Thinking about going into Pharmacy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ged0001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well this is a really confusing time for me in my life, and I am trying to make some decisions to better my future. Any help that you people could offer would help me out a lot.

I recently transfered to San Diego State University with a major in Kinesiology. I was going to graduate just with that, as it is a distinct interest of mine, but when i started to look into the potential job market and salary for those with that degree, i almost had a heart attack.

The truth is, i need to be making more money. I have the strong potential of taking 6 core science classes on top of my major (2 chem's, 2 physics, 2 bio's) and applying to PT school to earn my DPT. Physical therapy is very interesting to me, but they also do not make a lot of money at all. Average salary of 65k a year for all that school! It seems ridiculous! What is the relative difficulty of pharmacy school to pt school?

Recently I started looking into becoming a pharmacist and i had several questions about getting into the job. How much backtracking would i need to do in my current schooling to get into a pharmacy school? I dont have very many science classes under my belt so i assume i would need to take all of those. What do pharmacy schools require for admission? Also, i am not the best at chemistry/math etc but i can do well in them. If these subjects are not my strong points or passions is being a pharmacist the wrong professions for me?

As of right now, the main thing that is attracting me to this field is the pay. I am a very money motivated individual, but i want to make sure i am not getting into a profession that will bore me.

I am sorry if this sounds rambling or incoherent, I am just really stressed about what im going to do with my life! Thanks and have a great day.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, i am not the best at chemistry/math etc but i can do well in them. If these subjects are not my strong points or passions is being a pharmacist the wrong professions for me?

Chemistry is very important in pharmacy. You pretty much need to know it inside and out like how will a certain drug react with the patient. If it's not your best subject, i would recommend that you work twice as hard at it.

Chemistry is important to pharmacy... and if it is not a subject you particularly enjoy, you might not enjoy the field. I would recommend shadowing a pharmacist to see if it appeals to you. However, another field that might interest you since you seem most interested in kinesiology is occupational therapy. My friend is a masters student in OT and expects around 80k after graduation. There is a big demand for OTs as well. Just a suggestion. :) Good luck with your career searching!

Members don't see this ad :)
If money is your motivation, there are easier paths to more money.