-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Things you wish you knew...
Started by alohacat319
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One good piece of advice I got was that you just won't know everything they throw at you. During orientation, we were actually told to shoot for knowing only 70% of the material. Don't slack or anything, but something to keep in mind.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh sweet thanks! I'll look at that! I tried searching but didn't use the right wording!
I'm just curious for those of you in vet school or those who have graduated, what are some things you wish you knew before your first day of vet school? Whether you learned them the hard way or advice someone else gave you, I'd love to hear them!
This too shall pass.
Seriously. I didn't like vet school, and couldn't wait for it to be over. Vet school for me was just a means to an end.
1st semester of 1st year of DVM program. Wish I'd:
1. Take anatomy before vet school.
1. Take anatomy before vet school.
It really doesn't help much. I did take anatomy before vet school. Was not even close to anatomy in vet school1st semester of 1st year of DVM program. Wish I'd:
1. Take anatomy before vet school.
It really doesn't help much. I did take anatomy before vet school. Was not even close to anatomy in vet school
This.
I don't know, I would say it depends on your school. I found my undergrad anatomy courses to be helpful to a point in vet school anatomy. They were taught by a vet who is the head of the pre-vet department there so maybe that helped?
Vet school anatomy was certainly harder though.
Vet school anatomy was certainly harder though.mine was taught by a vet, too. Still not nearly in depth enough to be super helpful at my vet schoolI don't know, I would say it depends on your school. I found my undergrad anatomy courses to be helpful to a point in vet school anatomy. They were taught by a vet who is the head of the pre-vet department there so maybe that helped?Vet school anatomy was certainly harder though.
Same. If anything, it helped me learn how to dissect more carefully. Those in my class who hadn't dissected before had to learn how to dissect and not be so scalpel-happy. I couldn't tell you too much about the cat/shark/lamprey I dissected now, but sometimes a few things (aka just the words) are familiar during veterinary school anatomy.It really doesn't help much. I did take anatomy before vet school. Was not even close to anatomy in vet school
mine was taught by a vet, too. Still not nearly in depth enough to be super helpful at my vet school
I'm gonna say it definitely depends on the course and professor. I hear your opinion often, so a lot of them may not be much help, but there are some diamonds in the rough. Mine was taught by instructors who also taught anatomy to DVM students, and was almost as comprehensive in the dissection and exams. One of, if not the most difficult, undergrad classes I took and a huge benefit for vet school anatomy (because I'd basically done it all before!).
As for things I wish I knew, if I'll pass this medicine course

I think it also depends on how your vet school anatomy class is set up.I'm gonna say it definitely depends on the course and professor. I hear your opinion often, so a lot of them may not be much help, but there are some diamonds in the rough. Mine was taught by instructors who also taught anatomy to DVM students, and was almost as comprehensive in the dissection and exams. One of, if not the most difficult, undergrad classes I took and a huge benefit for vet school anatomy (because I'd basically done it all before!).
As for things I wish I knew, if I'll pass this medicine course![]()
Even though the human anatomy I took in undergrad hasn't helped me too much in vet school, I still wish I'd taken physiology in undergrad because I have NO basic knowledge there, and it's been showing. 😛 From what my classmates who did take undergrad physiology have expressed, it sounds like it's a lot like anatomy in that the undergrad class is nowhere near as challenging as the course in vet school to really count as a "head start," but at least they knew what an action potential was before vet school...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I had to choose, physiology >>>>>>anatomy in terms of how much having basic knowledge will help you through all of vet school and beyond.Even though the human anatomy I took in undergrad hasn't helped me too much in vet school, I still wish I'd taken physiology in undergrad because I have NO basic knowledge there, and it's been showing. 😛 My classmates who did take undergrad physiology sort of echo what others have said about undergrad anatomy not really giving you much of an advantage, but at least they knew what an action potential was before vet school...
Even though the human anatomy I took in undergrad hasn't helped me too much in vet school, I still wish I'd taken physiology in undergrad because I have NO basic knowledge there, and it's been showing. 😛 From what my classmates who did take undergrad physiology have expressed, it sounds like it's a lot like anatomy in that the undergrad class is nowhere near as challenging as the course in vet school to really count as a "head start," but at least they knew what an action potential was before vet school...
Action potential should have been covered in other undergrad pre-reqs. I think I had them pounded into my head in at least 3-4 classes.
At my school, there is only Anatomy paired with physiology, and not seperate. There's a Vet Tech A&P that is supposed to be killer and they actually recommend not taking a full course load with it. It doesn't fit into my schedule anyways. Action potential was discussed in my intro bios and in cell biology. Sigh. I wish we had a better variety of upper level biology courses 🙁
My undergrad histology class is really helping me! Oh and cellular biology. A well rounded science grouping would be the best I think!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K