Quantcast

thinking about German medical school - don't know any German

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rico_suave

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Ok so I am a native English speaker, non-US and non-EU citizen and thinking about studying medicine in Germany for next fall 2018. I have a Bachelors degree from a US university and finished 2 years of medical school in the US but had to withdraw due to personal and financial reasons.

Anyhoos I am totally new to the german language. literally only started duolingo a week ago but i am determined to SOMEHOW get up to C1 with medical terminology by the time i apply next year (am I crazy?). I heard that in order to take the language test one must show 1000 hours of study so i plan to possibly go to a language school in germany in a few weeks.

Ok, so i need some feedback. With my Bachelors (GPA 3.82) and some medical school would I be able to get in? would the incomplete med school be seen as a negative? and is it possible with intense intense study to get up to the fluency level i need for German medical school? and any tips for that.

thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

PageDrT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
C1 is surreal to me, B2 yeah sure but C1? That’s insane

Animalcules

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a native English speaker, non-US and non-EU citizen and thinking about studying medicine in Germany for next fall 2018. I have a Bachelors degree from a US university and finished 2 years of medical school in the US but had to withdraw due to personal and financial reasons.

Anyhoos I am totally new to the german language. literally only started duolingo a week ago but i am determined to SOMEHOW get up to C1 with medical terminology by the time i apply next year (am I crazy?). I heard that in order to take the language test one must show 1000 hours of study so i plan to possibly go to a language school in germany in a few weeks.

Ok, so i need some feedback. With my Bachelors (GPA 3.82) and some medical school would I be able to get in? would the incomplete med school be seen as a negative? and is it possible with intense intense study to get up to the fluency level i need for German medical school? and any tips for that.

thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

I do not think this is a feasible timeline. If you flew to Germany right now and immersed yourself fully for a year forcing yourself to speak German at every opportunity, took classes, then maybe you would be conversational by the time you apply. It will be a very different ball game sitting in lectures and talking to patients with various German accents on the wards (you would want to go to a part of Germany where most people speak with very little accent). A lot in medicine is the same, so learning medical German is maybe less of a problem. I don't think your incomplete med school in the US would keep you, but I do not see you succeed without having a full grasp of the language.

rico_suave

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Eeek! Ok. I knew I was being a bit insane trying to reach such a big goal in such a short period of time. Plus I know medical school is hard in my native language, far less, me trying to keep up in a new one.

But thanks so much for the feedback!