Thinking about dropping my psychology minor. Is there ANY downside to this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotADoctor1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three semesters left of my biology major, and I was planning on also doing a psychology minor mostly because I found the subject matter very interesting. I now realize that taking the minor may cause me to overextend myself and cause my GPA to suffer. If I were to drop the minor, I would go from 20, 19, and 17 credits per semester to 13, 13, and 14. Basically, I would go from a moderately rigorous class schedule to a stupidly easy one. I know that medical schools really don't care about minors, so I'm not worried about that. I also know that the chances of me keeping a high GPA with an easier schedule are much higher. I also know that the time I'll be able to dedicate to doing my extracurriculars at a high level and taking care of my own health will be much greater with an easier schedule. The only real downside I can see is that I won't get to learn psychology as in-depth as I'd like to (and maybe be a little less prepared for the P/S section of the MCAT). Are there any downsides I'm not considering here? Will the drop in academic rigor count against me in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect, life will be much easier now. Thank you