Things to look for in a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am paring down the list of places where I have been offered a position next year. Just wondering, those of you already out of residency or currently interviewing for position: what are some things about your job you really like and what are some things you would change if you could? I know the answers will be different for different people, but I am curious to hear what hindsight-advice anyone care to share when considering derm positions. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am paring down the list of places where I have been offered a position next year. Just wondering, those of you already out of residency or currently interviewing for position: what are some things about your job you really like and what are some things you would change if you could? I know the answers will be different for different people, but I am curious to hear what hindsight-advice anyone care to share when considering derm positions. Thanks...

Things to watch out for:

- If you are pursuing a salary structure that is straight productivity, will you be busy right away? If not, may want to consider a position with a base salary

- Schedule: 4 days versus 5?

- How many rooms do you work out of and how many support staff do you have? This seems like a nitpicky thing but you won't want to be the doc running out of 1-2 rooms with 1-2 MAs particularly if you are very busy. How well trained are the MAs or do you have to train them yourself?

- Benefits: I was surprised to see how much this varied from position to position. Be sure to ask

- Opportunity for cosmetics / Mohs / path / peds / complex medical derm / research / teaching / etc: If there's a particular area of dermatology you are leaning towards, make sure the practice can offer it to you and can offer it to you in the volume that you desire

- NPs / PAs: Are you comfortable overseeing them? Does your practice make you do this?

- Average number of patients seen per day/per hour. I've heard of some practices actually employing Press-Ganey surveys and evaluating their providers much like providers in an Emergency Department would be monitored. Be aware that as your average number of patients seen/day arises, those satisfaction scores tend to drop (and hopefully your pay isn't linked to those surveys)

- Inpatient consults?

- Call schedule

- Who do they refer to for Mohs? For path? If you trained in the area or are familiar with those physicians/labs, do you feel comfortable with those referral patterns?

If you're going private, try to predict how much autonomy you want. This differs in different practice structures.

For instance, if your're partnered up with a few derms, it may be pretty easy to get a new laser. If you're in a multi specialty group, you may have to wait depending on beuracracy...if the Ortho guys/gals are bringing in the bucks, the'll have first crack at a new toy before you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for those who have already posted. I find this type of information very helpful. I hope we can keep this thread active, especially as the third years start to interview for jobs.