Thinking about changing major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvdrv31

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am a 1st semester junior and thinking about switching my major from business to economics. I entered the Business school this semester and I don't really like it. i took some econ classes freshman and sophomore year and decided that b-school major would be nice.

how would adcoms view this major change during junior year? hopefully it won't have any effect.

Members don't see this ad.

GREAT idea...I graduated with a major in business and wish I had changed to econ. I have been told (and feel) econ is a better major because of the more libral approach, and is much more encompassing (e.g. tying social concerns to econ issues). But as long as you do well(gpa) in business it will not hurt your admissions chances. Changing to econ is a great question for the admissions committee. Why did you change? "well, my good sir, I felt my business classes were tailored to current corporate approaches to financial and personnel management. I feel the study of general economics gives me a broader view of how a country's economy is tied to its social views and conditions. For example...." If you get the question at interviews it will be one less unknown!

You're going between two very, very similiar social science majors. I honestly don't think it would affect med school admission committees in the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all a matter of personal preference. I'd love to have gotten a degree in Econ. I find it to be a fascinating subject. Your decision won't affect med school admissions, unless pursuing the Econ degree will delay graduation. I'd go for it, makes for great conversation in an interview when you're genuinely excited about your major.

Go ahead and change majors. If you like it more, you'll do better grade-wise anyway. Adcomms won't care. If anything, it'll just be a nice conversation topic.

By the way, I changed my major from Poli Sci to biology when I was only 3 classes away from a Poli Sci degree! I had grown to hate my poli sci major, and never did finish it. So far, this has never come up in a bad way in my interviews.

do what makes you happy and don't worry about what admissions committees think.