things to include on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodle_doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a redundant topic somewhere given the size of the forums so apologies in advance:

since we're all working on fellowships apps at the moment this has been a topic of discussion with my classmates recently, so I'm curious for some more knowledgeable opinions - is it worth it to include presentations you've done as part of "routine" work in residency (e.g. journal clubs, case presentations at morning report, etc.) on a fellowship application? or is that veering too much into fluff territory?

I'm inclined to think it's not noteworthy as surely most residents out there have presented something minor like this within their program in some capacity, but some faculty at my hospital encourage including all of your minor presentations as accomplishments.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personal opinion (I included everything when I applied, but have since looked at fellowship applications from the other side):

If you have nothing else, list them. If you have stuff that wasn't part of routine residency stuff (I participated in a specialty-specific journal club and was the only resident to do so at my institution), that may be worth listing. If you have stuff more on a community scale (e.g. Grand Rounds, presentation to a residency program other than your own), list that. If you gave a recurring lecture (I gave the endocrine lecture to the third year medical students every block), list that. If you have all of those things, maybe don't include the case conferences and journal club presentations. It makes the more important accomplishments get lost in the weeds and the ERAS CV is not like a typical CV in that each activity takes up about 1/5 of a page, rather than a couple lines. So if I'm flipping through 5 pages on your CV that are full of one-off lectures you gave as a requirement of your residency, I'm probably gonna miss the stuff you actually care about.

Others may have a different opinion :)