Things you would attend at lunch if they didn't have free food?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you spend your lunch hour discussing if there's no free food?

• birth control- morning after pill, pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions for the pill, etc

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • breast cancer/cervical cancer

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • postpartum depression

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • why women don't get to the top of the career ladder as often as men do

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • eating disorders

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • domestic violence

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • differences in the treatment of pain in med and women

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I'm a woman and I wouldn't spend my lunch hour going any of them

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I'm a man and I wouldn't spend my lunch hour going to any of them

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

Darth Asclepius

Dark Lord of the Sith
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm working on getting some discussion forums together for the women's association at my school next year. We don't have tons of money for this stuff, so it would likely be a bring your own lunch kind of thing. The problem is that having something at lunch time with no free food isn't likely to get a great turnout. We'll probably provide some cookies or cake or something, but no free meal. The idea is that we'll have one or two speakers come in and talk briefly about the topic and then have a group discussion. Which topics would you be interested enough to attend if you had to bring your own lunch? It is for the women's association, but guys are encouraged to come too. Any other topic suggestions welcome :D Thanks for your help!

FYI- if you're wondering why they're missing from the list, we'll be actually funding meals for meetings about having a family and being a physician and fields in which women have traditionally been underrepresented, and maybe a discussion on abortion.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have a hard time getting women to come for one of those talks, but I doubt that you can get male med students to come for one of those topics (sorry, but it is true). To get male med students to come in, try to have a more mixed topic-one that involves men and women. ie the last one on the list. Then, bake some brownies and advertise them heavily. If I saw brownies + a cool topic like that, I would convince my friends to go for the brownies. The brownies of course would be an excuse to attend a talk about something that would interest us...

Good luck

Can you make the lunches pot luck? That might encourage more people to show up since there will be food and has the benifit of not costing the club money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darth Asclepius said:
Hey everyone. I'm working on getting some discussion forums together for the women's association at my school next year. We don't have tons of money for this stuff, so it would likely be a bring your own lunch kind of thing. The problem is that having something at lunch time with no free food isn't likely to get a great turnout. We'll probably provide some cookies or cake or something, but no free meal. The idea is that we'll have one or two speakers come in and talk briefly about the topic and then have a group discussion. Which topics would you be interested enough to attend if you had to bring your own lunch? It is for the women's association, but guys are encouraged to come too. Any other topic suggestions welcome :D Thanks for your help!

FYI- if you're wondering why they're missing from the list, we'll be actually funding meals for meetings about having a family and being a physician and fields in which women have traditionally been underrepresented, and maybe a discussion on abortion.

Drinks or sweets should be fine, but you should also check with your school about sponsorship. What a lot of people do at my school is petition to start a student run course to make up for deficits they perceive in the curriculum. These are funded, so you should look into this option.

Also, I think you should add ovarian cancer, the rising incidence of smoking and cancer/heart disease in women, discussion of career choices for females and why certain field are over/underrepresented and maybe even a history of women in medicine and abortion issues

Thanks for the responses. This is very helpful :)