Thinking about becoming a pharmacist but...

Started by Cronus88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cronus88

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a non-science undergrad degree (philosophy) and have taken a handful of science and math courses my freshman year when I used to be computer science but not much more than that.

How would I go about becoming a pharmacist, because I've been thinking about it lately? I'm not concerned about whether or not I can mentally do the science, as philosophy has made my critical thinking skills pro, I can study just about anything and understand it after studying philosophy. Ideally, I would just become a prof. of philosophy but I heard it would be really hard to find a job and the pay isn't even that great for professors.

So can someone give me a quick bullet point rundown of the steps from beginning to end for someone in my position?
 
I have a non-science undergrad degree (philosophy) and have taken a handful of science and math courses my freshman year when I used to be computer science but not much more than that.

How would I go about becoming a pharmacist, because I've been thinking about it lately? I'm not concerned about whether or not I can mentally do the science, as philosophy has made my critical thinking skills pro, I can study just about anything and understand it after studying philosophy. Ideally, I would just become a prof. of philosophy but I heard it would be really hard to find a job and the pay isn't even that great for professors.

So can someone give me a quick bullet point rundown of the steps from beginning to end for someone in my position?

Refer to the stickied threads on the requirements and application process.
 
The sticky will definitely help you here.

Also, don't think about becoming a pharmacist just because you heard somewhere that as soon as you graduate you'll be paid 200 grand a year and will be given a BMW 3-series as a bonus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The sticky will definitely help you here.

Also, don't think about becoming a pharmacist just because you heard somewhere that as soon as you graduate you'll be paid 200 grand a year and will be given a BMW 3-series as a bonus.

Why not? Sounds like a great reason to me.
 
If it sounds great to you then you should not be anywhere in the health care field. None whatsoever.

You will get people killed one day.

lol Just because job security and salary is a partial motivator doesn't automatically make me incompetent or immoral. Even at jobs that I've had 100% no interest in in the past, I still performed everything correctly and to the best of my ability.

Do you realize the sheer number of students in the medical field with absolutely no interest or true passion in what they are doing? Not to stereotype, but they're usually minorities whose family came from a third world country. They have just been pushed by their parents to earn a high salary, or get a respectful job because everyone else in the fam was a doctor or whatever silly reasons they justify it with. I'm sure some of these poor students actually make it through. And I'm sure they're not out there making mistakes left and right killing people. They are just not as passionate about their job as some others might be.
 
lol Just because job security and salary is a partial motivator doesn't automatically make me incompetent or immoral. Even at jobs that I've had 100% no interest in in the past, I still performed everything correctly and to the best of my ability.

Do you realize the sheer number of students in the medical field with absolutely no interest or true passion in what they are doing? Not to stereotype, but they're usually minorities whose family came from a third world country. They have just been pushed by their parents to earn a high salary, or get a respectful job because everyone else in the fam was a doctor or whatever silly reasons they justify it with. I'm sure some of these poor students actually make it through. And I'm sure they're not out there making mistakes left and right killing people. They are just not as passionate about their job as some others might be.

Your prior comment had little to no indication whatsoever about job security. If anything, it sounded selfish and a bit heartless if you ask me.

However, I do agree with you that most people, not just medical students or minorities actually choose careers that they do not feel strongly about. You are right that the majority of them choose the profession mainly for the high monetary return. Personally, I feel that is the worst-life decision someone can make (assuming that the individual has the potential to strive for something he/she passionately feels about). Since the chosen career path will be something that you will potentially do for decades to come, your life will be a miserable journey. Furthermore, you commented that you usually give it 100% of your ability even doing a job that you do not like. This is only a short-term responsibility only for the same reasons as mentioned.

It is not to scrutinize you here, but I just wanted to make the general statement that entering any health care profession should not be mainly about the monetary return. It should be about following one's passion.
 
Your prior comment had little to no indication whatsoever about job security. If anything, it sounded selfish and a bit heartless if you ask me.

However, I do agree with you that most people, not just medical students or minorities actually choose careers that they do not feel strongly about. You are right that the majority of them choose the profession mainly for the high monetary return. Personally, I feel that is the worst-life decision someone can make (assuming that the individual has the potential to strive for something he/she passionately feels about). Since the chosen career path will be something that you will potentially do for decades to come, your life will be a miserable journey. Furthermore, you commented that you usually give it 100% of your ability even doing a job that you do not like. This is only a short-term responsibility only for the same reasons as mentioned.

It is not to scrutinize you here, but I just wanted to make the general statement that entering any health care profession should not be mainly about the monetary return. It should be about following one's passion.

Yeah, I pretty much completely agree with your main point. All I was saying in all that mess was simply that it is OK that one is partially motivated by money, but what I didn't state is that I also think there should be some greater motivation that is related to the field. 🙂

Also, my comment about me working hard was not meant to imply that if I did enter the medical field, that I would hate my job but be able to push through it anyways. Rather, I think I was trying to say that it is at least possible for somebody to do a job solely for the money or benefits, however, the more I think about that, the less plausible it seems. Especially in the medical field where you could be doing that for the rest of your life.
 
Yeah, I pretty much completely agree with your main point. All I was saying in all that mess was simply that it is OK that one is partially motivated by money, but what I didn't state is that I also think there should be some greater motivation that is related to the field. 🙂

Also, my comment about me working hard was not meant to imply that if I did enter the medical field, that I would hate my job but be able to push through it anyways. Rather, I think I was trying to say that it is at least possible for somebody to do a job solely for the money or benefits, however, the more I think about that, the less plausible it seems. Especially in the medical field where you could be doing that for the rest of your life.

That is not implausible at all. It is more than just possible. Everyone works for money. If you enjoy your job on top of that - great. This idea of doing what you love puzzles me. Work is work. Love your family, love your life/hobbies, but love your work? I think that is asking too much. You shouldn't hate your job ether - it's work. Just do your job and find other things to love.
 
That is not implausible at all. It is more than just possible. Everyone works for money. If you enjoy your job on top of that - great. This idea of doing what you love puzzles me. Work is work. Love your family, love your life/hobbies, but love your work? I think that is asking too much. You shouldn't hate your job ether - it's work. Just do your job and find other things to love.

I gotta agree with owl and cronus. People are so quick to jump to the cliche notion of "do what you love, it's not about the money". Everyone has some financial consideration of the field they are getting into, especially if you're going to be in school for another half of a decade or so. You want a return on that investment. The problem is, people often consider extremes. Either you aren't allowed to be financially conscious or motivated to some extent and not feel "ok" but not excited about your job, or you are just doing it for the payday. There's plenty of people who are in a professional field that they enjoy, but there's also a large number of those who are not and that's just reality. Considering people immoral or selfish for just considering money as a factor is borderline ignorant. Not everyone falls under the category of becoming professionals and buying the biggest houses and nicest cars; that's an extreme. When you get out with debt and have a possible family to support, you need be practical.
 
I gotta agree with owl and cronus. People are so quick to jump to the cliche notion of "do what you love, it's not about the money". Everyone has some financial consideration of the field they are getting into, especially if you're going to be in school for another half of a decade or so. You want a return on that investment. The problem is, people often consider extremes. Either you aren't allowed to be financially conscious or motivated to some extent and not feel "ok" but not excited about your job, or you are just doing it for the payday. There's plenty of people who are in a professional field that they enjoy, but there's also a large number of those who are not and that's just reality. Considering people immoral or selfish for just considering money as a factor is borderline ignorant. Not everyone falls under the category of becoming professionals and buying the biggest houses and nicest cars; that's an extreme. When you get out with debt and have a possible family to support, you need be practical.

I agree. Everyone always has goes to extremes to make a point instead of being practical. I dare you to say you don't like having a strict dress code. Anyone defending it will make it sound like all you want to do is wear flip flops, pajamas and budwesier t-shirts with holes in it to class.
 
Heres a little something from my psyc class book that might help you out. "Some people work to make money,but the work itself is not a positive and fulfilling activity. Others view their work as a career. Their present position may not be ideal, but it is at least a rung on a ladder leading to increasingly better positions. The third group views their work as a calling. For them, work is a fulfilling and socially useful activity. Of all these groups, those who see their work as a calling report the highest satisfaction with their work and their lives."

But all psychology aside the way I see it ones spends the vast majority of their life working. No amount of vacations,time off, or toys that you buy is going to change that fact. And in light of that one might as well get into something that they truly enjoy even if it isn't the best paying or most secure job in the world. Or if they can not find a job that fits exactly what they like to do then at least get into a job that untilizes skills that they are good at and has aspects to it that they do enjoy. Do what you enjoy and at some point money will fallow. and if it does not then who cares? Because at least you will be enjoying yourself.
 
Do what you enjoy and at some point money will fallow. and if it does not then who cares? Because at least you will be enjoying yourself.

I disagree with this, but instead of constructive debate I will insult your grammar instead. I learned this from sdn. :meanie:
 
I disagree with this, but instead of constructive debate I will insult your grammar instead. I learned this from sdn. :meanie:

Granted I was a little strong their as money does matter to some extent, especially when one has a family to consider, but the point of my post still stands. Money and lifestyle(time off the job to pursue other interest) can only compensate for so much. At the end of the day you still spend most of your life at work and if you have a choice you might as well work at something you truly enjoy. 🙂

And constructive debates are fun and way for us to learn so go ahead and enlighten me if you want ^^
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why not? Sounds like a great reason to me.

I think P4Sci wasn't saying that that was a bad reason. If you have been doing your research you should know that pharmacy no longer offers sign on bonuses or BMWs. The salary is declining and very few jobs are available, so the people going into pharmacy for money and job security will be very diasppointed b/c there are none.
 
I think P4Sci wasn't saying that that was a bad reason. If you have been doing your research you should know that pharmacy no longer offers sign on bonuses or BMWs. The salary is declining and very few jobs are available, so the people going into pharmacy for money and job security will be very diasppointed b/c there are none.

Don't let anyone scare you off from pharmacy, they're just mad new schools are opening up- GET OVER IT, SUCH IS LIFE. New schools will always open up! I've never met a pharmacist who makes under 100k. I have asked if they know any of their classmates who couldn't find a job and the answer was no and they all feel secure in their positions. Most pre pharmacy students, med, dental and basically students in general always have the BIGGEST opinions and they're not even in the career yet. Then you got the cynical practionaire who wants everyone else to stop pursuing his job to make life easier for him. People always act like there's better things out there, but if pharmacy salaries dropped to teacher levels, lets say 35K noone would go into 100K+ debt for pharmacy school. Well nobody would except everyone on here who says arent in it for the money. Yeah right. Pharmacy is defintely a great choice. We're in a recession, deal with it. I think everyone should go work at a 10 dollar an hour job full time and have fun supporting yourself and a family.
 
Don't let anyone scare you off from pharmacy, they're just mad new schools are opening up- GET OVER IT, SUCH IS LIFE. New schools will always open up! I've never met a pharmacist who makes under 100k. I have asked if they know any of their classmates who couldn't find a job and the answer was no and they all feel secure in their positions. Most pre pharmacy students, med, dental and basically students in general always have the BIGGEST opinions and they're not even in the career yet. Then you got the cynical practionaire who wants everyone else to stop pursuing his job to make life easier for him. People always act like there's better things out there, but if pharmacy salaries dropped to teacher levels, lets say 35K noone would go into 100K+ debt for pharmacy school. Well nobody would except everyone on here who says arent in it for the money. Yeah right. Pharmacy is defintely a great choice. We're in a recession, deal with it. I think everyone should go work at a 10 dollar an hour job full time and have fun supporting yourself and a family.


We just got a new pharmacist at my hospital. Nice guy. Anyway he graduated in May and was complaining about the job market, Yikes, I thought to myself. Maybe there is something to this whole story. Then I find out the hospital is his second job, the first being Walgreens. He didn't apply to CVS as he had experience there and didn't care for it.

So here we have someone who graduated in May, has two jobs in October (I don't know when exactly he got licenced), excluded a major chain he wasn't interested in, and is still complaining about the job market. I really like him though, nice guy.

I can only imagine how stressful it must be right after graduation trying to find your first pharmacist job, but yikes! That's really good, IMO.
 
I think P4Sci wasn't saying that that was a bad reason. If you have been doing your research you should know that pharmacy no longer offers sign on bonuses or BMWs. The salary is declining and very few jobs are available, so the people going into pharmacy for money and job security will be very diasppointed b/c there are none.

That's exactly what I was saying.

Thanks SHC 🙂
 
The entire situation is overblown especially here on SDN where people come to complain (more or less).

yeah and people forget that we were/are in the period of recession where everyone's got it bad. For ex you go on opt forum and you see the same bitchin'. Ok, maybe the job prospect for pharmacy weren't as great as they were years ago ill give them that. But then again, I could say that it was easier for me to get a job at mcdonalds a few years ago also.
 
I agree. Everyone always has goes to extremes to make a point instead of being practical. I dare you to say you don't like having a strict dress code. Anyone defending it will make it sound like all you want to do is wear flip flops, pajamas and budwesier t-shirts with holes in it to class.

lol i have a dress code where I'm at. I wish i can wear tshirts with holes 🙂
 
Your prior comment had little to no indication whatsoever about job security. If anything, it sounded selfish and a bit heartless if you ask me.

However, I do agree with you that most people, not just medical students or minorities actually choose careers that they do not feel strongly about. You are right that the majority of them choose the profession mainly for the high monetary return. Personally, I feel that is the worst-life decision someone can make (assuming that the individual has the potential to strive for something he/she passionately feels about). Since the chosen career path will be something that you will potentially do for decades to come, your life will be a miserable journey. Furthermore, you commented that you usually give it 100% of your ability even doing a job that you do not like. This is only a short-term responsibility only for the same reasons as mentioned.

It is not to scrutinize you here, but I just wanted to make the general statement that entering any health care profession should not be mainly about the monetary return. It should be about following one's passion.

I totally agree with you. If a person chooses a career that he/she does not like or just going into it bc of the financial security...that person is going to have a miserable life. On top of that not everyone can do pharmacy, it is not as easy as it sound. Esp. retail....so if you don't like the profession then you are going to be miserable, bittered and stressed out all the time. Also, pharmacy school is not easy and it cost a lot...so if your motivation is 200G/yr and BMW as a signing bonus...then chances are in the middle of school you will feel like it is not worth it and leave (bc pharm school is extremely difficult and if you are passionate about the career then you will make it through just fine).
 
Each individual has multiple motivators. So, I agree with everyone's point from certain angles.
 
yeah and people forget that we were/are in the period of recession where everyone's got it bad. For ex you go on opt forum and you see the same bitchin'. Ok, maybe the job prospect for pharmacy weren't as great as they were years ago ill give them that. But then again, I could say that it was easier for me to get a job at mcdonalds a few years ago also.

Yes, I agree; however, the rebuttal here is that for most jobs, like McDonald's employees, no one is incurring $100,000+ of debt to become qualified for.

That said, I think the scarcity of jobs is overblown. OK, so you have to work in less-than-awesome conditions while you cut your teeth for 5 years working PRN and crappy hours. That's life, as long as you love what you do, and you make enough money so that you're not filing for TANF (you won't be), it won't matter.

When I'm walking the pt floors at the hospital doing smoking cessation counseling or helping an ESL pt figure out how to ascertain how many refills s/he has, I am thoroughly satisfied, and would gladly take the opportunity to do this job even if I had to work 4 hours at 3 different places every day in order to make it work.

Some people are determined and ambitious, and some people aren't. That's why there's a top half and a bottom half to everything, including pharmacy school classes and employees. From my perspective, it seems like the most concerned are also the least capable and flexible. Perhaps there's a correlation there.