the beginning that they are going go be in the ED for 4-5 hours.
I'm not quite as conservative as you, I do send some some people who had chest pain. I guess one difference is that I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the diagnosis is. If they have one of the 7-8 diagnoses of chest pain that are emergencies, then I'll treat it. But I think that's a minor difference.
The ultimate problem is, and I'm sure there are EBM scholars here that can elucidate this in better detail than my memory. Even negative stress testing is, at best, like 90-95% sens/spec for symptomatic coronary lesions. So if they are admitted and discharged with negative stress testing, it is still possible they will have a MACE 30 days later.